PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Final Cut?

jhogarty
09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Tried using Search but at the moment I keep getting an error. Might be my works firewall or something else.

I have two 6 second (180frame) animations I did in Lightwave 9.3.1 (Mac) and exported as *.mov using Quicktime, Animation option. When I try to play the clips in Quicktime they keep stopping after a second or so of playback. So I used Visual Hub to make them iTunes compatible and they play fine in Quicktime.

But both files, original and converted, when brought into FinalCut Pro seem to have issues. They place fine on the timeline but won't play back.

I'll try them on my other box later, but just wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues. I was hoping to avoid re-rendering out to a sequence of images but I guess that can be an option?

Thanks,

J.

Ooops, didn't mean for this to go in the 9.5 discussion thread. Apologies.

KiteGlider
09-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Recommend rendering to image sequence, then if working in quicktime, then "import image sequence" to choose codec etc.

I usually export to uncompressed AVI to work in Speed Edit. Save to mov should give you the same result.

virtualcomposer
09-02-2008, 09:04 AM
you mean save as multiple images?

jhogarty
09-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. I had FCP re-render the sequence and it plays out fine now (after a reboot, not sure if that had anything to do with it.)

I'll use the rendering to image sequence as a backup method going forward. And use my 8Core box instead of my lil MacBook Pro. :)

Just frustrating when I rendered to Quicktime then had to use another tool, VisualHub, just to get a smooth playback to preview to client. Luckily VH only took about 2min.

J.

Scazzino
09-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Sometimes high resolution QuickTime files won't play back without pausing/stuttering if they are not compressed enough. I often render out of After Effects or Shake to QuickTime files with the Animation codec set to maximum simply to create a master QuickTime file. These files don't play without pausing/stuttering on the 8-core Mac Pro. I only use them to create various compressed versions by opening the master in QuickTime Pro and then saving that out to newer versions using various compression settings with a codec like the H.264. Those compressed versions then run fine...

monovich
09-02-2008, 12:00 PM
FYI all you FCP users: Apple finally released the ProRes codec so you can share files easily with non FCP users now. This used to be a massive pain in the butt.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/appleproresquicktimedecoder10forwindows.html
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/appleproresquicktimedecoder10forwindows.html

virtualcomposer
09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
FYI all you FCP users: Apple finally released the ProRes codec so you can share files easily with non FCP users now. This used to be a massive pain in the butt.

I didn't see any instructions on the apple site. It just says what it does. Does this attach itself to my Quicktime Pro or do I use it when I export from FCP?

monovich
09-02-2008, 02:36 PM
its a codec, so just run the installer and any quicktime dependent functions will automatically recognize the ProRes codec from now on.

virtualcomposer
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
awesome because before this, I hated seeing my videos degrade and lose the quality after LW export.

danielkaiser
09-02-2008, 06:00 PM
you mean save as multiple images?

Yes!

virtualcomposer
09-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Is there a way to automate it? From what I think, if I want to render 100 frames, then instead of using QT mov I just use jpeg or Tiff?

cresshead
09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
if you need aphla channels then tif, tga and png are good choices..i use png as it's the default image type for discreet combustion.

to use seq of images in final cut>
[unless it's changed in newer version]
you need to make a reference mov using quicktime pro this is a mov wrapper of the folder where your image seq is stored

or

you can make a qucicktime mov and set it to millions+ using animation and this will have the alpha stored in the quicktime file.

last time i used finalcut you couldn't import a seq of frames with alpha's 'as is' like that of adobe premiere/combustion etc.
other than setting your still frame default to 1 frame long

virtualcomposer
09-03-2008, 10:30 AM
if you need aphla channels then tif, tga and png are good choices..i use png as it's the default image type for discreet combustion.

to use seq of images in final cut>
[unless it's changed in newer version]
you need to make a reference mov using quicktime pro this is a mov wrapper of the folder where your image seq is stored

or

you can make a qucicktime mov and set it to millions+ using animation and this will have the alpha stored in the quicktime file.

last time i used finalcut you couldn't import a seq of frames with alpha's 'as is' like that of adobe premiere/combustion etc.
other than setting your still frame default to 1 frame long

Yeah, I've done the millions of colours thing but it still doesn't work properly. I still lose resolution as soon as it goes into Final Cut. Everything looks great out of LW but as soon as I export out of final cut with the settings to Animation/millions of colours, & all frames, it still doesn't come out correctly.

Ian Graham
09-03-2008, 07:31 PM
"as soon as I export out of final cut with the settings to Animation/millions of colours, & all frames, it still doesn't come out correctly."

When exporting from the FCP timeline with alpha DO NOT render the relevant portion of the FCP timeline. Just export it. It works fine.

BigHache
09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Ian, is that with FCP 5 or 6? I haven't tried in 6 yet, but I was never able to get alphas exported from 5. I have AE at my disposal so it's not a big deal though.

Also, is that with the QuickTime/QuickTime Conversion export or through Compressor?