PDA

View Full Version : Hand grabbing a cape. How?

j0SH
09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I have a character that has a cape and in a particular animation I want him to grab the cape and lift it up. What is the most effective way to go about this?

I've tried using a second collision object (set to stick) for the hand however the cape just seems to slip through his fingers.

Any ideas?

Celshader
09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a character that has a cape and in a particular animation I want him to grab the cape and lift it up. What is the most effective way to go about this?

I've tried using a second collision object (set to stick) for the hand however the cape just seems to slip through his fingers.

Any ideas?

If possible, for the specific scene...

Make one tiny section of the cape "Fixed" in addition to his collar area. Use a Limited-Region bone to grab the points of this tiny section. By using a Limited Region bone, the bone will not affect his collar area. The bone will be a puppet control for this section.

Key the bone to match the rest of the dynamics, so that it does not stand out, and at the right moment key it upwards to match his hand action.

I have a similar setup at the bottom of this page:
http://celshader.com/gallery/md/

Look at the video and content for "Cover pulled off of 1ft-tall box." The limited-region bone pulls a tiny fixed section away from the box, forcing the Dynamics-controlled points to drag with it.

Nangleator
09-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Or possibly a sticky collision object instead? Might be tough, but if Celshader's method isn't practical...

j0SH
09-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Or possibly a sticky collision object instead? Might be tough, but if Celshader's method isn't practical...

I'm trying the sticky collision object now and i'm struggling. I'm still yet to see if the bone idea will work for us but I have doubts because of how this character wil be used. (not linear video)

Celshader
09-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm trying the sticky collision object now and i'm struggling. I'm still yet to see if the bone idea will work for us but I have doubts because of how this character wil be used. (not linear video)

I know it might look odd before the character grabs it...but you could clean up the pre-grabbing action with EditFX.

Mr Rid
09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
I know it might look odd before the character grabs it...but you could clean up the pre-grabbing action with EditFX.

Cloth EditFX is such a frustrating tease with this sort of thing, I dont get why NT doesnt just go ahead and make it keyframe-able (why bother with the 'all, before, after, current' frame modes) and turn it into a standard mesh animation tool for Layout. Would be a tremendous leap in organic deformation capability and minimize the little Rube Goldberg workarounds to grab a cape.