PDA

View Full Version : A new computer? s ?

footfur
09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
I have a dual core dual zeon 3.2ghz 4 gigs ram. running lw 9.5 64bit. works fine till i render "big" scene. In the middle of what looks to be a 50 hour render. This is getting unacceptable as im soon going to be putting animations in HD video.
To all of you who`ve been doing this longer than me: would i be better off getting 10 barebones quad cores(3500$ or so ) or a new dual quad core xeon for twice the money. 10 machines seems to be the better cheaper solution. the more cores the better? right?

better is the enemy of good enough

toby
09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Is that 50 hours per frame? If so, and you plan to render an animation, I'd re-think the render bigtime. What's making it take so long?

If it's 50 hours for the whole animation, that ain't nothin'

If you're going to render hd video, the mini-render farm would be the way to go.

footfur
09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
A 450 frame animation.( actually from dan albans broadcast courseware 9.5) I think it eventually took 60 some hours. averaging 10 or 11 mins a frame 236,904 pollys. Yeah i quess that may not be too bad considering. task manager sees 8 proccesors and they are usually running 80 to 100% the whole time. thanks for confirming what i suspected.
if u wanna dance to the music u gotta pay to the piper.

toby
09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Yea I've spent a week rendering some animations. That's why the big studios like pixar and sony use a tenth as much raytracing as the average lw user...

Personally, I wouldn't get a render farm, cuz I'm inexperienced and too lazy to manage a network and renderfarm software - it's definitely not plug & play... I'd probably get an 8-core and simplify my render

BigHache
09-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm looking to build a small farm myself. I've been looking at the barebones as well, but I'd really like to get my nodes rackmounted. That's a pricier path though. I suppose I could get a rack and just put shelves all down it and stick two barebones on each shelf. Not the first option but I don't have the budget of a studio either.

Hopper
09-12-2008, 06:09 PM
If you are looking for creating server farms, I would suggest not going the ameteur route of trying to cram a bunch of pc's in a rack and hope you have enough power and cooling. By the time you rig it all up, you could have spent a few extra pennies and purchased a real blade system. There are many to choose from and they are becoming very affordable. And considering long term, you will suck so much power out of the socket trying to do it the hard way, you won't be getting much ROI.

cresshead
09-13-2008, 04:22 AM
get a apple mac pro 8 core they're cheap and well put together..then throw on windows o/s

BigHache
09-15-2008, 10:44 AM
If you are looking for creating server farms, I would suggest not going the ameteur route of trying to cram a bunch of pc's in a rack and hope you have enough power and cooling.

I have thought about that and I would calculate max wattage before I get into it. Cooling I'm not sure what to do yet. Part of my want for a farm vs. one large system is I don't have the available budget to plop down at once. In total I don't think I could have more than 3 nodes anyway. Even two would be great.

virtualcomposer
09-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Get a Mac Pro 8 core. If possible build a render farm out of them.

Hopper
09-15-2008, 06:08 PM
... I don't have the available budget to plop down at once. In total I don't think I could have more than 3 nodes anyway. Even two would be great.
Very understandable. You may also want to check out some of the blade systems that start with an empty chassis and you add as you need. I have to admit, the initial output of cash is a little more than the price of a couple of bare bones PC's, but future additions will be much cheaper and not to mention WAY more convenient. Just take it out of the box, cram it in, image it and off you go.

Another convenience is that your power requirements don't change much over time with a chassis, but the downside is you are obviously using max power regardless of how many systems you have in it. I think Dell (unfortunately) has a small business blade system out now with a variable power system. Go check out their PowerEdge systems. You might find what you need. I'm not a fan of Dell server systems at all, but they may be a good route for you.

Hopper
09-15-2008, 06:15 PM
There is a PowerEdge 1855 chassis with 10 blades (dual 2.8GHz w 2x73GB hd per blade) for under $7,000 on an eBay store. That's 20 CPU's and 1.4TB of space .. Not a bad deal - and that's about the going rate for that system.

You could upgrade a bit more by populating them with dual 3.6's and 4GB RAM each for a buck under $10k.

footfur
09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
thank all of you again for responding. a 40 core rack mount blade server for 8k. Or 2.4 ghz barebones quad cores for 500. for 8k id get 16 machines= 64 cores. more hassle no doubt to set up. but electricity is cheap where i live. and F___ al gore and his global warming hoax.
i think im going to start out w 4 barebones quadcores. 16 more cores for 2k.
At the end of the day even if it takes longer to render whats the point of having all these cool surfaces and textures- reflective glass and metal etc if you cant use them.
But im new at this and hard headed

Better IS the enemy of good enough

Hopper
09-15-2008, 10:26 PM
At the end of the day even if it takes longer to render whats the point of having all these cool surfaces and textures- reflective glass and metal etc if you cant use them.
Very true. Do what's right for you and your budget. If you're happy with it, that's all that really matters. I would suggest getting motherboards with onboard video to keep your component cost down. If you get a hand full of Arctic fans (which aren't as tall as the stock fan), you can always rack mount the motherboards also. It basically a home-made balde server without all the bells, whistles and on-board switch.

virtualcomposer
09-16-2008, 02:47 AM
and F___ al gore and his global warming hoax.

LOL!! I totally agree. From what scientist are saying, quite a few meteors hit this earth totally eliminating all life and the earth still came back and here we are. Explain that Al!

toby
09-16-2008, 03:13 AM
and F___ al gore and his global warming hoax.
WOW I never thought I'd meet you, you're the one!! The one who's smarter than 1000's of scientists, without even needing any evidence or study.

Acid lakes - total myth. Lead poisoning - propaganda. Centuries of scientific study - all a lie. Unless it makes money or kills fereigners of course, then it's all good.

clagman
09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I can tell ya that the computers might be the bulk of the purchase, you can't forget all the other hidden costs that go with it. You'll need a gigabit switch, at least a 2 post rack (4 post is better), UPS and some way to vent all the heat. We are also assuming that your floor can take the weight (UPS + battery is over 300 lbs) Anyway, if you are looking for inexpensive blade servers try xicomputer. They even toss in the sliding rails for free.

footfur
09-16-2008, 06:50 PM
thats what i originally thought of. At my day job we got a primo sheet metal guy who could build me a big case. and the guy who helped me build my current system said (for him) it would be a piece of cake to make a blade server. It may be 2 months before i get to do this but when I do, I`ll post how it turns out.

adapt improvise overcome.

by the way the founder of the weather channel called man-made global warming "the greatest hoax in the history of mankind". I think he is in the process of filing a class-action lawsuit against the beloved Algore and the big carbon credit industry