PDA

View Full Version : Container filled with water using 100% Lw particles

inakito
09-03-2008, 07:39 AM
After lots of thinking i just figured how to simulate a container being filled by water. I need to polish the animation and do some tweaks but I am pretty happy with the animation so far. What do you guys think?

In case the the attached file didn't work

http://rapidshare.de/files/40384704/Fluid01.mov.html

Thanks!

ben martin
09-03-2008, 08:51 AM
My opinion:

Very good try!
It can be a lot of things, but not water, water is much more fluid than this!
Anyway, it's a nice / promising effort! :)

dballesg
09-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi,

I agreed with Ben, very good try.

Do you mind to share the trick?

David

inakito
09-04-2008, 02:26 AM
As im still working on it and I will love to simulate water, let me carry on trying untill I end it and then I will share the approach ok?

Thanks!

pooby
09-04-2008, 03:08 AM
To 'simulate' water you'll need something a lot more sophisticated than LW's particles.
The problem is that to get the fluid motion of water, the particles need to flow around internally. The way the particles interact collision wise in LW is relatively simple and isn't really appropriate for doing the type of motion required for this kind of work.
You need a HUGE number to get anything approaching a fluid rather than thick porridge. They also need to be small, but this means that by using HV's you tend to end up with a blobby gappy mess - LW has no way of making a skin over the whole mass.

What you have there is pretty much the extent of what LW particles and HV's will do. It could be refined a bit, but don't imagine that you can refine the settings to make it act like realflow. It simply is not designed to do that.

Saying that.. It's always good to experiment

evolross
09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah, total "shaving cream" effect, as we use to call it at my old employer. If you want to progress some more, check out Blender's capabilities. There was and is currently a lot of research going on in using Blender's fluid particle solver (which is pretty bad a*s for being free) then importing into Lightwave for rendering.

There's several threads on here and a really good one on SpinQuad. And some good material online for how to use Blender's fluid solver.

Cageman
09-07-2008, 12:56 PM
You could also try Liquid Pack... You will get ALOT better fluid motion for the particles with it (and it's way, way, way faster than LWs own particles in terms of calculation beacuse it is using PhysX).

The only downside with it right now is that it doesn't support LWs windeffectors and, of course, it uses HyperVoxels for the shading (with enough number of particles, it could probably do a good job).

OOZZEE
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
There's several threads on here and a really good one on SpinQuad. .

would you have the link ? please ?

Gui Lo
09-12-2008, 02:47 PM
@ Inakito,
IMHO the main problem with the look is that it builds from the top like the particles are stacking on top of each other. Water builds from the bottom. If you could some-how have particles do this, like in the Siggraph video then it would look more accurate.

Something I've been meaning to try, is simply to spin the emitter slowly.

Keep going.

dballesg
07-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi,

Bumping this just in case you do not mind to share the trick you used to fill the container! :)

David