PDA

View Full Version : Super Long DDR Projects

bob anderson
08-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I have a client with a VT[5] and he wants to be "on the air" web streaming 24/7. He does about 2 or 3 hours of live production per day, and wants to roll the other 21-22 hours with DDR projects. His issue is when he gets the DDR to 5 or 6 hours, the machine slows down to the point when moving a clip from the bin to the DDR, it takes 5 minutes before the machine comes back to life.

I've never set up projects that long, but I know many people have. I asked him about deleting the cache files etc. His clips are about 20 minutes long, and I was thinking perhaps the animated picons were sucking the RAM. ( he's got 2 GB RAM in a dual zeon 2.8 GHz machine. Video Drives are 4 RAID 0 SATA 500GB )

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bob Anderson

bob anderson
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
PS. He also has a TriCaster Studio that he is able to build long projects on without the problem.

Bob Anderson

Keith Gandy
09-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Which clip codec is he using for the ddr. MPEG2 seem to be really slow, but we have not had any problem with the standard Toaster Codecs. At the same time we have only put in one hour of production.

bob anderson
09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
It's not an issue of playing the clips. The interface turns to molasses after a certain number of clips get loaded in. I the project plays fine, but adding one more 30 second clip takes 5 minutes.

I'm going to the clients site tomorrow, and any help would be appreciated.

Bob Anderson

Jim_C
09-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Which clip codec is he using for the ddr.

?? x2

PIZAZZ
09-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Hey Bob I have a client that is using a VT for a master control setup and he routinely creates 12 hour playlists. Basically makes an hour or two in a DDR and then copy/pastes it as many times as he needs it. I don't remember running into any problems with his setup.

The big question is the format/codec of the clip. I believe that will answer lots of questions.

bbeanan
09-08-2008, 08:37 AM
could also be a corrupted clip somewhere in the list I have had that cause problems too... The only way to test this is put each in the DDR one at a time and see if plays all the way through.

nepvetm1
09-08-2008, 09:08 AM
We run a 24/7 webcast for our church using a VT4 system, dual xeons and 1 Gb of ram (our older vt system of two, the other is our switcher/post). We currently have an almost 8 hour playlist on a ddr and don't have any performance issues. That being said, 100% of the clips are in AVI/DV format, and we haven't tried a playlist that long on our VT5 system.

bob anderson
09-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Once again... it's not a playback issue. Everything plays fine. It's strictly an interface issue. Loading one more clip after a certain point causes the machine to "go to sleep" for 5 minutes each time he adds an additional clip. I'm going on site today so perhaps I will discover some weirdness.

Bob Anderson

Pete Draves
09-08-2008, 11:41 AM
No problem running large avi's in ddr here...But, when the long clips are unrendered projects the lockups occur.
solution use rendered clips, not projects.

Pete

Jim_C
09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Bob,

Could you please tell us what codec you use in the DDRs.
That has been the commonly asked question in this thread.

bob anderson
09-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I finally went to the clients station yesterday ( 2 1/2 hour drive ), and come to find out PART of the problem did have to do with format issues. When I loaded only avi files the DDRs at least didn't crash, but... With 20 hours of footage loaded, the interface was super sluggish. Upon re-starting the machine, it took several minutes for the DDR to open on screen. Once open, they played fine. I understand that all the little picon animations have to be cached into memory, and that takes a while, but everything seemed really sluggish once a loaded down DDR was opened.

Bob Anderson

Quiet1onTheSet
09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
...Once open, they played fine. I understand that all the little picon animations have to be cached into memory, and that takes a while, but everything seemed really sluggish once a loaded down DDR was opened.

Bob AndersonHi, Bob. Kindly get us all off the edges of our seats? What, pray tell, is/are the dominant codec(s) employed in that Client of yours' DDR?

A good number of folks posting to this thread are all aching to know. TIA
Q1