PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics Project.. any thoughts on my approach?

wesball
08-30-2008, 12:30 AM
So I've got a simple dynamics scene for a title I'm making.

It involves several 3D, wood-textured, letters hanging from strings that drop into the frame and bounce around and knock into each other etc.

That's problem 1. How can I have a clothlike simulation on the string, and a solid dynamics collision object on the letters? Should I make 1 object or two?

Problem 2...

Is the strings have to get cut (thankfully out of frame) making all the letters fall and bounce around on the floor, assuming their little wires follow with. I'm posting a quick thumbnail sketch to futher illustrate.

I'd appreciate any pointers or directions to turn as I'm a bit rusty on dynamics.

3DGFXStudios
08-30-2008, 04:46 AM
It will be easier to do it in maya or something...

LightFreeze
08-30-2008, 09:05 AM
its a bit rough (http://www.VueScripts.com/clips/BounceText.mov) but it should get you started

wesball
08-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks LightFreeze. Definitely a good start.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get ride of the jiggly letters. That just won't fly. Tried bumping up the substructure... no luck. Will keep working at it.

Thanks.

Dodgy
08-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Try upping the resistance or viscosity.

LightFreeze
09-01-2008, 12:32 AM
you might be better turning down the substructure/spring and using makepath on the letter/string connection point and then getting solid letters to follow those paths.

Another option would be to stiffen up the letters a lot more, look inside the O to see what I mean.

The string jigglyness is because the substructure/spring value is too high and its trying to compress itself