PDA

View Full Version : Timewarp: Rewind from END of clip

GaryG
09-05-2008, 07:13 AM
This thread was deleted without notice from the "Troubleshooter" section. I posed it there because I was hoping there was something I was missing or unable to figure out. I am reposting here.. if there is something inappropriate about the message or its location, I would appreciate being told so that I don't make the same mistake again!

The way the timewarp architecture is setup, you basically have to know something worthy of instant replay is coming.

I can accept this behavior, but imagine this situation:

You have proceeded through a game for 10 minutes with nothing worth replaying. All of a sudden, there's a big event: You press "Replay Out" to mark the end of the clip, and it drops onto the DDR: Perfect?

NO. Because now you have to FAST FORWARD through TEN MINUTES of clip in order to get to the 'big event' at the end.

Is there a way to quickly jump to the END of a clip and then rewind from the end? Our replays are currently FAR from "instant" as it takes quite a while to fast forward to the event you're trying to play back.

Think of how replays are run from a truck, on tape: After the big event, the tape operator simply grabs the job wheel, rolls it back, and hits pause, waiting for "Roll VTR." You don't have to work forward from the end of the tape. (And pro truck DVRs behave the same way, allowing you to work backwards in time.)

In live sports, you don't always know when the big event is coming, so you can't set an IN point. So instead, give us the option to quickly work backwards from our OUT point.

GaryG
09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
With the DDR in "Selection" mode, double-clicking fast-forward jumps to the end of the clip.

With the DDR in "List" mode, double-clicking fast-forward jumps to the end of the last clip.

GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME! :)

SBowie
09-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Just to point it out, ALT+FF will jump you to the end, back up 5 seconds and start playback. If 5 seconds isn't quite enough, after play starts hitting ALT + Prev Clip repeatedly will stop play and back you up 1 further second for each press.

Also, to avoid having to trim long periods of dross from the in point you can take a different approach:

As you are monitoring play, if some time has elapsed with nothing significant occurring, press Replay In again (instead of Replay Out). The uninteresting material since the most recent prior pressing of Replay In is dropped, and a new In Point registered. Press Replay Out only when something worthwhile catches your eye. Of course, doing it this way you run the risk of being asked to come up with something you thought was inconsequential and dumped. OTOH, you're in good shape for a highlights reel, with little or no trimming required.