PDA

View Full Version : Posing Armor

Skinner3D
09-08-2008, 04:01 PM
:help:
The picture shows what I built so far, and am working with.

I am trying to do simple poses with them for a 'recruitment poster'. I have bones set up on one of the armor sets so far, but each of the armor pieces is in a seperate layer right now, and they aren't in the same layer as the bones.

How do I get the armor pieces to follow the bones (without bending) and how do I get the undersuit to bend without coming through the armor?

I was thinking HardFX for the armor pieces and SoftFX for the undersuit, hence the reason they are all in separate layers, but still then the bones don't deform the object.

SplineGod
09-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Parent them to the bones. I would model the undersuit so that you have only what needs to be seen or use texture maps to make them transparent.

BlueApple
09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
To have bones not deform the rigid parts of the armor, while still bending the flexible bits underneath, I would use weight maps. Anything that you want rigid, give it a 100% weight for the bone that will move it. Let the underneath bendy bits have a graduated weight influence so they flex a little.

SplineGod
09-08-2008, 10:29 PM
The advantage of parenting the armour to the bones is that you can tweak each part slightly if you need to without effecting any bones.

BlueApple
09-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Go with Larry's method. It gives you better control and it's less work :)

evenflcw
09-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Each method has it's benefits.

Compared to parenting, weightmapping will keep your scene cleaner because your one character will not be split into n layers. You can still tweak parts simply by adding extra bones and binding to them instead. So no real advantage to the parent method imho. But then again I guess this is the hybrid of the two methods rather than an extension of the weightmapping method. Imho the only valid argument against the weightmap approach for rigid bind is that it will take slightly longer to create weightmaps than split an item into layers and bone deformation is more cpu intensive than just offsetting parented items.

Try them all. :)

Skinner3D
09-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Thank you all for you help :)

I ended up parenting the armor pieces to the bones, and then positioning the camera / characters so that the places where the armor came through aren't visible.

The final version of the picture is in the LW Finished Gallery under Gal'Dor Armor.