PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph, and Larry S.

07-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Hello,

just want to say thanks to Newtek for the stream.. i have a cable modem and the stream was great quality and consistent.. Not dropping off, no stuttering.. Just super to be able to be part of the show.. Thanks Newtek !! you guys rock..

And today i caught a couple modeling demos by larry shultz.. just wanted to say larry they were terrific !!! Reall enjoyed them and learned a lot.. Do you have any tapes/dvd's that are out there to purchase with your techniques ??

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief

[email protected]

milkman
07-31-2003, 03:53 PM
www.3dtrainingonline.com

I'm considering buying his courseware as well,

150 dollars for each module of training, SIGGRAPH special.

robinson
07-31-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by [email protected]

And today i caught a couple modeling demos by larry shultz.. just wanted to say larry they were terrific !!! Reall enjoyed them and learned a lot.. Do you have any tapes/dvd's that are out there to purchase with your techniques ??

Here are a few links to the Larry training stuff.
And BTW Larry I really hope I get about 25 % of the money this guy is giving to you by purchasing your training material !!!

Hehe, is there any advanced stuff coming out some day Larry, I really would like to see something like that !!! There is no advanced training material for the Lightwave user and there is just toooooo much for the Maya and XSI users !!! :(

THE LARRY LINKS !!!

Larry Shultz
Editor at Large - NewtekPro
Personal Site
http://www.splinegod.com
Director, Distance Program
http://www.fxacademy.com
Online courses and CDs
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com

Nemoid
07-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Splinegod ROCKS!

he's one of te best Lw users and 3D artists, very well rounded.
he knows what 3D is and i hope to become like him in the 3D field some day.

I'd like also to see some new personal projects from him,
it would be great , after all why always Meni have to dominate in Lw personal projects??

about his courseware, I have the impression that its the best courseware about Lw. and cheaper too.:D

07-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Hey milkman,

are these courses that are on special, interactive with the instructor ?

Thanks.

Mike m.

milkman
07-31-2003, 04:36 PM
If interactive means, you can show Larry (SplineGod) your work and he critiques it and tells you how to fix it, then yes, they are interactive. :)

big back comics
07-31-2003, 05:24 PM
I am enrolled in Larry's professional character series, and I would recommend them in a heart beat.

His videos are straight forward and very easy to follow. You learn workflow, theory, and advanced techniques for every aspect of the character process (modelling, texturing, setup, and animation)

Even more important are the forums where you post your work for students and Larry to critique. You can ask as many questions as you like, and Larry answers every one of them usually by the next day at the latest.

$150 per module is a steal.

Go for it! You won't regret it.

milkman
07-31-2003, 05:26 PM
big back comics: would you say the techniques learned in the training are easily carried to other 3d apps?

big back comics
07-31-2003, 05:37 PM
Hey milkman:

I am not sure I can answer that question 100% accurately since I have only used Lightwave with any depth. I learned 3d Max 2.5 in school but could never get anywhere with it.

Here's what I can say. While Larry does use Lightwave for the videos, he does explain the importance of flow, edge loops, structure, which are universal across any 3d app. He also goes in depth into the theory behind animation, rigging, and texturing so if you know your other tools then the videos would still be a valuable resource.

One other thing I would like to mention is that Larry encourages you to follow the material in the videos to learn what he is teaching, but he also is very supportive of you doing your own thing. I am trying to learn to model for cel shaded type characters and have asked a bunch of questions relating to this. Larry has provided direction on this even though it doesn't fall into his material specifically.

Thanks,

milkman
07-31-2003, 05:46 PM
I'm very heavily leaning towards purchasing them. Thanks.

kevman3d
07-31-2003, 08:34 PM
I also signed up to this stuff - I agree, it rocks! Definitely worth the investment if you seriously want to learn character stuff. In my case, I had already been using LW for a fairly long time, but I'd been avoiding the whole character modelling and animation stuff because it all looked 'too hard'. Coming to LW from seeing it being used on 'Babylon 5', obviously I obsessed over spaceships, and did lots of 'non-organic' stuff. Sure I did one or two 'robots' and cartoon characters, but I had no idea where to even start with human characters.

Everyone else was doing characters. I wanted to, but I was put off by some bad attempts at 'point by point' modelling. When Larry announced that courseware, at first I wasn't sure if I could afford it, but I did and well, lets say I can't believe just how many years I've wasted avoiding character stuff! Larry does a great job in making it all so easy to do!

As for transferring the skills to other apps? Well, I'd say in these days where most, if not all 3D app's support SubPatch modelling, yes... :)

I would tell you about the texturing, rigging and animation modules, except I haven't really made time to sit down and work through them yet! :D

If you want to see examples of characters I've built since I did Larry's modelling module, I have a few online in my WIP section here:

http://www.kevman3d.com/images.asp?section=3dwip&id=4
http://www.kevman3d.com/images.asp?section=3dwip&id=1
http://www.kevman3d.com/images.asp?section=3dwip&id=3

Kev

DaveWarner
08-01-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by [email protected]
Hello,

just want to say thanks to Newtek for the stream.. i have a cable modem and the stream was great quality and consistent.. Not dropping off, no stuttering.. Just super to be able to be part of the show.. Thanks Newtek !! you guys rock..

The webstream was quite excellent! A big Thank You to NewTek for providing it...very high quality!

And today i caught a couple modeling demos by larry shultz.. just wanted to say larry they were terrific !!!

I have to totally disagree with you there. The purpose of an onstage demo person is to entertain people and show off what the program can do...Larry seemed very uncomfortable and totally unprepared for the LW8 bone tools demo he did on Day 1.

He seemed a bit more comfortable during the demo I saw him do on Day 3, but geez...another spline patching tutorial? That'll keep the crowds entertained. Oh well, at least Deuce and William's demos made up for it...those guys were EXCELLENT!

Kudos to everyone who appeared on stage...I really enjoyed Jennifer Hachigian's celshader demos and Don McCoy's breakdown of the Children of Dune stuff was a LOT of fun to watch. (Congrats on the Emmy nomination, Don!)

Great show guys...I'm really, REALLY excited about LightWave8 now!

08-01-2003, 03:36 AM
Hello,

Dave said

"have to totally disagree with you there. The purpose of an onstage demo person is to entertain people and show off what the program can do...Larry seemed very uncomfortable and totally unprepared for the LW8 bone tools demo he did on Day 1. "

I was not talking about Day 1...And i guess what he showed did not show off what the program can do ??
I think Deuce and Proton did a great job showing off the new features.. So what is wrong with larry showing how easy it is to create an organic model ?? Some peole in the audience may not have seen this before..

And also said:

"He seemed a bit more comfortable during the demo I saw him do on Day 3, but geez...another spline patching tutorial? That'll keep the crowds entertained. Oh well, at least Deuce and William's demos made up for it...those guys were EXCELLENT! "

He did a head modeling demo also , in which he started out with a single 4 point polygon, and built a head with face details.
This WAS an excellent demo !!

Mike m.

bobakabob
08-01-2003, 06:52 AM
IMO Larry's rigging tutorial was excellent - he gave a lot of insight into the new LW 8 bones features and IK. He's always rightly talked up LW's character animation features.

Elmar Moelzer
08-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Dave, I have to disagree with you here!
Larry was as always doing an excellent demo!
You know it is one thing to complain about it and another to sit up there under super- hot/bright spotlights that are shining into your face and then still doing a great demo with pre- Beta(!)- software.
I really liked everyones demos and the guests were great too.
I also had the pleasure of watching Jeniffers demo. She too did a great job IMHO (I think it was not mentioned often enough here)!
Great job people!
CU
Elmar