PDA

View Full Version : Stability issues with Nodes

Captain Obvious
09-03-2008, 04:36 AM
I get a LOT of random crashes when I'm using the node editor. Usually Lightwave doesn't stay running for more than ten minutes or so. The majority of the crashes happen when adding, removing, connecting or disconnecting nodes. Editing existing nodes very rarely causes crashes, but rewiring a network or copying or pasting nodes make it go down like an exploding zeppelin.

Is it just my machine that's wonky, or is the node editor horribly unstable? If this is a known issue, should I perhaps start sending crash reports to NewTek?

I'm running 64-bit 9.3.1 on XP Pro, by the way.

Lewis
09-03-2008, 12:31 PM
If you can reproduce it then yeah send the report. I've played a bit with nodes in last couple days and didn't have crashes but then I've not used more than 6-7 nodes/connections so it might be too easy setup to reproduce your experience.

peterpaw
09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
I working only with nodes. Sometimes, like a four months ago, about a hundred nodes/connections in a one material.
Check out LW 9.5x. It's MANY more stable at surfacing with nodes, but then You have a different problems, which are invisible in 9.3.1. (that is why I'm still with 9.3.1 at work)
But, as You know, this is a beta phase.
(x32 here)

Lewis
09-03-2008, 02:19 PM
what is beta phase in "Lightwave 3D Support" part of the forum :D :D???

peterpaw
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Opps, sorry (I'm too tired...) -*which is in beta stage (phase). :D
Thanks!

Sensei
09-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Since LW v9.0 I am using only nodes, and had no crash with any built-in node. 3rd party is different story and don't count?

Lightwolf
09-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Since LW v9.0 I am using only nodes, and had no crash with any built-in node.
What was your longest session in any node editor?
Try editing constantly for 30 minutes (the number of editing steps plays a role, and you'd probably reach a thousand or more in that time) and at least 9.0 goes down.

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
09-08-2008, 06:09 AM
It seems that the probability of a crash when changing a node connection is directly proportional to the number of changes you have already made in that session. Maybe it's the undo history causing problems? Editing individual node's settings have a smaller (but non-zero) probability of crashing. The longer your session lasts, the bigger the risk of a crash when rewiring the network or changing a setting. Certain operations are more risky than others:
-Deleting a node that's connected to other nodes is more dangerous than deleting an unconnected node.
-Grabbing a connected input and plugging it into a new node (thusly removing it from the first node) is more dangerous than adding another connection.
-Selecting all nodes at once with the keyboard shortcut is more dangerous than clicking and selecting a single node.

Third part nodes are no less stable than built-in nodes, in general. Some third party nodes are horribly unstable, but not in the random fashion described here.

Lightwolf
09-08-2008, 06:19 AM
It seems that the probability of a crash when changing a node connection is directly proportional to the number of changes you have already made in that session. Maybe it's the undo history causing problems?
That what I suspect as well. Especially since every undo step creates a (complete) copy of a nodes settings and private data.

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
09-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Could it be something as simple as the undo stack overflowing? I shall make a habit of clicking the "Purge" button every now and then and see if that improves stability.

Captain Obvious
09-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I've been clicking "Purge" every 10 or so edits, and since I started doing that an hour ago, I've had zero crashes (down from one ever 10-15 minutes). I will keep you guys posted, but the crashing does seem undo stack-related.

Captain Obvious
09-10-2008, 10:49 AM
SIGNIFICANTLY improved stability is achieved when Purging the undo stack every now and then.