PDA

View Full Version : LightWave for Me

Lalin
07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Hello,

I am interested in LightWave3D, but I don't work for a big company where LightWave3D is used. My interest in LightWave3D is personal, so I am wondering what (affordable) offers (or whatever is available) are available for individual "home users"|"freelancers" like me.

I will greatly appreciate your attention and help.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Lalin

TyVole
07-31-2003, 12:00 PM
You could try eBay, where you can usually find an old copy of LightWave (which, by the way, is legally transferable.) Still, it may not be as cheap as you'd like.

If you're just starting out, I would recommend Blender. It's free and has many of the same features. And if, in the future, you decide to move up to LW, it will be a fairly easy learning curve.

http://www.blender.org

hrgiger
07-31-2003, 12:02 PM
The only promotion I'm aware of right now is they're bundling DFX with the purchase of Lightwave 7.5 right now. DFX is a very expensive comping program and it's saving you a few thousand dollars. You will also get a free upgrade to Lightwave 8 if you buy 7.5 now. It's $1500 but it's an amazing deal.

Lalin
07-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks a lot TyVole and hrgiger!

I'll try eBay as well.

However $1,500 for all that sounds juicy and fantastic!

Where can I get more info on DFX?

Thanks again for caring.

Cheers,
Lalin

gjjackson
07-31-2003, 02:23 PM
If You DO go to ebay just be aware many of the LW packages are academic versions. They are reasonably priced but I don't know what Newtek's policy is toward registering an academic version without proof of such. The license is such that it can't be used for commercial purposes. Sometimes you can also find older versions at a good price, though, and qualify for upgrades.

Lalin
07-31-2003, 02:55 PM
You are absolutely right qjjackson.
In fact, they won't clearly state that they are selling the academic version.

Thanks,
Lalin

Macet01
07-31-2003, 04:08 PM
What I did was buy a used version of 5.6 from someone, who just happened to be on the modeling staff of the Jimmy Neutron Movie, and had the registration transferred. I then bought the upgrade to 7.5. In the end it worked out much cheaper than buying it right out or buying an unopened copy from someone. If you can swing that now it may be possible to get the whole thing for less than a grand. Hopefully much less.

Lalin
07-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Excellent plan Macet01!

Thanks a lot!

I'll let you all know how it went,
Lalin

Aegis
08-01-2003, 02:26 AM
Lalin - check this out on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3620453647&category=185

I've bought from these guys and upgraded to a full 7.5 licence + DFX+ and free LW[8] upgrade.

Probably the cheapest way of getting a full seat of 7.5 plus all the goodies :)

Lalin
08-01-2003, 05:27 AM
Aegis,

Awesome! I bought one of those packages from the same seller yesterday.
Since you did it, now I can rest worry free that I would be able to register that one, YAY!:D

But, too bad that in the Newtek page says that the upgrade offer with DFX+ ended in June 30th 2003. Has it been extended?:(

Cheers,
Lalin:p

gjjackson
08-01-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Lalin
Aegis,

Awesome! I bought one of those packages from the same seller yesterday.
Since you did it, now I can rest worry free that I would be able to register that one, YAY!:D

But, too bad that in the Newtek page says that the upgrade offer with DFX+ ended in June 30th 2003. Has it been extended?:(

Cheers,
Lalin:p

I think I read somewhere in this forum that it has been extended, but I'm not sure where.

pixelranger
08-01-2003, 07:03 AM
Yes, it has been extended to sept. 15.

I bought my upgrade from 6.5 today after seeing THIS (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/dfxoffer/dfx_eu.html) over at Newtek-Europe.

Congratulations on your choice of software and welcome to the LW user family. This is the best software community in the world (AFAIK) and despite the chaos and mass hysteria that has been around the last weeks (because of the lw8 upgrade) it is actually a very friendly and helpful group of people who aren't afraid of sharing knowledge and skills!
So don't be afraid to post questions or showcase your work here when you get your hands dirty with LW! :)

colkai
08-01-2003, 07:28 AM
If I wasn't so broke,
I'd get second seat of LW from ebay - 139 for 5.6C - then upgrade to LW8 with DFX+ for 399 - bargain!

I keep telling myself I need the money...but part of me ain't listening :D

Bigboy
08-02-2003, 01:49 PM
This is exactly what I did, cost 1/2 the price, and a free upgrade (downloadable - no printed manual) to lightwave 8.

Its the way to go if you can find a 5.6.

Newtek upgrade support rocks, they've made a life-long customer out of me!! :)

(oh yeah, and the software is fantastic... yeah... that too :D)

Lalin
08-13-2003, 12:09 PM
AWESOME!

Newtek system rocks!

However, I have a question:
I bought an Upgrade to 8 and this includes an upgrade to 7.5 in the meantime. When will I receive the 7.5 upgrade and DFX?

Cheers,
Lalin

Dodgy
08-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Pretty soon I'd say, I ordered mine and got it the following week :)