PDA

View Full Version : How far away are we

badllarma
07-31-2003, 11:47 PM
Ok so I really enjoyed the streams saw a little / lot of Lightwave 8 so the real question is how far away are we from getting our hands on it, working on a character now that I would just love to use those new rigging tools on.
:D

js33
08-01-2003, 01:59 AM
Yeah I don't even want to bother with character stuff in 7.5 after seeing the new stuff. :D

Let us have it.:D :D :D :D

Cheers,
JS

colkai
08-01-2003, 02:52 AM
I could find so many uses for the new tools,
I'll end up with even more unfinished projects
(Know what I mean Badllama? ;))

badllarma
08-01-2003, 04:42 AM
colkai

I think I do ;)

come on Newtek how about a 7.89435644 release NOW just before 8 with the character rigging tools in :D

you cruel, cruel people.........:D

Stranahan
08-01-2003, 09:23 AM
You're closer than Q4...

CB_3D
08-01-2003, 09:49 AM
So this is the official announcement that L8 will ship Q3?
;)

badllarma
08-01-2003, 09:56 AM
coooooool..................:D

harlan
08-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Well at this point, no matter when they release it, the title is very appropriate "L8"!!! ;)

Just playin round.

PS - For the retards, just sound it out...that's right...you can do it! hehe

milkman
08-01-2003, 10:42 AM
When is Q3?

dzogchen
08-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Q3 is now. JUL - SEP.

m_luscombe
08-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Any news on Modeler improvements?

I was under the impression that's what the 5 months were for.

Although, I don't mind waiting for 8.1 or something to upgrade, if it's not too far away.

ngrava
08-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by m_luscombe
Any news on Modeler improvements?

I was under the impression that's what the 5 months were for.

Although, I don't mind waiting for 8.1 or something to upgrade, if it's not too far away.

FIVE MONTHS?!!

Were did you hear it was going to be five months? Five months from now is Q1 2004! Showing us all those great features and making us wait till next year would be damn near abusive. ;)

No, I think it's going to be more like another month or two... Well, I can dream can't I?! :D

-=GB=-

m_luscombe
08-01-2003, 11:52 AM
August
September
October
November
December

That's 5 months. Q4 is Oct/Nov/Dec.

Hey, release it early, I don't mind. I'd still like to know about modeler improvements.

Especially if they tackle n-gons and an edge mode. Relax UV maps, etc. And possibly incorporate the 20 or so modeler plugins I use on a daily basis. That would be nice =)

colkai
08-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Stranahan
You're closer than Q4...

Laides and genteelmen - Mr Lee Stranahan - the messer of minds, ..he fool with yo' head ;)

So how many of us had a little "yeah yeah yeah"? (think muttley) :D

KOlson
08-01-2003, 08:54 PM
You're closer than Q4...

OOoooh nice!! so is it coming in Q3? :)

milkman
08-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Hey Lee, whats the first letter of the month that y'all are planning to release Lightwave in?

(hey, he said closer than q4... why not this?)

Oh, also, Lee, I'm willing to sign an NDA if you don't want everyone to know ;)

KOlson
08-01-2003, 09:00 PM
at least a public beta hehe

Emmanuel
08-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Well, if Mr Spock, erm, Cross is managing it the way he does amange toaster dev stuff, we might see updates in much shorter intervals now.
So maybe 8 in a few months and a few months later 8.x

Limbus
08-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Stranahan
You're closer than Q4...

Maybe I will get LW 8 before I get my upgrade to 7.5 and DFX+ :D :D

Who knows.

Florian

ngrava
08-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by m_luscombe
August
September
October
November
December

That's 5 months. Q4 is Oct/Nov/Dec.

Hey, release it early, I don't mind. I'd still like to know about modeler improvements.

Especially if they tackle n-gons and an edge mode. Relax UV maps, etc. And possibly incorporate the 20 or so modeler plugins I use on a daily basis. That would be nice =)

Oops! Well, yes I was a little off in my math. :rolleyes: Sorry about that. What I said still holds true. That's just to long ahead of schedule to be showing software so close to a release state.

BTW, I just wanted to mention that "Relax" is already in Modeler. It's just not called that. The "Smooth" command does exactly that. It interpolates Vertex position across normals. Actually the LightWave way is much more advanced then the ones in Max, Maya and XSI because You have more control over the smoothness and iterations.

-=GB=-

CB_3D
08-03-2003, 10:57 AM
And just as much interactive control or more!

Add an endomorph and call it "Smooth". Smooth out the model with, say, 50 iterations.

Now use the Airbrush tool to paint the smoothing into a new endomorph. If You use a very low value like 1% you have very fine control over the relaxing of the mesh.

The same is true for sculpting out/in. You can paint a smoothscaled version of the model to produce bulges, muscles and...well, to sculpt. When you are done you can apply the whole morph to the base.

Surely not as refined as Z-brush, but it works well for me.

UnCommonGrafx
08-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Neat application, CB_3D!

Thanks,

DaveW
08-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ngrava

BTW, I just wanted to mention that "Relax" is already in Modeler. It's just not called that. The "Smooth" command does exactly that. It interpolates Vertex position across normals. Actually the LightWave way is much more advanced then the ones in Max, Maya and XSI because You have more control over the smoothness and iterations.

I'm not at my LW computer so I can't be sure, but I thought that didn't work on UV maps, and that's what people are asking for.

Dodgy
08-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Aha, your thinking is too limited :) (and it was explained a little obtusely :) Say you have a head, with ears and overlapping bits which would overlap in a UV mapping done say spherically. What you do is this....

1/Create an endo morph 'smooth'
2/apply the smooth tool to your head till it all blobs out and all the folds have been unfolded.
3/create another endomorph 'fine'
4/ Use the airbrush set to the vmap 'smooth' to paint the overlapping bits only, so only they get unfolded.
5/ Apply UV mapping 'spherical'.
6/ The UV map is now all unfolded for you, with a lot less overlap. You can go back to the endo morphs and tweak before mapping again if the results aren't quite there.

ALTERNATIVELY

1/select the problem areas.
2/create a new endomorph 'smooth2'
3/Apply smoothing to the selected points/polys till they flatten out.
4/Apply UV mapping .
3/the mapping is all unfolded :)

This a stunning idea I had never thought of myself, thanks cb_3d and ngrava!!!

pixelranger
08-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Also, in the enomorph, rotate the head 90 degrees in the y axis so it is facing +x. Now when you make the UV map, the face will be in the middle and not on the side.
However, this doesn't work as nicely as in Maya, because LW still has the SubD UV jerky deformations. Well, the smoothing works, but because of the SubDs' nature, you still get unwanted deformations in the texture.
But I have a feeling this will get fixed sooner or later, and there are ways to hide the bad areas.

CB_3D
08-03-2003, 05:00 PM
Yes, Meni described a technique similar to yours to unwrap models and UV them on an endomorph. Not sure if the tut is still available .

Funny thing is that lately i have begun to integrate endomorphs into my modelling workflow. Maybe i am subconcsiously preparing myself for hirarchical subdivision:confused:

agh, i say no more

KOlson
08-03-2003, 07:00 PM
http://www.menithings.com/main.php?action=how&how_id=7&manual=1

sire
08-04-2003, 07:27 PM
I used a similar technique to conform an uv map of a head to photos of a face which would serve as a base for the texturing.

A photo is loaded as backdrop and then I create an endomorph for rotating the head so that it matches the orientation of the photographed one. To match the perspective amount the head gets tapered along depth accordingly. Then some rough tweaking with magnet until the uv map can be generated with a simple parallel projection along z.

I did this for various photos shot from different angles, created another uv map with spherical mapping (ironing out overlaps using similar relaxing methods as described earlier in this thread) and used this latter one as target to bake the different photos into it. The results of the baking process I then stacked up in photoshop and masked the appropriate areas out.

cresshead
08-05-2003, 04:48 PM
has someone done this tutorial as i'm still a little unsure exactly what to unweld...etc..it's a little vague.

if someone has a video walkthru of this can you post it up in a website?

steve g

Edbittner
08-06-2003, 05:10 AM
Sorry to get back on topic but, I heard Proton say on the "stream", 4th quarter. Don't know if it still is, but I heard him.
Ed

KOlson
08-06-2003, 06:42 AM
I do recall hearing Proton say 4th quarter as well...

badllarma
08-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Well i'll acept 4 th quarter so long as it's running correctly and we don't have to wait until Q1 2004 to get it sorted out;)