PDA

View Full Version : Parent in Place not working

Tom Wood
09-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I have a basic scene that I re-use by doing a Replace>Object when I want a new scene with a new character. All my character objects have the same 11 layers.

I needed to add a new object layer into an existing scene, and it loaded into the scene at the origin, rather than in place relative to the character, even though Parent in Place was active.

Is there a way to force LW to load a new object layer into an existing Layout scene and place it in the correct location relative to the object the way it is in Modeler? EDIT: In Modeler the object is at the origin, but in Layout it is off to one side.

Thanks,

othornton
09-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Check pivot for the new layer. If that's ok, check the tranform values for the layer in Layout. If not one of those, I'm out of suggestions, good luck!

akademus
09-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Maybe setting your "pose" frame to -20 or so keyframe. Load in new model at frame zero, and move keys back to zero for the pose frame.

Just my .02$

Tom Wood
09-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks guys, I'll give those a try.

Here's the scene in question:

http://wendelbrume.com/2008/09/02/i-know-beer-makes-a-potential-partner-more-attractive-but-politics/

I needed to add the rotating "McCain-Palin 2008" as a separate layer to a standard character so I could rotate it. In Modeler all the layers are centered on the character at the origin, but in Layout they are parented to the "Head" layer which is moved to one side.

Importing the layer as a new layer it came in centered over the origin and it's too much a pain to re-align it to the character manually. In this case I moved some things around in the existing layers and placed the "M-P 08" in an existing layer that was then empty. Works, but I'd rather be able to add new layers on the fly.

akademus
09-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Replace MCCain-Palin 2008 with a null, load a new object and parent it to that null. That way it'll retain position of the previous one.