PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#4

Iain
09-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge#4
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Cartoon Character
Ideally a familiar 2D character brought into 3D but anything goes i.e. design your own, recreate an existing 3D character, modify a manga favourite, etc.

This is a great example I saw recently developed from a 2D design by Matt Roussel:
http://www.lamiedezoe.com/

Time limit - 90 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 10th September 2008

Nangleator
09-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Woo hoo!

And more time to do it! I'll post whatever embarrassing creature I come up with and suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous replies.

Matt
09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm going to enter this one, I never do characters! Should be fun!

Hang on 90mins? I thought this was an hourly challenge thing?

Iain
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Hang on 90mins? I thought this was an hourly challenge thing?

It can change depending on the topic. I think 60 minutes is a bit limiting for a full character, not that I've done much character stuff but it's not as straightforward as something you can measure or get statistics of.

Maybe I'm just thinking of myself :hey:

Nangleator
09-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Maybe the winning character can be downloaded by everyone for a rigging/walk cycle contest... Hmmm...

geothefaust
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Err. Rigging?! :O I'll have to stay out of that one, lol. Or, at least try. I need to improve on my rigging.

I think 90 minutes though is perfect for modeling a cartoon character. :)

Nangleator
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I need to improve on my rigging.
That's why you join in!

Wait 'til you see the mess that is my entry into this contest. It will be an assault on your senses and sensibility. But I'll be better after I'm done!

cagey5
09-04-2008, 04:35 PM
60 minutes works well for me. I know I can still work within that timeframe but I'd be left thinking.. well it's not as good as it should be if I did another 30 minutes, but I don't have time... In other words the tighter the deadline the more likely I am to enter, others may be happier with longer.

Good topic. Good luck everyone.

Iain
09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I hoped to keep them all 60 minutes for just that reason. It's ok to steal an hour occasionally but any more than that and there's a search party out for me.

I've just spent 50 minutes on Sylvester and he looks like a cross between Iron Man and Batfink. Yikes.

Hopper
09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
An NOOOOO stealing Spore Creature screenshots! :D

R.Feeney
09-04-2008, 07:03 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62814&stc=1&d=1220576041
Ran out of time to finish tweeking and spinning quads, mainly round the hands and feet. Stoped at 90 min.
Infact most of it could have done with more work.
Model attached in zip.
Really looking forward to see what the rest of you come up with.
Good luck

Hopper
09-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Too cool man. Nice work. I'm going to make sure I have time this week. I'm going to make "Mr. Bowling Ball" :D

NewTek needs to put "This weeks Modeling Challenge" on their new LW3D site. Seriously.

R.Feeney
09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks Hopper. It would be cool to see some of this work out on their new site

Hopper
09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Why not. I think that's an outstanding idea. Considering their new ad capaign is "Get It Done". Well... look what we can "get done" in 60 minutes or less(or in this case 90). I'd say that's putting the slogan to the test. Walk the walk I say.

geothefaust
09-04-2008, 10:03 PM
That's why you join in!

Wait 'til you see the mess that is my entry into this contest. It will be an assault on your senses and sensibility. But I'll be better after I'm done!

Too true. In that case, bring on the rigging and animation contest!! lol

R.Feeney, great work! Inspiring even. :)

I agree Hopper, it would be great to see a link for this on the website. Hopefully it would catch attention. I certainly think it would.

================================================== ======

And.... For my entry... I modeled a character a few years ago I called MushMan. He was a mushroom in humanoid form, pretty basic. Just something I modeled up when I was bored. Over the last few years I've been pondering doing an animation with him, but hey... He needs friends!

So, here is buddy #1; I don't know his name yet. It'll come in time. I'm not sure about the goatee and stache though. ;) Tossed that on last minute, I think it's cool.

P.S. - I know I'm not great at drawing, it's just a quick sketch of what I want to accomplish.

Hopper
09-04-2008, 11:17 PM
P.S. - I know I'm not great at drawing, ...
Hardly... that's better than most. I've seen a lot of digital artists that couldn't hand draw a good circle if you paid them. I'd say that depicts everything about the character you'd need to model it. I still haven't graduated past stick figures. Left brained folks like me suck at artistic representations. If it doesn't involve measuring and/or drafting tools, we're lost.. :)

Oedo 808
09-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Good start R.Feeney. :)

I'm not sure I'll be able to make anything for this, it'll certainly be an interesting challenge to watch though.

geothefaust
09-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Hardly... that's better than most. I've seen a lot of digital artists that couldn't hand draw a good circle if you paid them. I'd say that depicts everything about the character you'd need to model it. I still haven't graduated past stick figures. Left brained folks like me suck at artistic representations. If it doesn't involve measuring and/or drafting tools, we're lost.. :)

Thanks Hopper, I really appreciate the encouragement. :) I tend to be one of those people that don't post any work, because I think/know it's not great, or can't compare to others' works. But I've also been practicing a lot of drawing for a few months, I am trying hard to advance my skills in preparation for bigger and better things. :)

Anyway, Oedo, you should at least give it a shot! I'm sure you'll do just fine. It's the attempt that matters, whether you finish off your model is not the point. ;)

Kuzey
09-05-2008, 03:37 AM
R.Feeney, that's a great mouse you have there :thumbsup:

Iain...post an image of Sylvester...I'm interested to see how he turned out :D

Kuzey

Iain
09-05-2008, 04:30 AM
After R Feeney's mouse, I feel especially proud of this :grumpy:
This took me an hour so to do the whole thing, I'd need about a day :D...................

Kuzey
09-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Oooh.....nice, that looks like fun :thumbsup:

I was thinking of making tweety myself, you know something much more simple than Sylvester :D

Kuzey

Nangleator
09-05-2008, 06:30 AM
You set the bar high, R. Feeney!

R.Feeney
09-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys.
Im really liking how ssSylvester is comming out because its a whole different and much more difficult job to convert from a 2D char to a 3D char than to create a 3D cartoon from scratch.

I started on Marvin the Martian before doing this mouse but I gave up on Marvin because I could not get the eyes to work right in 3D.

And the Mushroom mate has a lot of potential too!!

flakester
09-05-2008, 07:35 AM
You set the bar high, R. Feeney!
:agree:

And a very tasteful render to boot.

Really hope I can scrape 90mins together early next week for this challenge. After the previous rounds, I'm almost itching to see what gets turned out this week. :D

flakester.

CMT
09-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Yeah, Feeney! Great work on the mouse!

Iain, great likeness of Sylvester!

I'll try for Mr. Fudd.

Iain
09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Bit more in keeping with my abilities:

Captain Caveman. Modelling time 90 minutes.

IgnusFast
09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
I think these competitions are amazing! A lot of people are going to be pulled out of their comfort zones, or like me, will be doing some things for the first time...

This is my first attempt at a humanoid, let alone a cartoon-style character. Sorry, but I didn't want to butcher a creation of someone else. So I present ToonDude. :)

80 minutes to form, another hour or two to surface/render. Not rigged or anything - I've never done that before.

Nangleator
09-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Ah, yes. I will be doing skin mittens as well. I could waste the whole time on just hands if I'm not careful.

Great render, and good for a first try at a humanoid.

Excellent use of FiberFX, Iain.

RollerJesus
09-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Great job so far guys!

I gave Marvin the Martian a crack. No good. Then I tried George Jetson, still no luck. I just can't seem to get the hang of this character stuff.

I'm going to give George another try and if that doesn't work, I'll be on the search for a less organic character... maybe Rosie Jetson.

novawave
09-05-2008, 09:49 AM
hai everybody..

wanna join too,(chara design hoooray...........)
.here is my entry,..

she is aya,..umm my "just like that" character design, it just came out when i playing with my modeller after watching digi charat lol

done on 1.28.45 sec modelling only(i dunno if Fiber FX rendering was counted too, but if it was,..i guess my entry was DQ:) since the FFX get rendering on not less 5 minutes each picture:D)

on really tight pace like that :lightwave..

Oedo 808
09-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Anyway, Oedo, you should at least give it a shot! I'm sure you'll do just fine. It's the attempt that matters, whether you finish off your model is not the point. ;)

Yeah you're right, I will give it a bash, not sure I'll be successful though, but I guess I can flunk as many times as I like. :)

There are some more very good entries coming in already. novawave, the shading on your character's hair is great. :thumbsup:

novawave
09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks Mr. Oedo,..but if its about the hair shading,..

the one that great are lightwave 9.5:thumbsup:..i mean,..i just put some half box boxy layer there and give some simple tweak on ffx(without guide, or anything)

and voila....

the cute cuddly hair are attached to her,..Lightwave 9.5 ffx are superb

anyway..come on Mr Oedo..i know you want give some shot too:hey: lol

this is fun

CMT
09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
IgnusFast, Iain, Novawave.... nice!

Took the whole hour for this one. the last 30 minutes was all just trying to move the vertices to get the likeness.

----
What's a twip?................

A twip is what a wabbit takes when he wides on a twain!... huhuhuhuhuhuhuhu! :)

IgnusFast
09-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Ah, yes. I will be doing skin mittens as well. I could waste the whole time on just hands if I'm not careful.

Great render, and good for a first try at a humanoid.

Excellent use of FiberFX, Iain.

Thanks, man! Yeah, I wasn't sure HOW to proceed, and without referring to a tutorial somewhere, I just started with a box and knifed/smooth shifted the whole thing. So aside from the eyeballs and the belt buckle, it's a single mesh, and the whole thing consists of quads.

I know I won't win, but it was still fun. :thumbsup:

I agree regarding the FiberFX - I LOVE that Captain Caveman! That and that bastard CMTs Elmer Fudd head. Someday. Someday.

geothefaust
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
IgnusFast, I'm having a lot of fun doing this myself as well. I really don't care about winning anything. It's more about having fun, and keeping my skills sharp. :)

I like your entry, by the way. As Nangleator said, excellent first shot at a humanoid!

CoryC
09-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I always wanted to try making Opus so this gave me an excuse.

Nangleator
09-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow, we got some ringers here!

Great work. Amazing blue hair. I can't believe how good a 3D translation Elmer is.

CMT
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
I can't believe how good a 3D translation Elmer is.

Thanks. Yeah I picked him because I thought he'd be easy to do since he's such a simplified roundish shape. But I found out it was much harder than I thought. I wanted to try for the whole figure, but I spent the whole time on the head.

I ran him through a cel shader material just to see what he'd look like.

Kuzey
09-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Nice work guys:thumbsup:

Well, here is what I think is tweety...but can't be sure :hey:

Just over the 90 min mark.

Kuzey

BlueApple
09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Here's Hong Kong Phooey. Took me 90 minutes, and I had to cut some parts short. The feet are not a source of pride for me, and I would've liked to have added some folds in the fabric. Textured renders incoming shortly. As for the rest of you:

R.Feeney-
That is a beautiful mouse there. Very efficient modeling.

Iain-
Really like both of your entries, but you need to knock it off or you're going to eat up all of the classic characters before others have even started modeling :)

IgnusFast-
Nice Work. That man's hands remind me of Lobster boy from the fair.

novawave-
Looking very good. It's impressive to see folks diving in to the new 9.5 (FiberFX) toys in these competitions.

CMT-
You continue to amaze.

CoryC-
Excellent choice! Very faithful to its 2D counterpart.

Kuzey-
The wires look great. Can't wait to see a finished render.

R.Feeney
09-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Iain - Great work on captain caveman, I wish I had thought of putting some fur on my mouse.

IgnusFast - ToonDude is great, particularly for a first attempt at this type of modeling.

novawave - Great work, any rendering or texturing time doesn't count toward the 90 min and I assume the same for the Fibre FX.

CMT - You really caught the essence of elmer in your model.
"A Wok ? Its what you use for hunting wabbits when the gun is bwoke."

CoryC - Opus came out brilliantly for you, well done.

Kuzey - I thought I thaw a puddy cat but it turned out to be Tweety, great job.

BlueApple - I have never seen this cartoon over here, nice work though.

cresshead
09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
hi
did this whist watching 'desparate hours' on dvd!...title seemed to fit the task so well!:D [humphrey bogart film]

anyhow ran out of time...so no antenne on the toon ant and the face is a mess!

based on the ants from the film ANTZ

still was fun!

R.Feeney
09-06-2008, 05:50 PM
A bit under the hour including the bowl.
Vertex map for colour on the fishy fish
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62921&stc=1&d=1220744813
If I had thought about it at the time I should have given him an extra eye and called him blinky :twak:

IgnusFast
09-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Okay, here's another try. Another first time in the effort - attempting to use Hair. :)

If you don't know who he is, you probably don't have kids.

Model time, 30 minutes. Tweaking hair and rendering, 5 hours. Sheesh.

IgnusFast
09-06-2008, 08:06 PM
MAN, you guys are coming up with some cool stuff!!!!

BlueApple
09-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Thought I already posted this earlier, but perhaps something happened...

Here is a better render. Pose made with joints and IKB (very quick and dirty.)

cresshead
09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Thought I already posted this earlier, but perhaps something happened...

Here is a better render. Pose made with joints and IKB (very quick and dirty.)

now you got me looking on amazon for the dvd!:thumbsup::D

novawave
09-07-2008, 02:39 AM
wow..wow...nice job everyone,(am just lost of words lol)..

btw ,..before somebody took this idea,..i'll make it first..

i dunno in if this Chubby blue robot cat popular in US or UK,..but in my country this cat already reigning our television for more than 20 years(and his program still running and popular now) lol, in fact, this character is probably the icon of my child hood era lol..

and since Lightwave forum are filled with cat that make me assume this is a cat forum lol, it seems its not a cat forum enough without this chubby blue cat,.. so here it is...

Doraemon,..done on 56 minutes 43 sec,.he just bunch of ball bolean arounded huhuhu:D,.

all right guys..keep it up!!

cresshead
09-07-2008, 05:00 AM
i took my lo res cartoon ant and put it into zbrush for a doodle session!

:cat:

Traveler
09-07-2008, 10:27 AM
These modelling sessions are great! I so hope lots more people will post their work :)

Anyway here's mine: a Powerpuff Girl.
Little less than 45 mins for modeling and another 45 for texturing, setup, cleaning background (taken from www.madman.com.au), testrenders etc.

IgnusFast
09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I know this doesn't count toward my second effort, since I made the trees and snake this morning. But I just can't stop playing with it!! Mom always SAID that would get me in trouble.... :)

R.Feeney
09-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Great stuff guys.
One thing these challenges are doing for me is teaching me to finish working on something, to stop tweeking it to death.
I will have another one done soon, just rendering now.

BlueApple
09-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Okay, here's another try. Another first time in the effort - attempting to use Hair. :)

If you don't know who he is, you probably don't have kids.

Model time, 30 minutes. Tweaking hair and rendering, 5 hours. Sheesh.

I don't have kids, so who is this? I am hesitant to Google "furry little brown guy" for obvious reasons.

I see him everywhere! Just went to Target today and they have a big Halloween display built around the character.

R.Feeney
09-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Right up to the 90 min on this one.
I will upload this model and the fish one in the next couple of days.

Tippsy
09-07-2008, 09:30 PM
wow some nice work! That mouse is great I just dont get the whole character creation part of lightwave *sniff... So i probably wont even enter but any good tutorial references of tips would be appreciated!

R.Feeney
09-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I have heard good things about the primer on subdivision over here
http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/page1.htm
Thanks for liking my Mouse

IgnusFast
09-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't have kids, so who is this? I am hesitant to Google "furry little brown guy" for obvious reasons.

I see him everywhere! Just went to Target today and they have a big Halloween display built around the character.

LOL

His name is Domo Kun - he's a mascot for a japanese TV channel. I have to admit he cracks me up, but I think I'm too old (or too American) to really get it. :)

Iain
09-08-2008, 05:55 AM
Great to see so many entries-I was a bit worried the subject might put a lot of people off!

Love the Hong Kong Phooey Blueapple :thumbsup: I thought about doing him.

Kuzey
09-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Here's a rough looking snoopy :D

Around the 95 min mark and I recorded the session to video but it's not that great, maybe I'll get lucky on the third video attempt.

Kuzey

hrgiger
09-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Hopefully everyone will know this lovable nigh invulnerable guy. This is how far I got in the 90 minutes. Ran out of time to refine him too much so I would have like to played with the proportions a bit more.

As I'm using XSI now and don't have Lightwave installed on my machine at the moment, I downloaded the trial version of 9.5 to model it....:D

I'm fine with sharing the model.

Nangleator
09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Amazing choice, hr, and great modeling.

BlueApple
09-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Spoon!

nice work hrgiger.

JeffrySG
09-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Really great models everyone!

I'm pissed that I missed the last challenge but I've been dealing with some crap in the real world here so I didn't really get the time to work on it.

Here's my entry for this challenge though. My topology is sh*t and I think I went over the time limit by 15min or so... not exactly sure. This challenge really reminded me that I don't ever model organic stuff, especially humanoid shapes, etc. I'd be curious to see how long it would take me to re-do the model again with a better poly flow.

Anyway, if you can't tell, it's Fry from Futurama. I'll try to do some real renders or toon renders of him a little later. :D

Kuzey
09-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Great work everyone :thumbsup:

Here's a simple render of snoopy.

Kuzey

IgnusFast
09-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Last one, I swear!! Just having fun with Domo. I did hit a frustrating wall, though. I rendered him with Radiosity, which only takes about 2.5 minutes per frame. But I wanted to animate him, so I tried going with area lights - and I just couldn't get a look I liked as well.

So I'm done playing with it, just wanted to post the final image. :)

This doesn't count toward the challenge, since the snake and trees (though they took very little time) were done in a separate session.

Oh, and I lost the hair (wow, that stuff is buggy!), and went with just deforming the mesh based on the bump. Not exactly the look I want, but closer than the fur.

JeffrySG
09-09-2008, 01:45 PM
^lol that looks great! that's one of the ugly dolls, right? love the little scene and the texture on him! :thumbsup:

Just did a little update to Fry. The only think I added on the model was the little hair sticking up on the back of his head and then just played with surfaces. I found a Futurama typeface so I built the logo in 3d and added it too. I'm still running 9.3.1, and I was crashing a lot whenever I tried to add rendered lines, so I just added a small outline in photoshop, but I'd like to get that to work in LW eventually.

Nangleator
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Dang, JeffrySG. I love Futurama. Good job!

I've been struggling to find the time for this contest, but it's been a horrible week. I'd love to do a Leela to go with your Fry.

JeffrySG
09-09-2008, 03:06 PM
^that would be cool! Fry could finally get that date! ;)

TripD
09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Great stuff.... I'm not sure if I'm more jealous or scared to compete!

Heh..... I tossed around the idea of doing a version of Foamy the Squirrel, but he is quite restricted in his movements, and as far as I can tell, he only exists from the waste up.

Nangleator
09-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Oh, dear God, what have I done?

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/BadLeela.jpg

75 minutes modeling. (If you can call it that.) This is not worth a render. It's the most complete humanoid I've ever done. I usually start out doing something like this, then give up in disgust. So I'm proud of sticking with it.

You masters out there, did you ever have something this ugly then tweak it until it was good? Or is this hopeless? What's the secret? Make a thousand creatures like this before they start looking good because of practice, or are some people just not character modelers at all?

JeffrySG
09-09-2008, 09:00 PM
^ I totally know how you feel. I can't really offer any guidance other to say there are a ton of good training videos over at subdivisionmodeling.com that deal with organics and you should (and I should too) look over Williams 100 Characters video that is posted on the forums here, as he shows all the wireframes on the characters and it might help for the poly flow on them.

Beyond that, it looks like a good start. You can always go back and try to do it again or re-work specific areas. Personally I wouldn't worry about the time limit too much if you're really trying to learn something. I've been thinking of going back and re-modeling Fry from scratch when I get some time too.

hrgiger
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh, dear God, what have I done?

The key, and you mentioned it, is sticking with it.
The biggest problem I see people running into is adding geometry before you need it and then get themselves into a confusing mess until they feel it's hopeless. Try to start out with the most basic of shapes. The goal is to try to get the shape of the object from the start and only add in geometry as you are refining. Adding geometry first and then refining is the hard way to go. Take the arms of your model for instance, It looks like you have about 8 or 9 edges running down the lengths of your arms. To get that into the shape you want you've got a lot of time tweaking ahead of you. Instead, start out with 4 (basically a square extruded). Shape them with that very simple form as best you can with that basic geometry. If you want more detail (such as a subtle curve to suggest a bicep,) that's when you add another edge running through that area. Then tweak it before you add any more geometry.
That's just my .02 though.

Surrealist.
09-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Hey Nangleator!

Nice job. Anytime you can complete anything you should be happy. Characters are hard. Just keep doing it! You'll get there. :)

cresshead
09-10-2008, 05:40 AM
yup lo res is the way to rough out the shape.

in one of the gnomology zsphere modeling vids i bought he converted over to level 1 sub d
from a zsphere's..i would have naturally gone with level 2 but being SO lo res, the trainer
sculpted out the main volume and only then did he divide to level 2 where he spent considerable time refining the sculpt...same goes for all modeling

just have look at how many polys TARON 'doesn't use for example.

http://images.thegnomonworkshop.com/img/screengrabs/tba01/tba01b.jpg

http://gnomonology.com/upload/tutorial_thumb/244/main.jpg

Iain
09-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Heading towards the deadline on this one so any suggestions for week 5 would be welcome.

R.Feeney
09-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Didnt get anywhere near finishing this one. But I figured I would add it anyway.
As to next weeks subject.

The tool chest, hammers, screwdrivers, saws
Audio equipment. amps guitars microphones
Office supply. from stationary to furniture
Body parts. as in just build a hand or a nose or a mouth
Architecture
Plant life
Electronics. computer equipment

Traveler
09-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Heading towards the deadline on this one so any suggestions for week 5 would be welcome.

How bout 'sea creatures'?

Nangleator
09-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the comments, all! I've made a decent living without being able to do characters, but I've always wanted to do it, and now is a good time to add that hobby. I'll restart that Leela and see what I can do without a deadline.

Great control and character, R.Feeney!

My ideas for next week:

1. One-hour houses (Yikes!)
2. 50's style (or older) spaceships
3. Guns
4. Hats or helmets
5. Toys

R.Feeney
09-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Attached the Model files for the fish, the tentacled alien thing and the un-finished guy.
I hope someone finds them of some use.
Added the mouse as well just to keep them all in the one spot.

Kuzey
09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Musical instruments

Old retro toys...real items or your own design

Furniture

That's all I can think of.

Kuzey

RollerJesus
09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
My ideas for next week:

1. One-hour houses (Yikes!)
2. 50's style (or older) spaceships
3. Guns
4. Hats or helmets

I'm up for any of those. I'm not going to be able to do a week 6 contest because I'll be basking in the sun of the tropics on my honeymoon (hurricane permitting) and I'm not allowed to bring a laptop, so I'm hoping that week 5 isn't another organic topic...

Attached the Model files for the fish, the tentacled alien thing and the un-finished guy.
I hope someone finds them of some use.
Added the mouse as well just to keep them all in the one spot.
5. Toys

What a guy! These are some great models Feeney, perfect for us noobs to practice texturing/rendering with.

Great stuff guys, wish I could have entered in this week's but I couldn't pull anything together that resembled what I was trying to model, but I did learn a ton about SubD modeling in the process and I can finally see the light with organic modeling. (It's just still really far away)

R.Feeney
09-10-2008, 07:44 AM
I just remembered, if you are going texturing or rendering with them keep in mind that the scale on them is all over the place, I usualy fix up the relative scale on my models when I`m finished but I never got around to it with these.
And I would love to see what any of you produce with them :)

hrgiger
09-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Some suggestions for next week.

1. Circus things.
2. Gargoyles.
3. Skyscrapers.
4. Extra-terrestrials.

CMT
09-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Here's some ideas I considered while coming up with the medieval weapons theme.

1. Ancient Artifacts/Relics
2. Retro toys
3. Sports equipment
4. Artist's equipment (easles, brushes, palates, dremmels, etc..)
5. Insects

I really like the idea of ancient artifacts personally. I also like Kuzeys idea of the retro toys a lot.

RollerJesus
09-10-2008, 08:12 AM
1. Candy
2. Trophies
3. Vintage electronics
4. Office supplies

Nangleator
09-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Mad scientist equipment
Jewelry

Iain
09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
That's funny that vintage electronics came up as that's what I was thinking after seeing a cool retro radio the other day.

We can't do retro toys because otacon has the copyright.:)

novawave
09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
-Console game controller such as PS2 Dual shock 2, SNES classic comtroller,Genesis controller PS3 Six axis, Wiimote, Dreamcast pad or any kind of that type..
what about that?

-fruit ,..yep fruit, just like the ol classic studio workshop

geothefaust
09-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Here's my entry. I spent a long time attempting to rig it, but eventually gave up on that. I went over the time limit, it was because of the mouth, which I still don't like. I tried to fix it a number of times, but, I'm not great at modeling mouths. Anyway, it was fun. :)

MushBuddy dude:

Time: 1h 45m(ish)
Textured in PainterX (pretty basic texture)

I'm probably going to truly finish this one off, fix the mouth, add some more detail, finalize a real texture for 'em. Then another attempt at rigging.

cresshead
09-10-2008, 10:52 AM
the retro 'something theme sounds good...i've just started reading dan dare 1950's comic story book from amazon.co.uk.

all things dan dare?...characters, spaceships, guns, transport, buildings...#

i dare you!

dan dare site>>
http://www.dandare.org.uk/DanDareReprint1.htm

geothefaust
09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Didnt get anywhere near finishing this one. But I figured I would add it anyway.
As to next weeks subject.

The tool chest, hammers, screwdrivers, saws
Office supply. from stationary to furniture
Body parts. as in just build a hand or a nose or a mouth
Architecture
Plant life

I like those ones. Any of those would be cool.

Iain
09-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Well done to all the brave souls who tried this one!

Week 5 is up!
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=748286#post748286

Hope to see you all there.:)

IgnusFast
09-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Was there going to be a winner on this one, or is it like a lot of schools now, where we're all winners? :)

geothefaust
09-13-2008, 09:52 PM
We're all winners!!! We won!!!! *dance*

Iain
09-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Well done everyone who entered but no, we're not all winners :)

After careful consideration, I'd have to say R. Feeney's white mouse is the most ambitious and original entry.

Congrats R. Feeney!

R.Feeney
09-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks Iain, it was good fun to take part.

Nangleator
09-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Congrats! The mouse was striking.

RollerJesus
09-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Well done!

Iain
09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Hope you're up for setting the new challenge on Wednesday!
You had loads of ideas anyway.

R.Feeney
09-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Im afraid I wont be here, finaly getting away for a few days after trying all year.
Leaving first thing tomorrow morning.
If I had to pick, I would go for plant life.

Iain
09-15-2008, 09:35 AM
If I had to pick, I would go for plant life.

That'll do for me.

Have a good one!

R.Feeney
09-15-2008, 10:15 AM
CHeers Iain

BlueApple
09-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Nice work everyone, and a well deserved top honors to R. Feeney's entry.

Hopper
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM
That was my pick! Great job. (now animate it!) :D

bluerider
12-18-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62814&stc=1&d=1220576041
Ran out of time to finish tweeking and spinning quads, mainly round the hands and feet. Stoped at 90 min.
Infact most of it could have done with more work.
Model attached in zip.
Really looking forward to see what the rest of you come up with.
Good luck

Wow.....60 minutes, awesome :jam:

Nangleator
12-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah, one of the best models in all the challenges.

I still think it should be the basis for a walk cycle challenge. (I'd lose badly.)