PDA

View Full Version : Vue 7 DEMO Video..... looking sweeeet

guardonduty
08-31-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8mLPEsUYiM&fmt=6

archijam
08-31-2008, 03:42 PM
... And so did the vue6 vids. Half of that material was in them too.
Don't get me wrong, some great looking new things, but unless eon have spent most of their time fixing the basic problems, I can't get excited anymore ;) ..

Well maybe a little. Let's hope they got it right!

Andyjaggy
08-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah most of that stuff was in the Vue 6 vids.

I really do think Vue is coming of age, but again I'll have to do a trial before I give them any more of my money.

stevecullum
09-01-2008, 10:40 AM
The main thing for me is the sloooow render times. Unless they have improved that, might as well use HD Instance 2 and Lightwave, which is faster.

Tusnelda
09-02-2008, 06:29 AM
a few years ago you could tell the jump from VUE 5 to 6 by watching the v6 reel ..... this recent supposed-to-be-v7 reel, however, doesn't show anything that could be associated with a new full-point version .... merely looks like a 6.x update at most ... and certainly doesn't justify e-ons high price tag.

guardonduty
09-02-2008, 08:47 AM
I might take a bite of Vue 6 if I get 7 for free. International(Resorts, Hotels) and small town(future growth plans) business could really grab attention(play with the big boys) with demos made with this software.

Andyjaggy
09-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I was hoping for a video showing he Vue 7 integration in action. Or the new ecosystem abilities. I allready know you can make cool stuff with Vue, I don't need another eye candy video.

lwaddict
09-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't give them another dime until they've fixed what they sold oh so many of us this last round.:tsktsk:

Tech support is horrible.:twak:

Updates generally screw more things up than they 'attempted' to fix.

Integration with 3d apps doesn't function properly...not that this was an easy task, but they DID sell it to us. :deal:

And this video only shows infinite terrains as the new item.:screwy:

No way they're getting more mulah because of an old video with a few updates...I swallowed the red pill last time, uh uh.

starbase1
09-10-2008, 04:10 AM
I wouldn't give them another dime until they've fixed what they sold oh so many of us this last round.:tsktsk:

Tech support is horrible.:twak:

Updates generally screw more things up than they 'attempted' to fix.

Integration with 3d apps doesn't function properly...not that this was an easy task, but they DID sell it to us. :deal:

And this video only shows infinite terrains as the new item.:screwy:

No way they're getting more mulah because of an old video with a few updates...I swallowed the red pill last time, uh uh.

And don't forget the hideous hoop jumping you have to go through to get your software over to a new machine, re-instaling from the first release you bought on up. Thats a deal killer for me if they expect me to do that again.

dballesg
09-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Do not know if you have seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYjmMhMnyH0

But it is under 3D MAX.

David

lwaddict
09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
And don't forget the hideous hoop jumping you have to go through to get your software over to a new machine, re-instaling from the first release you bought on up. Thats a deal killer for me if they expect me to do that again.

Oh man, I totally heart that...
I also remember loathing dongles but now that you can literally hub 8 on a 5 dollar USB adapter and switch machines almost at will...I love em.
Now I can move from home office, to garage render system (stays cool in there), and even to living room bigscreen PC for demo, dailies, etc.

Just keep an eye on (no pun intended) the boards over there...when the Mac users finally quell and the serious, I'm talking serious, users are no longer crying out about how this is destroying the workflow...I'd jump back in and buy it again.

It's dream software. It does some things ridiculously better than other. But it doesn't live up to the promises printed on the box. Not by a long shot.

Sad part is watching new users get it and go on and on about how great it is...jot those names down and wait...eventually, "why can't I animate?", "why doesn't this work with...?", and on and on. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

virtualcomposer
09-10-2008, 08:03 AM
I haven't and won't upgrade either. I have Vue 5 and I know that the render time is the thing that got me. I would have one still picture and made to where it was moderately photo realistic...it took 27 hours. ONE PHOTO!!! It wasn't even an animation and it took that long and it didn't even really look photo realistic and no motion blur on the water. I know Vue can make awesome scenes but unless you've got a 200 computer render farm, it's not possible to make photo realism unless you compromise on allot of detail and terrain. If they can figure out how to cut render time to a realistic time and fix their tech support, they would sell much more and make people happier. Maybe they should merge with Newtek. LOL

Sekhar
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
... And so did the vue6 vids. Half of that material was in them too.
Don't get me wrong, some great looking new things, but unless eon have spent most of their time fixing the basic problems, I can't get excited anymore ;) ..

Well maybe a little. Let's hope they got it right!

Yeah, remember the movie Jumanji? It's like in the end a new kid finds the game in the dump and thinks "wow!" :)

lwaddict
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Actually...lol...it was in the attic wasn't it? LOL.
Same difference though...someone left it there for a reason. LOL

Ya know, I never had issues with the render times.
I expected to pay the price for scenes like those and know that you'll pay one way or another.

Stills aren't the issue really. If you stay away from integration with another package like Lightwave, it's great.

Animation is the killer.
And then most of whatever was promised after that.

27 hours seems steep though.
Depending on your system and how the scene was setup...something gave out. I just recently rendered out a short but sweet fly across the ocean with it, saving into separate frame files (just in case...and I was right, twelve times...another story) and the whole thing only took about a day and a half with the best rendering, blur, reflections, the whole she-bang going on.

Still...crashed at least 12 times. That was without any object beside the moon in the scene. And the PC running it was fine, loads of memory and HD and an NVidia that has only seen defeat at the hands of Vue.

lwaddict
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Still...if everything else worked.
I'd be willing to live with the render times at hand.

kopperdrake
09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
I've tried using Xstream 6 for animation and the time it takes to do a test render to play with the render settings to get decent times was better spent creating a texture map and getting placement maps set up with HD Instance instead. It's a shame, at the moment I tend to use vue mostly for background skies - unless the render times are sped up it's only of use to those pros with massive render farms at their disposal or hobbyists with no deadlines except those self-imposed. For the rest of us in the middle somewhere, unless they've moved things along it's too painful :(

virtualcomposer
09-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I've tried using Xstream 6 for animation and the time it takes to do a test render to play with the render settings to get decent times was better spent creating a texture map and getting placement maps set up with HD Instance instead. It's a shame, at the moment I tend to use vue mostly for background skies - unless the render times are sped up it's only of use to those pros with massive render farms at their disposal or hobbyists with no deadlines except those self-imposed. For the rest of us in the middle somewhere, unless they've moved things along it's too painful :(

Yeah, I agree. Unless someone has a massive render farm, it's for hobbiest or people who use just peaces of it. I had Vue 5 with a quad G5 at the time and that's the computer it took 27 hours on. I had the setting to Broadcast so it wasn't super perfect and it took that long. Many people on their forum as well as this one complain about render time. I think Vue is incredibly awesome and has the potential of almost fooling the eye in what's real and not but if the render for a photorealistic is so impractical, then it's not worth buying. Sort of like buying a car that the engine can go 400 mph but it's made out of the heaviest material known. The reality is that the engine may have a potential of 400mph but because of its design it can only go 60. Reminds me of Vue.

Andyjaggy
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Well that's your problem right there, your using the built in render settings. I've been able to render massive forests in around 1.5 hours a frame. Yeah that's long but not for what you consider you are rendering.

virtualcomposer
09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Well that's your problem right there, your using the built in render settings. I've been able to render massive forests in around 1.5 hours a frame. Yeah that's long but not for what you consider you are rendering.

What render settings do you recommend? I'm using a Mac Pro now so it shouldn't take as long even though I'd be using rosetta for Vue 5.

starbase1
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
You can do a LOT with the custom render settings to reduce render times. I learned a lot from this tutorial:

http://users.tns.net/~mwalter1/Vue_Render_Settings.pdf

Also worth noting that in Vue you can control render settings by surface, so (for example) if you tun off indirect lighting for the leaf surfaces used by a large number of distant trees, it can work wonders for render times.

Nick

virtualcomposer
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Wow, hey thanks. I think I'll fire up Vue right now.

Rollie Hudson
09-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I actually had a VERY GOOD experience with tech support with Vue 6 xStream recently, much to my surprise... got someone on the phone even. Very much improved from my past experience with them.

3dworks
09-18-2008, 03:55 PM
another good info about render settings in vue/xstream is here:

http://www.powderkeg.com/Vue6_Flicker.htm

markus

zapper1998
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I know the guy who built the Soldiers....In the Video.....small world

lwaddict
09-24-2008, 12:07 PM
I must have a higher resolution pic of that cat dude.

MUST.

ROFLMAO

jasonwestmas
10-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I agree. Unless someone has a massive render farm, it's for hobbiest or people who use just peaces of it. I had Vue 5 with a quad G5 at the time and that's the computer it took 27 hours on. I had the setting to Broadcast so it wasn't super perfect and it took that long. Many people on their forum as well as this one complain about render time. I think Vue is incredibly awesome and has the potential of almost fooling the eye in what's real and not but if the render for a photorealistic is so impractical, then it's not worth buying. Sort of like buying a car that the engine can go 400 mph but it's made out of the heaviest material known. The reality is that the engine may have a potential of 400mph but because of its design it can only go 60. Reminds me of Vue.

It is an option to export an entire scene to lwo format right? But I assume you guys are talking about using the animation and certain effects from vue using Xtreem correct?

lwaddict
10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
It is an option to export an entire scene to lwo format right? But I assume you guys are talking about using the animation and certain effects from vue using Xtreem correct?

Try it. :ohmy:
I've yet to see one of these landscaping programs effectively export the entire scene and retain the complexity of the original.

However, you can export trees individually and start your own LWO library which works great for populating a LW scene. :thumbsup:

But yeah, I think most are talking about xStream...nothing effect based, just getting it to work at all, as promised. :deal:

archijam
10-07-2008, 01:49 PM
The MAX integration is impressive. If they can really deliver that for LW (reeeeally?) I'm in. And by I, I mean my boss.

lwaddict
10-07-2008, 09:45 PM
:agree:

If it gets integrated, as promised, I'm in for up to three licenses...:lightwave
by me, I mean, I am the boss.

guardonduty
12-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Here's My test DEMO. No flickering. Renderer at Final with a couple tricks...just ..one. Also look at SIZE of the file. Comments please

kopperdrake
12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the sample guardonduty, but can you see flickering on the tree foliage - that's where I always got it and it seems to be in your animation too, unless it's the compression?