PDA

View Full Version : Extrude

Serling
09-08-2008, 02:00 AM
I've used extrude quite a bit, but was wondering if there is a way to extrude to/from center of a hollow disc or sphere.

For instance, if I wanted to recreate the ring in Lord of the Rings, one way to do it would be to create a disc, then an identical disc somewhat smaller and subtract the smaller from the larger. But what if I wanted to create the ring by creating a disc, deleting the top and bottom polys and extruding the inside of the polys to the center? Any way to extrude to/from the center of an object keeping all sides equal?

Bliz
09-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Do you mean 'smooth shift'?

cagey5
09-08-2008, 02:09 AM
What may be easier would be to create a short cylinder of the correct outer diameter, pick the two end polys and bevel inwards to give the required thickness, then 'bridge' to connect the two ends.

cagey5
09-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Quick picture incase the description wasn't clear..

Serling
09-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Worked beautifully cagey, thanks.

Here's the result once I sub-patched it.

cagey5
09-08-2008, 02:33 AM
cool :thumbsup:

Serling
09-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Here's how it looks with a preset surface.

meshpig
09-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Also you can sub d a single quad x 5-6+ times and mirror it end to end a few times so you get a long rectangle.

Bend it through 360 deg on x & then through 360 deg on z () and voila, a perfect torus. Advantage being that you can pattern it whilst flat as the bend tool loves lots of geometry...

m:)

meshpig
09-08-2008, 05:54 AM

... well, not quite perfect but by eye in under a minute.

tburbage
09-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Isn't this the perfect usage for a Lathe (revolve) operation? Just create the profile poly, offset by the radius, and revolve from the center? :o

meshpig
09-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Isn't this the perfect usage for a Lathe (revolve) operation? Just create the profile poly, offset by the radius, and revolve from the center? :o

How do you mean? For extruding a ring or using the bend tool to make a torus? I think there was another thread about constraining the bend tool happening concurrently and I probably got them mixed up.

Anyway, it never did constrain, it sort of snaps to axis instead... it's free flowing as it were.

Lathe, on the other hand can't deal with existing shapes. I meant for a ring the bend tool is good for, well bending a complex geometry into a ring.

m

parm
09-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Create > Primitives > More > Wedge

tburbage
10-25-2008, 07:09 PM
How do you mean? For extruding a ring or using the bend tool to make a torus? I think there was another thread about constraining the bend tool happening concurrently and I probably got them mixed up.

Anyway, it never did constrain, it sort of snaps to axis instead... it's free flowing as it were.

Lathe, on the other hand can't deal with existing shapes. I meant for a ring the bend tool is good for, well bending a complex geometry into a ring.

m

I meant for creating a circular or semi-circular shape, the first tool I think of is Lathe -- nothing to do with bending.

Silkrooster
10-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I meant for creating a circular or semi-circular shape, the first tool I think of is Lathe -- nothing to do with bending.

Yes you're correct. Lathe is excellent for this type of work. There are multiple ways of accomplishing the same thing. Some may prefer one way over another do to simplicity or quality. But generally they all do the same thing in the end.
Silk

WilliamVaughan
10-26-2008, 08:39 AM
yes...and dont forget that you dont have to Lathe 360....you can change the start and end point

JeffrySG
10-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Create > Primitives > More > Wedge

I think people forget about the Wedge tool all the time.
(myself included) :)

art
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
And lastly, you can use my interactive torus+, which can also create wedges and elliptical profiles. So, we have plenty of ways to make a ring :)