PDA

View Full Version : lightwave3d and visual basic

cute_cube
09-06-2008, 10:41 AM
hi Guys
am in my first year for bachelor of information technology and am planning to do a 3d game for my final year Major project.
My problem is that I cannot find any 3d game dvpt engine for lightwave3d and visual basic.
And what are the best books that I can use if any?
thanks in advance!!

Hopper
09-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I would seriously consider using a different tool. VB is really not tooled properly for this kind of application unless you use plug-ins or ActiveX controls (which you will have to write in C++, or other .NET language.

You could definately use VB for a front end of sorts, but your real 3D work needs to be done in something more appropriate. Not to say that it can't be done, but you will more than likely have more work than that which warrants using VB in the first place. And of course all of this depends on the extend of what you want to do. VB can certainly do some basic operations I'm sure - it's just not a preferred platform - even for games.

We have a handful of programmers here on the forum. Everyone has their preferences and valid points. Get a few different opinions first and work from there.

-Cheers

cute_cube
09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
thanks for the quick reply!
is there a good book for game development for lightwave3d?

doimus
09-06-2008, 05:28 PM
If you insist on 3d game development with some kind of BASIC language, you could try Darkbasic, Blitz 3d or GLBasic. None of them is as versatile or free or object-oriented as Visual Basic, but they all allow rapid game development.
I personally use GLBasic - it's 3d features are not as powerful as Darkbasic or Blitz, but it's the only one with multiplatform support.

AFAIK, you could use XNA with Visual Basic. It's not officially supported, but it can be done. But then again, you could use C# as well.

Traveler
09-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Have a look at http://www.garagegames.com/. They use the torque 3D engine which has support for the lightwave format. (see this link (http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=view&qid=10098) for example) It's not VB though, but a language called TorqueScript, which looks much like C++, Javascript, or Actionscript.

cute_cube
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
today I asked my lecture about the programming languages we will have to learn and depending on how well we perform looks like after all we might do c and visual basic.net so
I guess I just joined the bunch of you guys.
thanks guys for the suggestions it really helped convince my lecture.
as of now we are doing turbo pascal then c then visual basic 6.0, then visual basic.net with some html,xhtml,php and c++

cute_cube
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I will give torque a try and see how it works.
thanks traveler for the links!
:D

RollerJesus
09-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Lightwave and Torque don't get along as well as GG would like you to think. It does work, but the exporter is 3rd party and unsupported.

As of my last romp, LW 9.3 (32 bit) was working well with the exporter though. I found the LW - TGE pipeline to be a bit quirky, but once you get the hang of it, it's not bad.

Although I still can't get normal mapping to work...

doimus
09-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Anything and Torque don't go along as well as GG advertises....
I am a licensed user of Torque Game Builder, and while it certainly is nice piece of software, it also has some showstopping issues. Like non-standard scripting language or DirectX issues that prevented it from being used for development of casual games (although GG advertises it just for that). Like Mac and Linux issues that prevented it from being multiplatform (although GG advertises it as being such).
And most importantly (and this goes for Torque 3D too), it's just a glorified level editor that shoeboxes you into it's own way of thinking. That may be a good thing if you're already established developer - but then you probably already have an established game engine too!
If you're just starting out, it will be more limiting than helpful. Try making isometric or hex-based 2D game in TGB, for example.
Also, since TGB uses 3D engine to display 2D stuff (2D sprites are 3D textures on flat objects), it's not actually nice to have simple little game requiring 128MB texture memory on video card - try explaining THAT to all those Intel GMA950 casual users!

To summarize things:
- If you want to develop games fast - use some kind of rapid game development language such as above mentioned BASIC variations, or get XNA studio if you're content on just Windows and Xbox360 platforms.
- If you want to learn how to develop specific skills related to game development (engine design, game logic, AI) and make your career as a game programmer - start with C++ and build on top of it.
- And if you want to combine learning C++ AND making fun and TRUE 2D games then get Allegro (http://www.allegro.cc/) library. Opensource and still untouchable for 2D gamedev.

cute_cube
09-20-2008, 01:49 AM
I never thought that researching on this topic would be such a hard decision.
But I am here so I guess I will just keep on finding out and trying until I discover my own playground.
I just downloaded xna demo,
but I want to go as far as 3d game development so I am looking for the game engine just as it is wasnt a hard decision to just stumble upon lightwave and finding out that it is one software that thinks the way I do.
in other words
am open to all suggestions I will try them and see what works
thanks again but definitely I have settled on c++ and c# that I will make sure I learn.