PDA

View Full Version : New computer- no VT5

turbin
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I just transferred my VT card from my Xeon system into a quad core Vista based system. System recognized the card and software installed OK.

When I try to boot VT5, I get a "cannot communicate with VT5 drivers" message. I have reseated the card and rebooted the system. Same error.

I can't get the required info to register the software to check for any updates so I don't know if something needs to be updated.

I hadn't used the Xeon system in probably 2 years as I have been editting in Premiere Pro CS3 and Speededit but the VT4 system worked great the last time I booted into it.

Any suggestions on the next step?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

Matt Drabick
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Reinstall just the VT[5] driver . . . you can do this by clicking custom install and only highlighting the VT[5] driver to be installed.

Matt Drabick, DigiTek Systems

turbin
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Reinstall just the VT[5] driver . . . you can do this by clicking custom install and only highlighting the VT[5] driver to be installed.

Matt Drabick, DigiTek Systems

Thanks, Matt. I'll give that a try.

Tim

Quiet1onTheSet
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Any suggestions on the next step?
Tim
Sure, Tim. It is utterly critical, if you're installing on Vista, to disable the UAC (User Account Control) *before* attempting to install the VT[5] drivers, and most especially before attempting to run VT[5] -- else, it won't start at all.

If UAC is still on (where you get Vista's pop-up dialogue box nearly everytime you launch an executable file), turn it off.
Go to Control Panel > User Accounts, and there, near the bottom of the window, click "Turn User Account Control On or Off".

Then you'll be presented with a checkbox to disable that function.

One other thing:
If ya' haven't done so, ya' just might find useful, some really good system performance-enhancing tips for Vista in the first several pages of the Vista Users: Are You Getting Constant System Drive-LED Thrashing? thread, by checking here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88033
(http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88033)

Be well!

Q1
:vticon:

turbin
08-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Sure, Tim. It is utterly critical, if you're installing on Vista, to disable the UAC (User Account Control) *before* attempting to install the VT[5] drivers, and most especially before attempting to run VT[5] -- else, it won't start at all.

Q1
:vticon:

Thanks! That did solve the problem! It also helped me install the x64 bit version of LW 9.5 on my laptop when it wouldn't accept my license registration.

So can UAC be turned back on once these programs are installed and running or does it need to stay off to use VT5 or LW?

Thanks again! You saved me hours of dismantling and cursing!
Tim

turbin
08-28-2008, 03:09 PM
:thumbsup:

Now that VT5 is running on this quad core- I should have moved it sooner as it is REALLY fast (2.4 ghz, 3 megs ram, Geforce 8600).

Thanks for the UAC suggestion followed by the reinstall of the VT5 drivers. Should be in a Newtek Vista FAQ (or maybe it is and I didn't see it!)

Thanks again to Q1 and Matt!
Tim

SBowie
08-29-2008, 06:22 AM
So can UAC be turned back on once these programs are installed and running or does it need to stay off to use VT5 or LW?I think the general consensus is to leave UAC (and a few other things) off permanently - and not just for convenience with NewTek apps.

I think they just put UAC in there to give Apple something to mock in their tv commercials. Everyone I know turns it off first thing.

turbin
08-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I think the general consensus is to leave UAC (and a few other things) off permanently - and not just for convenience with NewTek apps.

I think they just put UAC in there to give Apple something to mock in their tv commercials. Everyone I know turns it off first thing.

Thanks, Steve. I'll leave it off. I just have to ignore that little red security icon at the bottom of the screen indicating a problem!

From the thread Peter sent me, it seems the other things to turn off are superfetch and indexing? Anything else?

I haven't had any problems since turning off UAC and reinstalling the VT5 drivers. Everything is running pretty fast!

Thanks for everyone's help so far!
Tim

SBowie
08-29-2008, 07:06 AM
I usually leave indexing off selectively - for video drives only. I don't think it hurts to keep it on for the C drive.

turbin
08-29-2008, 08:41 AM
I usually leave indexing off selectively - for video drives only. I don't think it hurts to keep it on for the C drive.

Thanks, Steve. I'll watch it for a while and see if I notice any changes.

Tim

goodrichm
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Tim,

Would you mind posting the system specs (especially motherboard) of your new quad PC?

I'd like to upgrade my Xeon system too, but want to make sure what I buy will work with my VT card...MG

turbin
08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Tim,

Would you mind posting the system specs (especially motherboard) of your new quad PC?

I'd like to upgrade my Xeon system too, but want to make sure what I buy will work with my VT card...MG

Actually, I started building my own but decided to try an off the shelf computer. Custom built systems were out of our price range so I bought an HP Pavilion A6152N just for my VT5. I have an eSATA connector running off the motherboard for my external SATA drives. Works great for video drives and I can move the drives to my laptop for capturing video live via Abobe OnLocation from Premiere CS3.

I know others will pipe in that it is a bad idea due to the limited PCI slots, etc. but it has worked out great for me. I did upgrade the power supply to an 850 watt unit- as the included power supply was wimpy.

As they say, YMMV but I think we usually only hear from people who tried an off the shelf and failed to successfully troubleshoot it. My only troubleshooting was shutting off UAC!

Any other questions, let me know. And thanks to everyone for the help in identifying the UAC problem!

Tim

goodrichm
08-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks Tim for the quick response and great info!

A few more questions if you don't mind...

- What's the brand of the replacement power supply?
- What's the brand of the eSATA enclosure and hard drives?
- What version of Vista are you using (i.e. Ultimate, Business, Home, etc...)?

Thanks again...MG

turbin
08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks Tim for the quick response and great info!

A few more questions if you don't mind...

- What's the brand of the replacement power supply?
- What's the brand of the eSATA enclosure and hard drives?
- What version of Vista are you using (i.e. Ultimate, Business, Home, etc...)?

Thanks again...MG

Hey, Mark!

Just checking back but I'm at home now getting ready for a holiday trip/ I may run by the office tomorrow and can doublecheck the brands for you. The power supply and eSATA enclosures were bought from Newegg. That system is running Vista Home Premium. The laptop I'm using for capture is running Vista x64. I have had zero problems with Vista- other than the UAC thing that started this thread.

I guess if we knew how many VT5s were out there, we would have a better idea of how many people put them into an off the shelf computer. I'm pleased.

Tim

goodrichm
08-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Tim,
Don't go back to the office on my account! This info can wait. Run, don't walk, in the direction of your holiday destination :D