PDA

View Full Version : Kurv Studios - Are the videos worth the PAIN!

MiniFireDragon
09-09-2008, 11:57 AM
1st off, I just want to say the the Videos from Kurv have been extremely useful, when they work!

Well, a few months ago I ordered several videos from Kurv. 2 of those videos have issues. I have emailed both parties (Author and Kurv) as well as PM'd author. I sent two emails to the author (because of possible spam block) and once through Kurv's automated emailer.

It's been 2 weeks since 1st email and I got nothing to show for it.

Recently I sat down to watch one of the other videos and that one has errors (which is the one I am trying to get righted now). So far, out of the 8 Videos I purchased from Kurv, at least 1/2 of them have some kind of issues with it.

And this isn't the 1st time I've been ignored by Kurv. I watched one of the videos when I 1st bought them and sent Kurv (not the author) an email and still no response. Hell, the 1st time I ever bought from Kurv and emailed them, the only way I could get a response was to post on these forums.

I am only posting here because every time I have gone to post into Kurv's forum I get a

"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

message and have gotten to be quite aggravated with the issue now.

So, does anyone else out there have these kind of issues with Kurv or does Kurv's Technical Support just plain sucks (aka worst then Dell)

Giacomo99
09-09-2008, 12:15 PM
They have an 800 number you can call. You might want to give that a try.

CMT
09-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I've only bought one vid from Kurv. Haven't had aproblem with that one. But I also get an email from them about every other day it seems about special offers.... They need the same email frequency for dealing with support.

GregMalick
09-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I've bought at least a dozen training DVD's from Kurv.
Their response has been excellent.

I have had issues with a couple videos and they have replaced them for no charge. One tutorial had enough complaints about the audio that they actually gave me a different video (this time by Larry Shultz) to make up for it. BTW, audio issues from live sessions can definitely be an issue. Trainers are pretty occupied during a live session to be futzing around with mic issues.

Wes sometimes takes days to respond to emails so the 800-number is a good suggestion. If you have a bad disk, I'd ask whether you can simply download the video - that way you can get it much sooner (works for me).

Regarding server unavailability - I usually contact Wes using SpinQuad instead of the Kurv site. I've been hanging out on SpinQuad about four years - and that site is very stable. Go there and PM and email Kurv about your issues. He always seems to go out of his way to make sure issues are resolved and customers are satisfied.

And call that 800 number. They aren't Dell with 24x7 coverage - but they are serious about making things right.

antsj
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Yes.:agree:

I have had experience with Wes and I think he often works as best as possible to get things done in timely manner. Videos have been helpful and downloads are as Gregg said best option to use in purchase.

He is a single person operator and his service is very personable. Much worth the effort also.

aj

MiniFireDragon
09-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I guess that is the next step. I just seem to get a response when I post a complaint after trying the electronic means of contact.

The issue I have had was with the Definitive Rigging Guide. One of the chapters was duplicated. The posts date back to 2006, u'd think Kurv would have fixed the CD by now before they ship it.

vplukas
09-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Had the same problem. The dvd I received had very low production values and very poor audio in many spots. I emailed and called a number of times but never received a response from their sales. The quality of D. Ablan's videos are much better.

SplineGod
09-09-2008, 07:52 PM
minifiredragon,
I forwarded your PM to KURV. I agree with the others. The majority of the time KURV responds in a timely manner. I do realize that when its just you it can feel like youre being put on the back burner which isnt the case. I know he literally gets hundreds of emails a day that he has to sift thru. Theres always going to be times where someone might fall thru the cracks. I would be a bit more patient and Im sure he will get to you. :)

As far as being worth the pain I would say so. :)

kurv
09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
MiniFireDragon, sorry for the hassle, I have not seen your email, but then again, I don't think your using the name MiniFireDragon in the email :).

If you will email me your order number I will look into this ASAP.

Sorry for the delays... been at the hospital with a relative for the last few days.

Please subject the email -> MiniFireDragon

I will need your order number.

Thanks!!

MiniFireDragon
09-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Kurv -

So what you are saying is this page:

http://www.kurvstudios.com/contact_us/index.php

is not the way to contact Kurv? Other then that there is no email listed on site to send to that I could find.

MiniFireDragon
09-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I would be a bit more patient and Im sure he will get to you. :)
As far as being worth the pain I would say so. :)

Well, I guess I could have waited a few more days, after all I didn't send Kurv a message until September 5th. But this is also not the 1st time I haven't been responded back to from Kurv Studios. Such as the message sent 3/31/2008 on the Alien Plant life video.

And when I couldn't post the request on Kurv's Forums I came here because I seen Kurv lingering around and figured they'd get the message eventually. And I wouldn't be so fussy if this was the 1st time it happened. I have 3 orders with Kurv, and each order I had contacted them, and the only time I was able to get a response is when I screamed here.

And I do love the Videos, they have helped so many times.

kurv
09-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I will work on this ASAP and get you information this week. I got your email today and will respond to you.

No I am not saying the contact us page is not a good way to get a hold of us. What I was saying was that several things could have happened... from we responded and your spam filter blocked it or ours blocked yours. Either way we get 99% of the emails sent to us.. and respond. We are not sure what happened to yours, we apologize.

We will get back to you...

Paul Goodrich
09-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Wes,

I have the same problem with the rigging video. I've emailed Larry (he told me to talk to you and/or post on spin quad) and you and posted the problem on spin quad and here. I've gotten no response and saw others who had also posted with the same issue. They were directed to a link that's dead. It's still dead by the way. I would like to have the missing video. my email is :

[email protected]

A response this time would be nice. Thank you.

Paul Goodrich

kurv
09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, I guess I could have waited a few more days, after all I didn't send Kurv a message until September 5th. But this is also not the 1st time I haven't been responded back to from Kurv Studios. Such as the message sent 3/31/2008 on the Alien Plant life video.

And I do love the Videos, they have helped so many times.

The rigging errata files are located here - http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2305

The displacement files are located here - http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2306

kurv
09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Wes,

I have the same problem with the rigging video. I've emailed Larry (he told me to talk to you and/or post on spin quad) and you and posted the problem on spin quad and here. I've gotten no response and saw others who had also posted with the same issue. They were directed to a link that's dead. It's still dead by the way. I would like to have the missing video. my email is :

[email protected]

A response this time would be nice. Thank you.

Paul Goodrich

Sorry Paul, see above...

MiniFireDragon
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Thank you very much Wes.

Paul Goodrich
09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Got it, thanks Wes

Paul Goodrich

jaxtone
09-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I ordered a couple of videos a few years ago, and I had no problems with the delivery or support, my problem was of another kind. First I will assure that I don´t want to hurt anyones feelings and also mention that is my subjective opinion. Naturally I wont tell which videos I am talking about since that might put the narrator and teacher on them in a bad perspective. So lets blur him out in at a safe distance.

Let me first say this, I am a live performance artist, mentor, team leader and customer friendly consultant in my own film and media company since 20 years. I am well aware of the energy you must keep up to get attention so people and business are awake and interested in what you sell. This is what happened when I watched the first CD:

I fell asleep somewhere between 00:01:22 and 00:02:00! (Sorry guys but thats the truth, it was so boring and the voice just put me to sleep without being able keep my eyes open).

I remember I had some correspondence with a representant at Spinquad about the jagged way to create IK-setups and Character Rigs in Lightwave´s earlier versions. I admit that I was frustrated and negative over LW´s backward interface and work flow in this matter, but the answer was even stranger.

The guy I communicated with at Spinquad said he could not understand my opinion because Lightwave always had been that way. (Right)! I who just popped out from 6 months in Maya´s character interface and three months in XSI, did not see the advantage of writing an amount of (x) numbers and rename an amount of (x) bones and filling in all these boxes before I even came to the conclusion that LW´s character setup was one of the most old and shaky I ever experienced. Knowing that other softwares had more user friendly methods to limit the time in doing this made me sick. (Now remember that I of some inexplicable reason have been a faithful Lightwave user through the years).

I will never propose that knowledge is bad, and I understand that Spinquad´s experts are about the best in understanding complicated things or being able to find solutions through advanced scripts or work around tricks in Lightwave 3D. But I am still 100% convinced that Lightwave always have had a very sick way to create character setups and that there probably exists many unfulfilled wishes about their user interface. So hearing this answer from Spinquad made me think: "They probably thank NewTek for this awkward interface since Spinquads business is based on the fact that many people just don´t understand the Lightwave interface. (It´s a free world and I do not accuse anyone for having answers on questions and to sell them out to people who really wanna know. Thats a fact that is connected to our world of financial systems and not the point of view why I am writing this).

Here is my opinion:
NT´s future agenda must involve a more user friendly interface and functions that don´t force us to be the problem. I am pretty sure that most artists that gets into 3D don´t have dreams about being skilled in scripting or perfect programmers. It´s about time that NT put a high priority in the creative part of the world, not just the technical percent of the human race.

geothefaust
11-17-2008, 01:15 AM
I hate bumping old threads, but, I recently purchased Rigging: The Definitive Guide. I'm finding it useful, but I am having the missing video problem. Which, of course turns out to be not that big of a deal, because I found the errata on it. But, What codec is that using? I've installed divx and xvid, neither work.

So what's the deal? What codec does this use?

kurv
11-17-2008, 01:25 AM
They should be using the EnSharpen codec. you can download them here.

http://www.kurvstudios.com/customer_service.php

Let me know if this does not help you.

Also, if you have other issues, please email us at sales1 at kurvstudios dot com and get us your order number and we will help you ASAP!

geothefaust
11-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Hot damn, quick as hell! Thanks!!

Edit: Thanks Wes! That did it. Now back to watchin' I go... :)

kurv
11-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Awesome, glad your back to watching!

Once your done.... we have about 2-4 HOURS of free IK Booster tutorials online at www.vfxcast.com. I would suggest finishing the video your watching now, watch the free tutorials, and then if you feel IKB is a viable technology for you, we have about 7 hours of training on that as well. We have seen a LOT of people create incredible animation after watching this series.

Thanks!

wsantiago
11-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I was going to buy the ikb video yesterday and i decided on the download until it said that it was going to cost an additional 2 dollars for the download. This is crazy, if anything the download should be 10 dollars less since you are saving on packaging resources and time spent burning the cd or dvd. To add that people are complaining about the audio on this title.

kurv
11-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I was going to buy the ikb video yesterday and i decided on the download until it said that it was going to cost an additional 2 dollars for the download. This is crazy, if anything the download should be 10 dollars less since you are saving on packaging resources and time spent burning the cd or dvd. To add that people are complaining about the audio on this title.

Completely understand where your coming from, however...

We tried that and the bandwidth charges are simply incredible. Your saving yourself a lot on shipping and just covering the bandwidth of the server.

Thank you sir :)

geothefaust
11-20-2008, 11:41 PM
I happen to back you up on that Wes. Some people just do NOT understand how the internet really works.

Basically, this **** isn't free. Man up, pay your fee. You're saving on shipping and getting the video INSTANTLY.

wsantiago
11-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I happen to back you up on that Wes. Some people just do NOT understand how the internet really works.

Basically, this **** isn't free. Man up, pay your fee. You're saving on shipping and getting the video INSTANTLY.

You Pay it. I'll read the manual.

kurv
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Lunarpages.com has unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth:

http://www.lunarpages.com/

Can't Kurv get some space on a server like that?

We have talked to hosting companies like this several times. Fact is you get what you pay for. Either it is not 'really' unlimited or they ramp down the download speeds so that the unlimited bandwidth does not matter.

Most of these videos are over 400 megs and we have customers all over the world. Most who choose downloads are outside the US so they have more hops than usual. That also can dramatically slow the speeds on these free servers.

Thank you for the suggestion, if you are personally using these folks let me know. I would love to chat with you about it.

wsantiago, best of luck to you sir :)

geothefaust
11-21-2008, 11:39 AM
You Pay it. I'll read the manual.

Good luck. I'll see you in about, oh... 5 years with a working knowledge of LW. :thumbsup:

wsantiago
11-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Good luck. I'll see you in about, oh... 5 years with a working knowledge of LW. :thumbsup:

Been at it since the amiga days. I think I can hold my own and making a living out of it too.
Thank you very much.

Verlon
11-22-2008, 06:08 AM
I have a bout 8 videos from them and no issues whatsoever, except my wife thinking Larry needs to be a bit more lively in his presentations :) She calls him 'Mr. Monotone.'

She isn't using the material though, so her opinion is kinda far down the list since she doesn't appreciate the information being shared. She did say she liked Kevin Phillips better, though - so get project Viper.

wsantiago
11-22-2008, 10:45 AM
The manual is much better "today" than it was in those earlier years - IMO - but watching people actually USE the techniques is invaluable and several orders of magnitude above JUST reading the manual. Again, IMO, these DVD's are well worth the price - we've got LOTS of them and are never disappointed. Well... with the exception of perhaps the sound on one of them but it was not an insurmountable problem.

Considering the cost of shipping today, if you can live without the actual DVD in your hand, an extra $2 is well worth the price to download immediately and begin learning. I started using LWv4 on the Amiga, and these DVDs (and others) have been instrumental in helping me to understand concepts that are just not well explained in the manual - if at all. If it weren't for these DVDs and the tutes by Dan Ablan and Proton, I would be nowhere near as knowledgeable in LW as I am.

The manuals are great, but seeing these tools actually being used is MUCH better - again, IMO. Keep up the great work Wes, Dan, Larry, Proton and others. Thanks!

Is not the 2 dollars. I smoke more than 2 dollars in an hour. Is the principle.

geothefaust
11-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Is not the 2 dollars. I smoke more than 2 dollars in an hour. Is the principle.

The principle of what? You're not paying for shipping, you're paying for bandwidth. It's not much to ask for, for that matter. Bandwidth is nearly as expensive as shipping, depending on the file size compared to shipping destination. I'd say the real principle hear is that you're being cheap. The price is more then fair.

SplineGod
11-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I have a bout 8 videos from them and no issues whatsoever, except my wife thinking Larry needs to be a bit more lively in his presentations :) She calls him 'Mr. Monotone.'

She isn't using the material though, so her opinion is kinda far down the list since she doesn't appreciate the information being shared. She did say she liked Kevin Phillips better, though - so get project Viper.

Dont make me lively...you wouldnt like it when Im lively... :)

wsantiago
11-22-2008, 10:50 AM

I also own about 8 or more of their videos. Order all of them before downloading was possible. Always thought that their shipping charges are extreme compare to other sights. The 2 dollars download charge just broke this camels back. Again 2 dollars ain't nothing but it just ticks me off.

geothefaust
11-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Dont make me lively...you wouldnt like it when Im lively... :)

lol :D

wsantiago
11-22-2008, 10:58 AM
The principle of what? You're not paying for shipping, you're paying for bandwidth. It's not much to ask for, for that matter. Bandwidth is nearly as expensive as shipping, depending on the file size compared to shipping destination. I'd say the real principle hear is that you're being cheap. The price is more then fair.

That's your opinion and you have the right to your opinion. You know what they say about opinions. There are other sights that don't charge for downloads. Actually it is cheaper if you download. Anyway I am not here to argue about 2 dollars. You pay the 2 dollars and be happy, I won't pay the 2 dollars and I'll be happy.

geothefaust
11-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Sounds good to me, then I guess we can all stop complaining about the $2 fee. :)

Verlon
11-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I'll second on lunarpages. I have put quite a bit online with them. If you haven't spoken to them, you should.

kurv
11-22-2008, 06:29 PM
And you know... I won't pay the $2 either!

I order their DVDs to be shipped since I'm "one of those" who likes to HOLD the product. :)

Keep up the great work Wes!

(PS. Sent you a PM.)

Thank you sir, got the PM, we will definitely look into this ASAP.

All I can say is we also run more specials and discounts that most of the others. If we have to stop one or the other... I would rather keep the 2.00 charge and continue the discounts we offer.

We do listen, we will see what happens with the information you sent.

:D

Speedmonk42
11-22-2008, 07:19 PM
The only way I could get the videos to work was using Real Player.

One my most hated pieces of software.

kurv
11-23-2008, 12:00 AM
If you go to our support area / customer service we offer the codecs for you. Our videos use QuickTime... Mac and PC compatible and we have not had anyone have trouble getting them to play in QT.

Contact me if you need help.