PDA

View Full Version : New Google Browser..downloadable on Wed

guardonduty
09-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Called Chrome should be available for download this Tuesday...Beta version. Interesting......http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7593106.stm

Comments

cagey5
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Just downloaded and trying now. So far so good but all I've done is download and browse to this page. Looks clean and quick though, sorta what you want from a browser.

COBRASoft
09-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I downloaded it and tried it. Nice spelling feature in large textboxes. Speed is yet to be seen. I also installed IE 8 beta 2 and it rocks. Really fast and stable.

Who will win this war? FireFox 3 is also impressive...

cagey5
09-02-2008, 05:12 PM
I downloaded it and tried it. Nice spelling feature in large textboxes. Speed is yet to be seen. I also installed IE 8 beta 2 and it rocks. Really fast and stable.

Yeah, I noticed the in-line spell checker, which could be quite handy. It didn't like sorta from my previous post for instance which is what brought it to my attention. Not installed the IE 8 version yet so I'll withhold judgement for now. But competition is good I guess. Just got to watch those freebie versions, they sneak up on you when you least expect them. Even when all the browsers are free..

DiscreetFX
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Nice browser, competition is a good thing.

Oedo 808
09-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm an Opera man myself, I'm going to give this a try though.

Sekhar
09-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Yup, checking it out... looks blazing fast. Some benchmarks on the JavaScript side are already out - Speed test: Google Chrome beats Firefox, IE, Safari (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html?part=rss).

It's a bit on the unattractive side though (I'm a Safari on Windows user), I'm sure skins will come up pretty quickly. Also, no direct bookmark import from Safari, had to do it via FF.

In related news, IE 8 consumes more RAM than Windows XP (http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2008/09/ie_8_consumes_m.html), I guess in keeping with the Microsoft tradition.

Matt
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Been trying it out too.

What I do like:

Fast
Compliant
Recent pages on Home page is nice
Ability to tear off tabs into new windows

What I don't like:

Horrible Windows XP blue look
Lack of plugins (I would miss FoxMarks in FireFox)
Lack of a proper bookmarks organiser (you can edit and move in the menu though)
No way to hide the download progress at the bottom of the window
Can't edit the Home page to always show certain favourites

That's all I can think of in the moments I spent with it. Probably stick with FireFox I think.

RollerJesus
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Lack of plugins (I would miss FoxMarks in FireFox)

The glowing symbol of a true LW user... must... have.... plugins... :D

So, haven't installed it yet. Is it going to be not only the browser to end all browsers, but a browser to replace Windows all together as claimed by the slackers over at GOOG?

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

IMI
09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm just curious - what constitutes "fast" in a browser? It's not like it's a highly demanding app like LW, where GI was slow before and now is fast(er)...

No, I'm not arguing, just curious. :)
I'm using FF 3.01, and it has some really great plugins such as Ad Block and Flash Block, which I couldn't do without, plus some great themes, and an excellent bookmark editor/importer/exporter (though I liked it better in FF 2, truth be told).

But, it's fast - plenty fast. fast enough for me, at least.
So I'm wondering, what do these blazing fast new browsers do? Can they load your page the second you think of what you want, before typing or clicking? Now THAT would be fast. ;)

Sekhar
09-02-2008, 10:05 PM
So I'm wondering, what do these blazing fast new browsers do?

A big area is in executing client side scripting (JavaScript) - the difference can be dramatic for script heavy pages. See comparison chart I gave above in an earlier post. If you're talking about a simple static text page, you're probably not going to find much difference.

Matt
09-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Not on my machine. It has my slick, very dark (custom colours), semi transparent Vista appearance. I quite like the interface as it is very uncluttered and nice looking.

Does it have the fugly blue XP look, even if you're running a different desktop theme in XP?

I have the black Zune theme on my PC, but Chrome insists on being blue, it's not quite as bad as Windows XP Luna scheme, but close.

grimoirecg
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah, it lacks the plugins that give Firefox so much extra functionality. Who cares about a little extra speed in some areas, the differences are minor anyway when we're all on superfast broadband.
Since all browsers are free, there's very little incentive to change without a major reason to do so.
I cant' see anyone leaving Firefox for this, but IE users might.

Hopper
09-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I used to use them all , but lately IE has sent me running the other way. Once things get mucked up in the registry, your pretty hosed. My delete key even stopped working in forms because the encoding wouldn't revert to my preferences anymore - even after a complete gutting and re-install.

I tried the new one. Pretty slick and low key - something I'd expect from Google. Looks to be something they can expand on. I'd give it an 8 so far.

mattclary
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I am a huge fan of Adblock in Firefox, obviously, this is not a feature and ad company will include in their browser, so it's a no-go for me.

zapper1998
09-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I guess it is not 64 bit compatible....

steamthunk
09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
It kind of frustrates me that in this day and age people will write another browser. Why not just contribute the hordes of Google software engineering that must have went into this into making Firefox better? I guess its true that the horrible secret of the software industry is that everyone would rather roll their own than reuse code.

So what, they make this so that sometime in the future they can re-invent wordprocessing - in a browser - like it's 1998 all over again. True there's a big difference in techniques and technologies, but I really wish people would stop writing office suites and web browsers and calendars. There are so many other problems that need solving!

Sekhar
09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
It kind of frustrates me that in this day and age people will write another browser.

Apparently, Google is worried MS will use IE8 and their OS dominance to restrict Google search/AdWords - having a browser of their own bypasses the middleman browser (IE8, or FF3 for that matter).

Jim_C
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
This test calls it "Insanely Fast"

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2507&tag=nl.e539

Jim_C
09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Any other Opera users? I prefer it over FF.

I can't use Chrome till it adds mouse gestures.

calilifestyle
09-04-2008, 01:14 AM

FireFox has had this ability since 2

grimoirecg
09-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Firefox has a plugin for any feature you care to name from other browsers, and 100 more features the others don't have.
Besides, Google are getting too big for their own good these days, trying to straddle everything the planet.
Their search engine isn't even that good. For image searches I much prefer Yahoo, it's almost always gives more relevant results.

COBRASoft
09-04-2008, 04:35 AM
The first version of FF 3 was a disaster, buggy as hell. I have to test all common browsers for my job since I do some webdesign aswell. Chrome is good, but not there yet. FireFox is not on my computer anymore since I installed IE8 beta2 (full 64bit).

I was impressed by the Google online Application (spreadsheet and so), but I'm wondering how many people will actually use it in business. Also, Chrome and SilverLight don't work well together, I hope this will change in the future.

COBRASoft
09-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Flash is working perfectly here, as is all the rest in my new IE 8 beta 2. The URL textbox is enhanced a lot, ability to delete some of history list, within that list... Check it out guys, you won't regret it :)

zapper1998
09-07-2008, 09:52 AM
It is, Chrome works fine on my 64-bit system (Chrome itself is not 64-bit though,
but that is really not a priority either). I am not going to use it though as it lacks a lot of the must-have
functionality I have in Firefox 3. Maybe in the future...

I downloaded the Chrome, installed it, opened it up,
Crash big time Critical Error again and again......

So I Uninstalled it...
64 bit OS Win XP Pro..SP3
I use FF3, and Uninstalled IE7 when I re Formatted and Reloaded My Machine..

Lightwolf
09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Any other Opera users? I prefer it over FF.
You're not alone :D

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I downloaded the Chrome, installed it, opened it up,
Crash big time Critical Error again and again......

So I Uninstalled it...
64 bit OS Win XP Pro..SP3

It works here, XP64 SP3.

Cheers,
Mike

COBRASoft
09-09-2008, 04:33 AM
Neverko: you're right, stupid me :thumbsdow, but IE8 beta 2 stays a very good browser. Chrome has a lot of bugs in it (scrolling up and down sometimes hangs the browser).

mattclary
09-09-2008, 06:07 AM
I guess it is not 64 bit compatible....

I installed it on XP64 and it worked fine.

mattclary
09-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Die Google ads and data mining.

Word.

Sekhar
10-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Neverko: you're right, stupid me :thumbsdow, but IE8 beta 2 stays a very good browser. Chrome has a lot of bugs in it (scrolling up and down sometimes hangs the browser).

Those of you using IE8 beta: are you having any trouble accessing pull down menus on the NT forums? E.g., like the "Search" and "Quick Links" at the top of this page? They just don't work for me on IE8, no problems on other browsers.

Sekhar
10-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for checking. I guess we'll have to blame IE, not NT. Will try to report that to MS.

Sekhar
10-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Just went to the MS site and discovered that this is actually a compatibility issue (NT pages not being compatible with IE8), and IE8 actually warns of this with a broken page icon at the top (next to reload) - clicking on that will make IE8 work like IE7 and all will be well. See Compatibility View (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta/features/enhanced-navigation.aspx) for more. MS, I'm impressed.

BTW, I was gushing with excitement with Chrome back when it was released; but the honeymoon is over, and I'm switching to IE8. For those of you considering Chrome, it's fast, has pull-out tabs, cool search, and all, but below are some of the issues that're forcing me to switch:

Incompatible with too many sites, most importantly conferencing/videocast
Can't export bookmarks (easily, that is - there are some free tools and indirect ways) to share with other browser instances
Loses cookies regularly, forcing me to log in on a regular basis

IE8 looks good so far, will see how it goes.

Sekhar
12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, Chrome's out of beta!