PDA

View Full Version : my snow won't render

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Well, I finally got my snow to fall and it's looking good. In the begining it even rendered perfectly. For some reason, I cannot now get it to render. Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.orloffconsulting.com/ftp_transfers/SnowWontRender.jpg

thanks so much...
Cbreton49

ctuller
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Are you using the Perspective camera? Try with the Classic Camera.

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I am using the classic camera

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I just tried both and neither one would render the snow flakes. It did yesterday, so this has really baffled me. Same scene, same all - even tried different version of LW and different/new scene names... could this be a bug?

4dartist
09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I would try narrowing it down, turn off everything that isn't the snow emitter. And see what it looks like rendered on black. Even if it's all black, check the alpha. A good place to start. Then try putting it to volume instead of sprite, and if it renders something, take a look at your sprite settings. Viper isn't a 100% reflection of what a render will look like.

JBT27
09-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Aarrgghh!!! Is it the phase of the Moon perhaps??

The self-same thing happened to me yesterday - HVs on a primitive, rendered fine for awhile.....then wouldn't, no change, just wouldn't render. Then they did again.

This morning, I launched the scene again and the blasted HVs would not render again.....absolutely no reason why not.

So I copied the HV settings, deactivated then reactivated HVs, pasted the settings back, and it rendered again, and has continued to do so.

Yesterday was a day of patently obvious things setup correctly that just would not behave as expected, then suddenly they did, without any change to settings or LW.

Not the first time I have had days like that with LW.

Doesn't help you, but just saying 'been there, done that!'

I have no idea why you should be getting this. I'm thinking with mine that for all my ranting, it must have been something daft that I missed, even though I'm convinced I didn't change anything.....just because I completely believe I didn't does not necessarily mean I did not :D

Hope you get it sorted.

Julian.

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks 4dartist and JBT27 - I will try both and let you know - and there is no full moon or anything, so I am baffled, but I have experienced LW doing crazy off the wall things in my day, and there's been a lot of them - days that is...

cagey5
09-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Just as an aside. Have I read that right.. your particles size is 6 feet 2 inches?

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 02:04 PM
yes, i increased because i thought i would see them better, should i turn it down?

cagey5
09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I try and aim for real life scale where possible. When I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem such as you describe I do as 4Dartist suggests and turn off everything not directly relevent and if I get for instance the snow back then I start turning the other options back on one by one.
Something else I try in similar situations is to make the troublesome element as colourful as possible, bright green or purple for instance just to be sure I'm not losing something basically grey in a background that's basically grey. Once I can see it nice and bright I have the confidence to go back to more natural colours.

But reading JBT27s' experience it sounds like there may be a ghost in the machine.

Good luck.

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
well I have been playing with 4Dartists suggestion and it's working, I get them back and once I start bringing other objects into the scene they stop rendering. will try and narrow what is causing them to go away and replace the object, maybe?
thanks!

cagey5
09-09-2008, 02:24 PM
You know your camera moves as you load objects depending on the size of the object unless it's been keyframed before you load don't you?

JBT27
09-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Yep, just to back that up, modelling and animating real-scale is something I always do.....partly because alot of people for alot of years on these forums recommended it, especially for dynamics stuff, but also personally I find it keeps some sanity when modelling buildings and landscapes.

Real world things have real world sizes that are known or can be averaged - that sounded lame but you know what I mean :) - and I often think it just keeps some sense and order to a project to stick to those.

Also, if it is an option, have you considered doing this in comp?

Julian.

4dartist
09-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Well, without the scene I can only speculate obviously, but here are some things that I can imagine would cause particle to render differently or invisible when you start turning objects on.

1. You turn on an object that casts a shadow onto the particles. Thus making the particles black or result in something different than expected. Could be, sky dome object or something else.

2. You turn on an object that is transparent that's in between camera and particles. Without Raytrace transparency on they wouldn't render. Also, if your Ray Recursion Limit was set too low they would disappear when seeing through a transparent object. (like looking out a window at the snow)

Another good troubleshoot tip with hypervoxels, is to save your hypervoxel settings out to a file, then deactivate that null in the left list, and re-activate it. Let it stay at the default settings, and try rendering it. I do that now and again when something odd is happening. Then when I know it's rendering right i reload and if it's screwed up again, i know its my settings in the hypervoxels.

Also relaunching LW and trying is always a good idea, but I think you said you did that.

Other than that you'll have to either share the scene, or maybe someone else has a good suggestion, and finally just figuring out which object you toggle on that is killing the hypervoxels and finding out why that happens.

My feelings are that it isn't a bug, just something being missed. Every once in a while gotta troubleshoot a weird *** problem.

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 03:31 PM
well i just upgraded from 9.2 to 9.3.1 and it made a world of difference.... but i sure want to thank you for your suggestions and i will keep them as i will try them as well.
thanks so very much....
cbreton49

4dartist
09-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Ah ok well glad you got it workin!

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 05:15 PM
yes, thanks so much!! and what kind of aero animation do you do 4dartist?

4dartist
09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I work for JF&A a company in Houston, TX that makes a lot of aerospace animations. We tend to do a lot of NASA mission animations, to help promote the mission (usually internally). We also do some aviation animation work, like future aircraft designs and the such.

Seems like almost every single day, i use hypervoxels. Smoke trails from rockets, small rocket thrusts on space craft, dust billowing from a crew capsule land based landing, water splash from water landings, and etc etc. They are mega handy, but do have some annoying aspects. (mainly gradient control, stepped particle age and how the luminosity and opacity are mixed)

Fun stuff!

cbreton49
09-09-2008, 05:38 PM
wow, sounds exciting!! I wish I could be that advanced. I love the 3D stuff and LW and putting things all together, but I wish I had this opportunity when I was a lot younger.... I work in aviation accident reconstruction, and I love it.
Thanks!

4dartist
09-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Ah pretty cool! So you show your findings and reconstruct the events of a crash in 3d?