PDA

View Full Version : How Does One Adjust "Perspective Amount" in Layout?

Giacomo99
09-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Hello-

In Modeler, there's a slider in the Display Options--Layout tab that allows the user to adjust the "Perspective Amount" (basically, the camera focal length in the Perspective window.)

Is there a similar slider in Layout? I can't find one. Please advise.

Surrealist.
09-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Feature request? :)

Giacomo99
09-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I guess so.

CC Rider
09-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Hello-

In Modeler, there's a slider in the Display Options--Layout tab that allows the user to adjust the "Perspective Amount" (basically, the camera focal length in the Perspective window.)

Is there a similar slider in Layout? I can't find one. Please advise.

Your choice of lens will determine the amount of perspective.
The perspective adjustment in modeler is just a "cheat" since you don't have cameras to work with...

:)

Giacomo99
09-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Your choice of lens will determine the amount of perspective.

Wow! I never noticed that before! Thanks!

Surrealist.
09-09-2008, 01:25 PM
:D Yeah!

But I think it would be a cool feature to have none the less. On that note though I was kind of messing around with setting up another camera instead of using the perspective view. I set up a null at center and targeted my "perspective" camera to it and used that view instead of perspective. Kind of interesting. Not sure if I'd ever use that because you can't look at both views at the same time. But would it not be cool also to be able to assign a camera to each view? That would be handy.

CC Rider
09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I see where you're coming from...it would be nice to have a simple slider to choose your "perspective" amount, but there really is no way around controlling that with your lens. The focal length of the lens affects so many other things that you just couldn't implement a feature like that and still have a lens that reacts like real world lenses do.

A fun little project to build to examine this would be to build a "zoom/dolly" rig. Build a scene with a subject and a background. On frame 1, set the camera lens to around 100mm and fill the frame with your subject so you see just a small portion of the background. On frame 60, change the focal length of the lens to 10mm and move the camera towards the subject until the subject is basically the same size in the frame as it was in frame 1. Now scrub through the animation and see how the perspective changes.
As the camera moves in you begin to reveal more and more of the background and the subject begins to distort with more and more of the perspective distortions becoming apparent. If you end the camera move with a lower angle shot the perspective is even more apparent.
You see this effect all the time in the movies, for dramatic "revelation" moments etc...
Also notice how the (focal length) : (distance from subject) relationship is tied together in order to maintain the same relative size of the subject in the frame.

Hope it doesn't sound preachy or anything but its kindof cool if you've never seen it before or didn't realize how it was done.

Surrealist.
09-11-2008, 10:52 PM
CC, that is a great little dissertation on perspective. But we are talking about a viewport set to Perspective for scrolling around in Layout, not the "perspective" of the camera. :D

OH and EDIT: Actually there is already a "perspective" "slider" for the camera if you consider the LB Drag in the proprieties panel. You can also set that to zoom amount which is not really a focal length. There are a few other options as well but they all tie into the focal length. Just a matter of what parameter you want to change.

CC Rider
09-12-2008, 06:58 AM
CC, that is a great little dissertation on perspective. But we are talking about a viewport set to Perspective for scrolling around in Layout, not the "perspective" of the camera. :D

OH and EDIT: Actually there is already a "perspective" "slider" for the camera if you consider the LB Drag in the proprieties panel. You can also set that to zoom amount which is not really a focal length. There are a few other options as well but they all tie into the focal length. Just a matter of what parameter you want to change.

Ha Ha! Sorry if I sounded a little condescending there, I didn't mean to if I did. You just never know the level experience of other folks here on the forums.
The perspective slider in modeler really is just a cheat for not having a lens to work with though...I didn't realize you guys had changed the subject.

"Lord I apologize...and be with the starving pigmies down there in New Guinea amen"

Sorry.
:)