PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

skywalker113
09-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I just downloaded google Earth. I was wondering if there is a way to get the geometry from it such as the mountain ranges, and turn them into models to use as a landscape. Also, Is there a way to get the textures from it?

Jarno
09-08-2008, 12:11 AM
There are legal reasons not to do so. Much of the data in Google Earth is licensed by Google from other companies whose business is to create and sell satellite imagery. The only reason that they go along with Google giving the data away for free is that Google is obligated to restrict usage to their applications only.

---JvdL---

starbase1
09-08-2008, 12:20 AM
What sort of scale do you want to work on? There may be other approaches that will work for you...

Nick

meshpig
09-08-2008, 04:15 AM
There are legal reasons not to do so. Much of the data in Google Earth is licensed by Google from other companies whose business is to create and sell satellite imagery. The only reason that they go along with Google giving the data away for free is that Google is obligated to restrict usage to their applications only.

---JvdL---

Yeah blah mr NZ. Haven't you ever heard of "mash-ups"?

m:)

Tusnelda
09-08-2008, 05:08 AM
if you mean the elevation (and not the satellite) data with "geometry", I'd suggest you have a look at the usual suspects for digital elevation data (global or local).

simply google for GTOPO30 or SRTM

depending on what you want to do with it, you can either use the elevation data directly as displacements maps or you have to refer to more specialized tools to stitch / re-project / re-sample / convert the data to something LW can read.

there're also rumors stating that certain satellite images will be released into public domain (Landsat TM stuff).

the high-res imagery (mostly aerial photographs) you find with GoogleEarth is copyright-protected (also in the pro-version) and you might be better off contacting the respective company directly.