PDA

View Full Version : drive colour change using null

Otterman
09-03-2008, 06:45 AM
....is this possible?

With an envelope in the colour channel ive tried using the proximity, channel follower modifier in one of the RGB channels but it no worky worky!!

Any ideas? tuts?

Otterman
09-03-2008, 07:00 AM
ok-i think i might be over complicating this.....perhaps just create a gradient and have the input parameters set to 'distance to object' and that object being my null!

Seems to work tick-ity-boo!

Otterman
09-05-2008, 05:29 AM
O heck......this is a fairly complicated hydraulic flow system ive got to animate and the way ive been going about it doesnt offer much in the way of control.
The problem is that the flow changes direction.... splits off, changes shape etc....

Ive had a look at Mr Vaughns waterpipe animation using particles but i gotta feeling this would be a nightmare to set up....then again its perhaps the only way to go.

Dunno, any suggestions?

ps...yeah the image does look like a bong but it aint hehe

Surrealist.
09-05-2008, 07:39 AM
How about morphing a straight piece of geometry, that old trick. You can then move the texture along the axis and it will follow the curves. Will it work here?

Otterman
09-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Im not sure i follow you Mr Surrealist-is it possible to create such a complicated morph? Ive only ever done very simple stuff like springs b4 but not sure howd 2 go about tackling this? U know of any examples or tutts?

Jim M
09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Depends on whats flowing and how our doing it.

If you are using plain 'ol geometry (great!) then you could apply some turbulence along a UV map + with gradients colour along UVs (Dpont Layer+ & Mapping nodes)...

Or create your geometry as suggested, then morph it into place the do displacements/bump/Colour set to distance. This will then do local mapping flowing along the geometry... (Everything aligned to Z+(for example) in base morph / then morph in 1 frame to required shape ... just to get the local mapping right )

Also you could 'colour' with weight maps and gradients.... use effectors to displace... or whatever method you like...

You should say more clearly what you expect from your final animation...
If its a gaseous or liquid motion you are looking for etc...

Otterman
09-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Hey thanx for the suggestions Jim....this is indeed geometry and is intended to illustrate HYDRAULIC flow! At this stage, im only really looking to illustrate this with a change in colour.

The main problem im having is getting my head around doing such a complex morph! How would i go about actually setting this up...like i said before-ive set up simple morphs using morph mixer-but i cant see how this is possible with such a complex shape. Is it possible to do multiple morphs?

Ive attached some renders to try and make sense of the flow....any pointers on how ud tackle a morph on this bstard would be greatly appreciated.

Otterman
09-09-2008, 02:54 AM
OK Ive done a simple test between three different morphs. Im sure this should be simple but im stumped....ive no idea how i make the morph conform to the shape.

And how on earth do i enable the multiple target/single envelope feature....it no worky worky for me?

Lightwolf
09-09-2008, 03:09 AM
I'd use particles for that. You might need to cheat a little and use different emitters for different parts of your flow (use groups to separate them and simple collision objects to kill off unwanted groups).

Basically, break your flow down into parts (like your arrows do) and do those (more or less) separately. Then time the emitters to make it look like a continous flow.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Another way to achieve simple colour changes would be... a light!

Otterman
09-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Hiya Mr L-wolf! Particles you say-O heck! Im beginning to think this is the only feasible way to go myself.

I will indeed break up the flow into bite sized parts...but what would you recommend for controlling flow direction.....an animated null or the use of a wind emitter?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...just want to get all my facts right before i wade in!

Jim M
09-09-2008, 04:10 AM
Attached a 9.5 scene with particles driven by wind(path), hypervoxeled, colour driven by particle age.

Otterman
09-09-2008, 04:13 AM
wow Jim, thanxs......erm any chance you could save this down to a 9.3 scene?

Gawd im pushing my luck :D

Jim M
09-09-2008, 04:29 AM
No probs.

Also attached the concept for using morphs. It is quite different from what you were doing. It is only there to get the mapping co-ords, so you can trick the whole thing with distance gradients and Y texture movement. Play/scrub the anim and do a couple of renders to see the effect...

Jim M
09-09-2008, 04:39 AM
+ Using a null to drive some colour...

Otterman
09-09-2008, 04:52 AM
JIM U ROCK....theres some interesting stuff happening there! I think the morph object might be far too complex to handle....well for my limited lightwave super powers anyways.

Il try the particles driven by wind and see how that gos....thanx buddy, thats helped me no end! Will post the results

Jim M
09-09-2008, 05:22 AM
No probs dude.

+ Here is another method, weight maps and gradients to drive colour along the surface .. With UVs used to control other texture directions.

This one is similar to the morph method, but is easier as you can easily change your uvs to change and tweak the effect. Even on a complicated object.

Requires Dpont nodes.

Otterman
09-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Jim-ur just showing off now hehe! :thumbsup:

Jim M
09-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Lol, its actually very simple to setup.
This one uses setDrivenKey on the positions(>1) in the gradient so if you want to change the speed you just set the envelope for the first Key in the gradient...

Jim M
09-09-2008, 08:52 AM
+ here is an anim of the idea (using weights and gradients).. (obviously not the final desired outcome)... Note, this is using just one weight map and one gradient.... for a decent effect, multiples of each could be used, for multiple flows in multiple directions... with the gradients setup more ascetically.

Otterman
09-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey that the boss! Using weight maps sure does make this alot easier than i 1st imagined. Ive been playing around and apapting you example to suit.....apart from a few teething problems with weighting...im nearly there. Il post it when im happy!

Thanx once again JM!

Jim M
09-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Cool glad you got the hang of it. Its pretty easy and versatile isn't it!
Though the 'tricky' bit is the weight maps, you aren't limited to using them, you could just quickly do some linear uvs ...or just plain ol linear mapping [if you are lazy, and want things to mess up somewhere along the way]... and do the 'weights' as a white to black gradient in photoshop etc, then you could align the intersections with the relevant intersections values more easily, and in terms of amends, this would be easier also...

Otterman
09-10-2008, 05:16 AM
ok...heres what ive managed so far...its not perfect by no means but at least its progress!

Ive just gota work out a return flow and add a little morphing here and there then i can start working on a finished animation. Ill post a new thread in the wip. Feedback is always a good thing...and jim, uve helped me out loads:thumbsup:

Jim M
09-10-2008, 05:31 AM
I'd tweak one of those weight maps...
Getting there though, should illustrate the process nicely.