PDA

View Full Version : animation: particles: geometry

voovoo
07-31-2003, 02:32 AM
hi there
im an LW newbie and ive got a problem. ive animated a fish which is swimming from the right to left. the tail is swinging and all the stuff...

now i need to create whole shoal. how to do it? ive read the tuts on this site but nothing worked ;\... what am i doing wrong!? please, help! got short deadline!!!

regards,
v.

voovoo
07-31-2003, 03:52 AM
well... ive figured it out... i just had to change my objects bones/goals hierarchy.

now i have another question. how to make the emmiter stop emmiting particles at i.e. 30 frame?

v.

voovoo
07-31-2003, 03:58 AM
muhahaha
i just figured it out too!!! :)))
LOL... sorry

v.

voovoo
07-31-2003, 04:27 AM
nope... i did not :(

when i choose fx linker to make copies of the animated fish to particle emmiter... it does it... BUT... the goal objects for all other fishes are taken from the first fish... guess what is happening? every tail is pointing to the same goal... ;\...

ive used ik rig on my fish...

please people...

;\ HELP!!!
v.

voovoo
07-31-2003, 06:22 AM
well... ive found the way to do it (thanks to Pazur for the tip)... ive done MD Scan over animated fish. than i threw out the bones and all the ik stuff. added deformation to the fish geometry with MD again... and... voila! the particles play nice now :)

LW is AWESOME!

regards,
v.

Dodgy
07-31-2003, 06:28 AM
That's probably the problem then. Use motion baker on your fish'es bones OR I would use MDscan (displacement plugin) to save out their displacements. You can then use MDplug with that swim.mdd on each fish and get rid of your bone/ik motions stuff completely. Then use FX linker on this displaced fish, and offset the start time in MDplug for each fish. Make sure Key move is on in MD plug too!)

Sounds a bit complex at the moment, but that should be sorted by 8 from the looks of things :)

voovoo
07-31-2003, 06:39 AM
yeah! i must say that lw is a really powerfull tool. i wonder what luxology guys will bring to us in the nearest years... ;)

v.

hunter
07-31-2003, 10:58 AM
For animating fish I chose not to use IK because LW bones are additive. You probably know this but it is a great trick. Just select several bones (this is without any IK or gols or anything) from the tip of the tail as far up the spine as you like. Select the rotate tool and play away.
Check it out. open a new scene. add a null. Add a bone to the null and add several child bones(=). Select all the bones press r and rotate away. Makes a great fish tail dolohin fluke elephant trunk tentacle etc.

voovoo
08-01-2003, 02:27 AM
cool... thanks hunter. i did not know that. im an lw newbie so a lot of things im still doing in a wrong way.

regards,
v.