PDA

View Full Version : where are my fonts?

stevmjon
09-04-2008, 04:31 AM
hello

when managing fonts in v9.2 , there is an "add system font" button. i love the ability to choose the font, size, boldness, italics etc. :D

i cannot find this in v9.5 . do i need to load a plug-in or something? :cry:

also, if i direct LW9.5 to look in the "psfonts" folder located in the lightwave installation folder, it can't see any files. i have tried all the different text buttons with no luck.(create>text> all buttons here )

any help is appreciated.

thanks stevmjon

BeeVee
09-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Since 9.2 you haven't really needed the Manage Fonts tool to use system fonts since everything in your system fonts directory is automatically listed in Modeler. Your system fonts won't be PostScript though (what you get when you add PSFonts), but TrueType.

B

stevmjon
09-04-2008, 07:30 AM
thanks for your reply beevee.

what i am after is the ability to change the font to bold and italic like in v9.2 . i have posted a few pics.

stevmjon

p.s. what is the difference between truetype and postscript?

BeeVee
09-04-2008, 07:46 AM
You don't need to do that any more. All fonts are added and immediately available. Just hit the text button and use the cursor up/down to switch between fonts. If you have the numeric window open you have a drop down list where you can choose the font you want.

B

stevmjon
09-04-2008, 08:35 AM
if i was to select a font from the dropdown list indicated in the post above, lets say "palatino linotype 400", how do i now change this one to italic or bold. there is only one selection of this font.

sorry if wasn't clear on my other posts .

stevmjon

BeeVee
09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
You should only ever have been able to use a different "style" if you had the font for it. I have a bunch of different styles for Arial and so they all get listed in the dropdown. The way LightWave used to do it was to artificially style up fonts, but you can achieve the same using Modeler's tools.

B

zippitt
09-04-2008, 09:46 AM
You should only ever have been able to use a different "style" if you had the font for it. I have a bunch of different styles for Arial and so they all get listed in the dropdown. The way LightWave used to do it was to artificially style up fonts, but you can achieve the same using Modeler's tools.

B

I am by no means saying you are wrong, I wouldn't know since I do not use fonts in Modeler. However, I think it's counterintuitive to remove something that modeler used to do "artificially" or automatically with a pick list item, vs. having to model out bold from the original text.

Also there are different styles of fonts like Arial as you mentioned, and some of those styles can be selected as bold or italic in programs such as MSWord. The screenshot he is using 9.2 looks almost identical to a windows font selection.

It seems something has certainly changed, and if it was removed I would say it was a step in the wrong direction, although not a mind blowing one.