PDA

View Full Version : No procedural or gradient textures visible in Modeler!

Litebright
08-31-2008, 08:04 PM
I just upgraded my Lightwave 8.3 to 8.5 and installed a Geforce 7600GT 512MB RAM video card that states it has FULL Open GL 2.0 support. I also have the latest version of DirectX 9.0c installed and and the appropriate Nvidia graphics board driver version 176.16 dated early May 2008. I assume the graphics board drivers contain the Open GL 2.0 driver??

After doing all this, I am UNABLE to see any procedural or gradient textures on my objects in Modeler :( I only seem to be able to see them in Layout and even then, not 100% of the time. I upgraded to 8.5 and bought the new graphics board specifically so I could see all of my textures as I am modeling! So I have zero improvement over using Lightwave 8.3 with a 2003 vintage Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB RAM card.. In addition, I don't notice much of any improvement speed wise, when scrubbing the timeline in layout.

Also my four viewports in both Modeler and Layout go blank then redraw, when I am doing certain things while I am using either Modeler or Layout (it happens fairly quickly, but it is highly annoying). I never experienced this with the old Radeon 9000 card...

Is Open GL 2.0 suppose to allow you to see procedural and gradient textures in both Modeler and Layout when using Lightwave 8.5? It was my understanding that it does based on reading information on the Newtek website, and the readme file for 8.5..

Is there some sort of hidden setting that I need to configure in the Lightwave programs???

In preferences in Layout I have the followed checked (enabled):

OpenGL Textures
Faster Highlights
OpenGL Pixel Blending
OpenGL Reflections
OpenGL Mipmap
OpenGL Transparency
OpenGL Multi-Texturing
Color Channel
Diffuse Channel
GLSL HW Shading (have absolutely no idea what this is)
Transparency Channel
Luminosity Channel

I see no preferences like this in Modeler, only in Layout..

Hopefully someone can clarify what the deal is with this Open GL 2.0 stuff and why I am having ZERO improvement with it in Modeler.

Litebright
08-31-2008, 09:11 PM
I got a hold of the Lightwave 8.5 addendum PDF and after looking it over, i guess the Open GL 2.0 features are only supported in Layout, not Modeler. And even in Layout, as far as I can tell from my experiementation thus far, I don't think they are much of a substitute for VIPER. The VIPER module's preview is FAR more accurate.