PDA

View Full Version : Opening Multiple Instances of Layout to Render

Tom Wood
09-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I've discovered that for my animations it is far more time efficient to open multiple instances of Layout and let each one render a scene, rather than suffer the network overhead of Screamernet. My scenes are 360 frames, each frame takes less than 5 seconds to render.

Questions:

Is it "bad" to open so many instances that the CPU usage gets pegged at 100% in Task Manager? I have dual Xeons hyperthreaded, so four CPUs show in Task Manager. I've been opening three instances of Layout which gets the average CPU usage up to about 85%. It would work out better production-timewise if I could open four, which pegs it at 100%.

Also, is there a reason to set the affinity of each CPU to an instance of Layout, rather than just let them all "share" the load?

Thanks,

akademus
09-03-2008, 10:22 AM
You also need to set Multithreading in Render panel. There you can choose 1,2,4,8 and so on processors to render.

I have had no troubles making 4-5 layouts to render so far. They behave very good, unlike other apps.

3DGFXStudios
09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
You can also assign each instance to the processor you want in the task manager.

toby
09-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Go ahead and peg it to 100%!
At 5 sec. per frame I'm betting that 1 thread will render fastest regardless of how many instances.

Tom Wood
09-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Go ahead and peg it to 100%!
At 5 sec. per frame I'm betting that 1 thread will render fastest regardless of how many instances.

And you would win that bet. Increasing threads slowed it down. Assigning CPU affinity slowed it down. So I'll just keep it simple and open the four instances and let it rip. Thanks!