PDA

View Full Version : LW8 and MB5

TyVole
07-31-2003, 04:54 AM
This is a question for LW/MB users who have seen both LW8 and MB5.

Based on your initial impression, do you intend to:

a) Use LW8 in conjuction with MB5

b) Use only LW8

c) Use your current LW in conjuction with MB5

Thanks.

nuclearchutney
07-31-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by TyVole
This is a question for LW/MB users who have seen both LW8 and MB5.

Based on your initial impression, do you intend to:

a) Use LW8 in conjuction with MB5

b) Use only LW8

c) Use your current LW in conjuction with MB5

Thanks.

I already use LW in conjunction with MB 4.01. I will probably use MB once I have upgraded to 8. Why? I somtimes you mocap data and mocap cleanup in MB is awesome and the motionblending is awesome. Motion mixer has ways to go in that dept.
But I haven't upgraded since 6.5 which I seriously need to once I get some cash and probably will upgrade to MB5 once it comes out as well.

Castius
07-31-2003, 06:36 AM
A far as I can tell there will be much less need to look elsewhere for CA in LW 8. I believe Newtek understood that it needed it and addressed major areas that where the weakest parts. If they keep on top of that game plan it wonít be long before there will be anything to complain about. Then again the user always find something. 8)

Lw 8 looks sweet. Thanks Newtek.

hrgiger
07-31-2003, 06:40 AM
I agree Castius. With the new IK/FK ease of use, animatable points, dynamics, etc... a lot of things I've wanted for a while have been addressed.

gjjackson
07-31-2003, 06:42 AM
Since LW8 has enhanced the character rigging I was wondering whether LW was going to incorporate MB (some lite version maybe) as part of character animation, especially since LW8 is being released 4th qtr and the upgrade from the free MB is valid in the 4th qtr. If LW doesn't incorporate MB I'll probably get the upgrade since it's only $200. MotionBuilder does some good animation and with Lipsync included it makes it a good deal.

nuclearchutney
07-31-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Castius
A far as I can tell there will be much less need to look elsewhere for CA in LW 8. I believe Newtek understood that it needed it and addressed major areas that where the weakest parts. If they keep on top of that game plan it wonít be long before there will be anything to complain about. Then again the user always find something. 8)

Lw 8 looks sweet. Thanks Newtek.

Oh couldn't agree more.
But I don't use MB for CA. The need for me is for cleaning up and integratiing mocap data. Once the data is cleaned up i bring in the LW object and apply it to its skeleton and then take it back for surfacing/rendering. LW doesn't do cleanup anywhere close to how motion builder does. the LW FBX plugin is a godsend.

Mike Pauza
07-31-2003, 07:49 AM
TyVole:

I really love how amazingly fasy my copy of MB is, but with the new features of LW8 I don't expect I'll be using Motion Builder much. :)

-Mike

rabid pitbull
07-31-2003, 10:05 AM
I just got my copy of motionbuilder a few days ago, and I am utterly impressed with the speed. Even if LW had all the features of mb it will still dog down with more than a couple characters in the scene. Not to mention the render/preview speed is unbelievable.

I am still investigating the product, but I believe I will at least wait till LW improves opengl/final render speed before I upgrade. I will be upgrading to MB5 and using LW7.5c for awhile.

MB is laid out in a way that makes much more sense and is much easier to use imho.:) At this point LW needs to give me a reason to stop using MB, which I don't see happening till at least a point release of LW.

takkun
07-31-2003, 12:28 PM
I was considering upgrading my free copy of MB 4 to MB 5 but now that I've seen what LW 8 can do - pinning and unpinning and full body IK plus the quick rigging and bone dynamics, I definitely will be using LW 8 instead. :)

KillMe
07-31-2003, 02:08 PM
with reguard to the freelancer motionbuilder 5 you getting the standard version not pro so you loose alot of the functionaity and that includes the the mocap cleanup stuff from what i hear

i would contine to use motionbuilder with lw8 but not going to bother cause i cant help but feel its been nerfed and that with lightwaves improvements in ca it shouldn't be needed although i will miss the realtime preview =(

Nemoid
07-31-2003, 04:08 PM
I'd like to use only Lw, even if I like very much MB . i have it, but I didn0t use it so much for now cause lackof time!!!
ižd like to see cool features like MB in Lw also...maybe v8.x?

Cman
07-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by KillMe
with reguard to the freelancer motionbuilder 5 you getting the standard version not pro so you loose alot of the functionaity and that includes the the mocap cleanup stuff from what i hear

It is true that if you do not upgrade to MB5-Pro you lose essentially ALL mocap tools. However, you do not loose "alot of the functionality" - just the mocap stuff. (I understand you can still load bvh files)
For nuclearchutney, that would probably mean lots of functionality - but you still get the "auto" rigging, realtime anim, realtime rendering, cool expression system, etc etc.

HOWEVER, the LW8 demos at Siggraph (Thanks for the streaming!) really put a pause in my rah-rah for Motionbuilder.
The fact MB is only a $200 upgrade for me, I'll probably upgrade both...