PDA

View Full Version : Running LW 8.5 on duel core prossesers.

Kelly Wilcox
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
When I run lightwave layout on my duel core unit, both prossesers only run at 50%????

Is there a way to make the software use the full power of the prossesers?

Otherwise, why buy a duel prosseser.

Any help would be great!

CC Rider
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
a software application has to be written to be able to take advantage of multiple processors...I'm not sure but I didn't think 8.5 had that capability.

hrgiger
09-10-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure, but I thought 8.5 was multithreaded for rendering at least. Have you checked to see if there is a multi-threaded option in the render options panel? If so, you need to specify the number of processors you have.

Elmar Moelzer
09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Hello Kelly

Make sure that you set Render Threads to 2 or more in your Render Properties Window. That way LightWave will use both your CPUs for rendering, which is where it is needed most.
If you are running both Layout and Modeler at the same time, you can assign a specific CPU to Modeler to have the other one for Layout and use both for rendering.
You can do that in the Windows Tasks Manager. That way also both CPUs will be used fully.
LightWave 9.5 also has the option to use both CPUs to accellerate the deformation of objects in Layout.
This is how you get most out of your Dual CPU system (with LightWave that is)
CU
Elmar

virtualcomposer
09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I had a Quad core G5 and was running 8.3 and all 4 were being used about 97% each and sometimes fluctuated from that so it's def not LW. Could be the thread settings as Elmar Moelzer said.