PDA

View Full Version : I can't bend my text!

tomtank
07-31-2003, 08:47 AM
Hi

Can anybody help? I'm new to Lightwave and am having a bit of difficulty. I need to wrap some extruded text for a store directory around a circular column but can't seem to find a way of doing it - am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks

Tom

BeeVee
07-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Possibly. :) Bending objects in LightWave is very simple, however, getting it right with an extruded object isn't so easy. Try bending the text first before you extrude it, then use smooth shift rather than extrude...

B

Dodgy
07-31-2003, 10:08 AM
How are you having difficulties???

tomtank
07-31-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi

My problem is that I can't seem to work out how to bend my text to fit a specified column size - I assume the bend tool is appropriate for this?

(My column is 420mm diameter and I want directory text to wrap on each 'side')

Thanks

tomtank

CoryC
07-31-2003, 10:42 AM
You could also try the Spline Guide tool. Build your text and extrude it, then use Spline Guide set to bend. You many need to break your sentence up into a few sections to get it bent 360 degrees.

Use a circle to the size you want in the background to align to. If you get too much distortion on the ends try more points in the curve or smaller blocks of text.

Dodgy
07-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Ensure your text is placed so that the back left corner of the text is touching the back centre point of the column. (assuming your text is facing z- and your column is upright) Then use the bend tool in the right viewport, starting at the z+side of the text (where it meets the column), dragging right, and the text should wrap around. It helps if your text is the right length to get an even coverage. Then you can rotate it around the centre of the column to position it.

Dodgy
07-31-2003, 12:07 PM
Here's where I mean:

prospector
07-31-2003, 04:28 PM
BeeVee..
that does work
BUT
a smooth shift leaves one side empty on the face

so either the front or rear face is empty

ok if ya don't see the backs but if letters go around columb then the rear faces become invisable but not the sides in camera view on opposite side.
not good

best to do a very small extrude while letters are straight, rename the rear facing polys, do the bend, highlight the rear facing polys,then do a size to the center, this will keep the rear polys, and the sizing will shrink the letters so they look like the go into the distance as they get smaller.
even if you don't have much room between columb and letters, the slight decrease in size will give a better look to it.

CoryC
07-31-2003, 04:36 PM
Extruding the text polys will also keep back polys. Another thing you can do is after extruding, select all the >4 point polys (should get all the faces and backs, and put a slight bevel on them.

prospector
07-31-2003, 04:43 PM
That's what I said :D

Smooth shift dosen't

CoryC
07-31-2003, 07:33 PM
Oh yea, duh! What he said.

tomtank
08-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied.......I'll give your suggestions a try today!

tomtank