PDA

View Full Version : Changing size of bones in 9.5 ?

Joker II
08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Downloaded 9.5 yesterday, opened a scene which I created with a previous version, now, all of a sudden, the bones are huge !

Can anyone tell me how I can alter them to the size they previously had ?

Tobian
08-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Preferences (d) > display > handles and icons > auto size bones

Spotted that in a help video, might be just the thing you need?

Joker II
08-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Thank you Tobian :thumbsup:

Always seems simple if you know how to solve a problem

liquid17
08-29-2008, 04:18 PM
LOL! I've been using the same setup from Timothy Albee :P

Joker II
08-30-2008, 03:26 AM
Yep, it sure is, the only problem I'm having is the arms, when moving them to a certain position, they start stretching beyond what they normally should be possible to do and the elbow isn't straightening properly when I pull on the wrist !

Probably doing something wrong, don't know what though ?

ranhell
08-30-2008, 11:13 PM
you might have joints selected if your skelegones are streching...

Joker II
08-31-2008, 02:30 AM
Hey ranhell,

Well, seeing that joints are a new feature since 9.5, I don't see how that could be the case as I created this character in a previous version of LW.

And, do you mean bones instead of skelegons ? Never saw any skelegons active in layout.

Guess I'll have to reexamine the rig from TA again and see where I maybe went in the wrong direction from the books perspective.

liquid17
09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Yep, it sure is, the only problem I'm having is the arms, when moving them to a certain position, they start stretching beyond what they normally should be possible to do and the elbow isn't straightening properly when I pull on the wrist !

Probably doing something wrong, don't know what though ?

I know how to fix this but im in a hurry right now, I'll try to post the answer later in the night!

Joker II
09-02-2008, 01:19 AM
I know how to fix this but im in a hurry right now, I'll try to post the answer later in the night!

Thanks liquid17, would be much appreciated if you could help me out with this :thumbsup:

liquid17
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks liquid17, would be much appreciated if you could help me out with this :thumbsup:

For the arms problem just go to your "Right Forearm" bone and in motion options set IK for Pitch. (For some reason Timothy just says to put the IK in Heading)

So now your "Right Forearm" and "Left Forearm" have to be Heading and Pitch set for the Inverse Kinematics.

Check the picture too, I hope this helps!

Joker II
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Yep, that did the trick liquid, thanks alot for that :thumbsup:

All I have to find out now is to actually turn the hand so that it is to the side of his body.

Moving it downward is no problem, but, I can't seem to turn the hand by using the elbow, so, that is my main problem now.

Anyway, thanks again for the help :thumbsup:

liquid17
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
It's supposed that you have to set or animate the position of the hand first and then adjust the elbow. Even the traditional 2D animators like Richard Williams suggest to draw the hand first and then the whole arm, otherwise you can get a lot of trouble.

With the Hand_Rot or Hand_Trans you can easly rotate the hand, or maybe you locked the pitch position by mistake.

Anyways Good luck on your projects!! ^^

Joker II
09-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Checked the properties of those bones and they seem to be set up correctly, pitch is activated on the hand_trans bones of which only bank is deactivated. In the tutorial though, he mentioned to deactivate the hand_rot bones on the rotation channel.

I now am thinking that it might be the weightmaps that aren't sufficiently influencing the lower arm when I turn the wrist.

Going to check that out next and heighten the values for the hand_trans bones on the lower arm part.

Joker II
09-05-2008, 05:37 AM
Well, tried altering the weight map influencing the lower arm. No luck with it.

I just can't seem to be able to twist the lower arm correctly, if I use the hand_trans bone, it get's twisted horribly.

Is their a way that I can add a kind of control system to twist/turn the wrist area without getting those horrible abnormal deformations ?

liquid17
09-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Can you post a screenshot? I'll try to figure it out =)

Joker II
09-07-2008, 03:49 AM
Hi liquid,

My apologies for reacting this late.

Ive been looking into the book again, seeing as it seemed strange that I wasn't able alter the rotation of the wrist and for sure, I found on page 176 8.6 the possibility to actually do so.

Therefore, I went back in the book to check the settings for hand_rot and hand_trans settings (page 122 6.5) and found my mistake there. I apparantly disabled them wrong handles.

So, all is working properly now.

Thanks again for your help, really appreciated :thumbsup:

liquid17
09-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Oh nice to know it! Good luck again with everything ^^