PDA

View Full Version : please help me!!

ddogg66
07-31-2003, 08:55 PM
I have a major problem with my amiga 2000. I'm sure all the hardware components are good, i just don't know how to get it to boot off the hard disk. I was installing the DPS TBC-III, which requires removing the expansion board temporarily. I did this and replaced the expansion board. Then, i started up the computer and it is asking me for a disk?? I an totally new to the amiga so i don't know what to do. I had toaster 2.0 software installed and workbench 1.2? but don't have disks to reinstall nor would i know how to do this. I have many modern computers but love the toaster for it's switching and video delay effects. Please help me find the right coarse of action. If someone out there could help me fix it, I'd be willing to pay.

Thanks. :)

prospector
07-31-2003, 10:44 PM
might be same as others
I got the 3000 and 4000
so 2000 might be same

when ya reboot, hold down both mouse keys till a different screen comes up
will show all your boards in machine and ask if you want to boot from floppy or HD.

Ya didn't move any HD cables and maby got one loose as ya was inside?

wilebill
07-31-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by ddogg66
I have a major problem with my amiga 2000. I'm sure all the hardware components are good, i just don't know how to get it to boot off the hard disk. I was installing the DPS TBC-III, which requires removing the expansion board temporarily. I did this and replaced the expansion board. Then, i started up the computer and it is asking me for a disk?? I an totally new to the amiga so i don't know what to do. I had toaster 2.0 software installed and workbench 1.2? but don't have disks to reinstall nor would i know how to do this. I have many modern computers but love the toaster for it's switching and video delay effects. Please help me find the right coarse of action. If someone out there could help me fix it, I'd be willing to pay.

Thanks. :)

Over the course of about 13 years, I've maintained all my Amigas myself, and have learned that if something goes wrong, it's usually something very simple.

Since you took out a board (what sort of expansion board are you talking about?), the problem is probably there. Normally there's a bad connection somewhere that keeps the computer from working properly.

Do these things: unplug the power to the computer, ground yourself using one of those straps, and pull all the cards out of the computer. Using either a pencil eraser (or preferably one of those white vinyl erasers), clean all the contacts on the bottom of the cards that plug into the computer. Unplug all hard drive connections and plug them back in to make sure they're snug. Push down firmly on all the compter's and card's chips to make sure they're seated well. Then carefully put everything back together. If you have it, also blow out all the dust with some canned air.

While you're in there, check that big blue barrel-shaped battery to make sure it's not leaking.

Turn it back on, and 9 times out of 10 it will work.

Good luck,
Billy

ddogg66
08-01-2003, 05:41 AM
so 2000 might be same

when ya reboot, hold down both mouse keys till a different screen comes up
will show all your boards in machine and ask if you want to boot from floppy or HD

When I did this at first (before anything else) I got the message "software failure-Press left mouse button to continue Error 00000004- Task 000000003F0B"

Do these things: unplug the power to the computer, ground yourself using one of those straps, and pull all the cards out of the computer. Using either a pencil eraser (or preferably one of those white vinyl erasers), clean all the contacts on the bottom of the cards that plug into the computer. Unplug all hard drive connections and plug them back in to make sure they're snug. Push down firmly on all the compter's and card's chips to make sure they're seated well. Then carefully put everything back together. If you have it, also blow out all the dust with some canned air.

Just unbelievable. I thought 'it couldn'nt be that easy' but since you have so much experience i took you at your word and WOW!!! you were sooo right!! Thanks you so much for your help. I took out all the cards and cleaned the contacts as you had described. Then I took my canned air and cleaned out the slots (which had a good amount of dust). After replacing all the cards and starting up the HDD started to react again (it wasn't doing anything before) and the workbench booted normally!! Yea!! Oh, and the battery is in good shape.

NOW, i have another question (not sure if I should open another thread) so hear it is:

When booting on workbench i recieve multiple "block errors" and have been told this is because at some point i turned my system off while it was writing to the HDD. Is there a way i can correct this simply?

BTW, wilebill, the expansion board i have is a 50 mHz Great Valley Products Rev 1.3 a2000-RAM32 whatever all that means :D

So wilebill, will you be my personal mentor for the amiga??:p seriously, though:D :D

wilebill
08-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by ddogg66

Just unbelievable. I thought 'it couldn'nt be that easy' but since you have so much experience i took you at your word and WOW!!! you were sooo right!!

I always am. :D

Thanks you so much for your help. I took out all the cards and cleaned the contacts as you had described. Then I took my canned air and cleaned out the slots (which had a good amount of dust). After replacing all the cards and starting up the HDD started to react again (it wasn't doing anything before) and the workbench booted normally!! Yea!! Oh, and the battery is in good shape.

I call that "screw-with-it-iviness". If you screw with everything long enough you'll either fix it or break it for good. :eek:

NOW, i have another question (not sure if I should open another thread) so hear it is:

When booting on workbench i recieve multiple "block errors" and have been told this is because at some point i turned my system off while it was writing to the HDD. Is there a way i can correct this simply?

If it's "block errors" then that may mean that the hard drive is starting to go bad. If you had turned the computer off in the middle of a write, then that usually gives you "checksum" errors.

Either way, about the only tool you can use to fix hard drive errors is Disk Salv, which you can find for free on Aminet. There are other commercial products - Quarterback Tools, which I like, and Amiback Tools. Those will fix software errors on drives, but there's nothing that can be done to fix hardware errors except back up the important data soon and try to get it on another drive.

BTW, wilebill, the expansion board i have is a 50 mHz Great Valley Products Rev 1.3 a2000-RAM32 whatever all that means :D

Okay, that's probably an '030 accelerator, pretty common on Amiga 2000's.

So wilebill, will you be my personal mentor for the amiga??:p seriously, though:D :D:D

Thanks for the offer, but I already have two full-time jobs, a wife, and 2 teen aged kids, so I think I'll pass. :rolleyes:

However, the best place to get advice would be to subscribe to the Video Toaster/Flyer mail list on yahoo. Here's the info to sign up (send an email to the addresses below:

Post message: [email protected]
Live chat: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VTFML/chat
Subscribe: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: [email protected]
List owner: [email protected]
FAQ page: http://clbaker.home.texas.net/Flyer/vtmlfaq.html

Regards,
Billy

txbob
08-24-2003, 12:05 AM
I think QB tools is the best of the programs mentioned. It will sort through the drive and mark all the bad sectors. This usually allows the drive to continue to operate successfully. If you find that you are using it often... then the drive is going bad.

If you want to buy a new drive, ( probably a good idea) it's really easy to copy the data from the old drive to the new, and then just can the old one. Make sure that you have a SCSI cable with an open connector on it, so you can run both drives at once. (btw: I never found the amiga to get too worried about SCSI termination unless you are using really long cables)

Of course there might be a problem finding old style SCSI drives. Also, The version of Workbench you are running will only support up to 999MB per partition on the drive. You'll have to format anything drive bigger than that as seperate 999MB partitions. (Forget that $160 60GB drive down at the local 'puter store...)
You will also need to make sure that you have the "HD Toolbox" software on a disk or the machine. (this is where you format and partition drives.)

Finally... I reccomend you look on AmiNet on the internet for lots of cool software, and if you need older workbench, and Toaster disks I reccomend TS computers in N. Hollywood CA. They were dealers since day 1, and sold more toasters than anyone. ( I think) I recently got 2.0 software from them. Kim is the guy to talk to there, tell him Bob sent you. ( yea, KIM is a GUY!)

Hope this helps!