PDA

View Full Version : Saving a Light Rig?...how?

CaptCarty
08-31-2008, 06:32 AM
sry if this is a noobi'ish question, but I want to make a 4 point light rig that I want to be able to load into any new scene I load up in layout. Is it possible to do this? this way I can have a standard lighting set up I can treak as needed.:lightwave:

UnCommonGrafx
08-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Make that light rig scene and save it.

Begin another scene or load one into layout.
Use the command "Load Items" and select everything in the scene you want imported.

That should be it.

MooseDog
09-01-2008, 07:30 AM
option 2 is to create your rig in an empty scene and save the scen as "default.lws" in your root content directory. there will be your rig every time you open a fresh scene. also don't forget to check the clear to default box in one of the preference panels.

UnCommonGrafx
09-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Even Better, MooseDog.

Tom Wood
09-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I never did get LW 8.5 to save and import a light rig. So I made default scenes. Use Object>Replace to swap out content, better to be at frame 0 when doing so. Remember to update the render output location each time.

CaptCarty
09-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, :) Ill give it a try.

I havent really been using LW much in the last several mnths, so it seems im forgetting more then im remembering, :(

CaptCarty
09-01-2008, 01:31 PM
option 2 is to create your rig in an empty scene and save the scen as "default.lws" in your root content directory. there will be your rig every time you open a fresh scene. also don't forget to check the clear to default box in one of the preference panels.

what would the root directory be? LW/programs?

MooseDog
09-01-2008, 07:20 PM
whereever you have your content directory. for instance mine, on windows, is G:/Lightwave95Content/Scenes/default.lws... yours might be C:/Program Files/Lightwave95/Content/Scenes/default.lws. iow, whereever yours is :)

Hopper
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
That's a really cool tip Moosedog. I made sure Clear to Default was checked, set my content directory to D:\Dev\Projects\LightWave and created a scene with two extra area lights, then saved it to D:\Dev\Projects\LightWave\default.lws, but it didn't open when I reopened Layout. Any other option I need to check/uncheck for it to work? I even put one in the same path + \Scenes - still no joy.

Thanks

TripD
09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Nice idea. I always have a project folder template at the ready, with all the appropriate sub-folders. Now it's gonna have a standard light scene in it as well! thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hopper
09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
That's a really cool tip Moosedog. I made sure Clear to Default was checked, set my content directory to D:\Dev\Projects\LightWave and created a scene with two extra area lights, then saved it to D:\Dev\Projects\LightWave\default.lws, but it didn't open when I reopened Layout. Any other option I need to check/uncheck for it to work? I even put one in the same path + \Scenes - still no joy.
Doh! Got it. The single quotes in my custom path configuration was causing the config file to go to the wrong path. Odd that it made two copies - one in my custom path and one in the usual user directory.

Thanks again Moosedog - great tip!

MooseDog
09-02-2008, 07:56 AM
np :thumbsup: i've learned so so much from the lw community, it's a pleasure to give (a tiny little :) ) something back.