PDA

View Full Version : O.T.training vids?> out of 10 [zbrush]

cresshead
09-07-2008, 04:47 PM
seeing we appear to have quite a few zbrush artists around i thought it may be useful what i thought about the training vids i've bought from various training companies.

zbrush training vids i have>>

here's my zbrush dvd list i have bought and out of 10 ratings that may give you an idea of how good they are...of course just my opinion!

digital tutors>
zbrush basics [based on v 2.0] >>7.5 out of 10
introduction to zbrush 3.0 >>9.5 out of 10
sculpting techniques with zb 3 >>7 out of 10
sculpting caricature in zb3 >> 9.5 out of 10

gnomon workshop>
introduction to zbrush 2 >> 8 out of 10
building creatures using zbrush 2 >>7 out of 10
character modeling for production[ zbrush + 3dsmax] >> 7 out of 10 [3ds max >he uses polyboost and brazil]
creature modeling for production [ zbrush + 3dsmax] >>3 out of 10 [3ds max >he uses brazil]

gnomology>
female bust all chapter download >> 8.5 out of 10
meats intro to zbrush 3.0 dowload 3 chapters >>9 out of 10
zsphere characters/hands >>9 out of 10

kurv studios
get into zbrush 2 >> 5 out of 10 [was a bit slow to start with]

on my to buy list>
digital tutors>>modeling with z-sphere's [ ant model ]

prospector
09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Nothing with Lightwave hu?
I saw that Werner one but it used ZBrush UVs, I gotta find one that stays strictly with LW UV throughout.

IMI
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
The Digital Tutors Next Generation Character Texturing and Next Generation Character Detailing videos are really good.
He shows the surfacing and rendering part in Maya, but it's easy enough to transpose for LW.
But the vast majority of the courses is centered around using ZB sculpting techniques and creating the normal maps, plus alot of other major ZBrush techniques, including the ZApplink plugin for Photoshop.

Well, I made my way through the whole course, and it worked out well - I'd highly recommend it.
In fact, I think I'm gonna fire up LW and open the scene I made to test the normal maps I made in the exercises and have at a little rendering...

IMI
09-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Ah, here it is, a fresh render of the scene I set up 3, 4 months ago, whenever it was, from the Digital Tutors Next Gen Character Detailing and Texturing videos with ZBrush 3.1.

I used the OBJ they supplied, but followed along with the tutorials and made most of it with ZB. The mesh is actually fairly lo-res, and almost all the detail is ZB normal maps, set up in the node editor.
I also added some other nodes to it, to make it more interesting, such as dielectric and Sigma II and Kappa, plus some backdrop GI.
Actually, IMHO, the render I got looks alot better than the one he got with Maya. ;)

Anyhow, the Digital Tutors "Next Generation Character" series really is cool, and covers *alot* of ZB techniques. There's a modeling video too, to create the character mesh to use in ZB, but that's done entirely in Maya, but the texturing and detailing are all ZB. Really, IMO, the best ZB training I've yet seen comes from Digital Tutors. I wish we could get that dude to do some LW training. ;)

akademus
09-08-2008, 01:00 AM
There is a whole shelf of these here :D

Meats Meier's Introduction to Zbrush (both 2 and 3) 10/10

DT Sculpting caricatures in Zbrush (still going through) but some 9/10

Gnomonology tutorials, cheap, short and sweet. And very useful, give them all 10/10

Kurv studios, two with Wayne Robertson, I think, nice, but I had troubles understanding that guy speaking so 7/10 :D

Cheers

goodrichm
09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Jason Welsh's free tuts are awesome too:

http://209.132.96.165/zbc/showthread.php?t=60018&page=1&pp=15

cresshead
09-08-2008, 10:21 AM
also the free zclass room vids over on pixologic plus this too>>

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/artistspotlight/

modeling architecture with zbrush!