PDA

View Full Version : Calling all second/middle siblings

meshpig
08-28-2008, 07:25 AM
I heard this thing on the radio @ 05:00 this morning. Yep, best time of day to be up and fire up the machine and ingest both strong coffee and all the things you've ever thought about, again.

I thought, screw ringing in to some dipwit radio station at that hour to respond. The Tag was: "second or middle siblings are never the parental favorites".

-Ha, won't even bother to elaborate because the seeming great thing about the middle siblings in the grind of the freakin familial machine is they invent, create , act, play, foible etc. their way out of the mud where the first fam faves just grovel their obedient, obsequious butts from point a to point b.

Like any determined second/middle child gives two ****'s about being the parental/oedipal favorite right?????

m

PS. yeah, when science tries to think humans ethically it all turns out like religion or astrology too.

StereoMike
08-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Depends I would say. I' m the third of four, but the first son. Am I the first sibling or a middle one? Cause obviously it ended up with me becoming the fav child of my dad...

mike

arsad
08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Me too, I'm the third of four and the only son. But I'm under the impression that my parents love
us all equally.

RollerJesus
08-28-2008, 12:39 PM
As the youngest in my family, I feel obligated to tell on you all.

meshpig
08-29-2008, 02:06 AM
As the youngest in my family, I feel obligated to tell on you all.

Ha!

-I don't think it's a question of whether one is loved equally. I'm the second of 3 sons and never felt unloved, as it were.

No this is apparently science and the favorite in a family usually fares better. Is more likely to be the eldest or the youngest but not the in betweens.

Depends I would say. I' m the third of four, but the first son. Am I the first sibling or a middle one? Cause obviously it ended up with me becoming the fav child of my dad...

Mike, I don't know. But one of the characteristic of the middle siblings is often to rebel and become something other than locked into the oedipal triangle... you know, the out do your father kind of thing.

It's interesting because my wife is the 3rd of 4 daughters and we both know well the middle child syndrome.

m

StereoMike
08-30-2008, 03:08 AM
In my case it's some mixture I guess. My mum has a very strong bond to her first child (a daughter, the theory works in that case), but I think for my father it was the archaic wish for a son. that led to me avoiding that middle sibling thing.

tribbles
08-30-2008, 04:53 AM
I am the middle sibling - however, a twin with my (older) brother.

To the best of my knowledge, our parents treated all of us the same.

meshpig
08-30-2008, 06:30 AM
In my case it's some mixture I guess. My mum has a very strong bond to her first child (a daughter, the theory works in that case), but I think for my father it was the archaic wish for a son. that led to me avoiding that middle sibling thing.

Interesting. How do you get on with your older sister? I mean I'm nearly 50
going on 25 and can almost say ( though not absolutely) that the family are at a comfortable distance and I can see a serve coming. All hatchets have been buried personally but I still don't trust the institution.

m

meshpig
08-30-2008, 06:47 AM
I am the middle sibling - however, a twin with my (older) brother.

To the best of my knowledge, our parents treated all of us the same.

I find that a little hard to believe although it isn't a question of having a "chip on your shoulder" either but more importantly, how do you get on with your older twin bro?

Me, via email and the occasional visit. Keep it lean.

m

tribbles
08-30-2008, 08:29 AM
I speak to him on the 'phone about once every two weeks (normally for about half an hour or so); IM occasionally, and I'm popping over to see him next week for a week, and he'll be following me back for the second week (I'm in the UK, and he's in France).

We get on fine :) We have very similar tastes and hobbies. And he's also a Lightwaver (just doesn't frequent the forums).

Verlon
08-31-2008, 04:20 PM
I have one older sister (who was also the first grandchild), and 3 younger siblings.

Going by baby photographs....yes, she had some favor. There are more photos of her than all the rest of us combined... I swear she couldn't sneeze without having it documented.

For me its like "Oh, I think there's one from that year...I'm sure we at least bought the school photo."

I think I should develop self-esteem issues and overcompensate by buying a Porsche. :devil: Think I could convince my wife?

Seriously, photos aside, was I the favorite? I don't think I care so much. There were times when I felt special, and times when I felt left out. Isn't that about normal? Now it doesn't matter. I have no living ascendants to be favored by. I am my wife's favorite, and that is all that matters.

D**N! I really wanted that Porsche.

Hopper
08-31-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm the youngest of three and I'm sure my parents like what's-her-name just fine.. :D

mac
08-31-2008, 10:48 PM
"middle siblings are never the parental favorites".

As the 3rd of five I can vouch for that

meshpig
09-01-2008, 06:51 AM
I speak to him on the 'phone about once every two weeks (normally for about half an hour or so); IM occasionally, and I'm popping over to see him next week for a week, and he'll be following me back for the second week (I'm in the UK, and he's in France).

We get on fine :) We have very similar tastes and hobbies. And he's also a Lightwaver (just doesn't frequent the forums).

Hey, that's pretty amazing really.

- Neither of my brothers live anywhere I feel inclined to go so you're lucky in that respect too.

m

meshpig
09-01-2008, 08:05 AM
As the 3rd of five I can vouch for that

- It's definitely a curious thing one's "place" in the order of the family. The middle siblings might cop the brunt but the faves, to me are maybe the real slaves to it.

m

akademus
09-03-2008, 05:03 AM
I'll have to ask my younger brother, I'm the first child and a first son.
But, I never noticed any favoritism from my parents. (or I just enjoyed their care :) )

cheers

meshpig
09-03-2008, 07:04 AM
I'll have to ask my younger brother, I'm the first child and a first son.
But, I never noticed any favoritism from my parents. (or I just enjoyed their care :) )

cheers

He'll probably never be able to answer you honestly but you also might be a very reasonable and appreciative older brother?

m

richcz3
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM

mike
Interesting - Same here. Fourth born - 1st of two sons. Hardly the favorite of my dad though.

I can sum it up like this. Oldest Sister and I are closer to my Mom. 2nd daughter, Middle daughter and youngest son are closer to my dad. Draw a line down the two sides shows the roots of sibling rivalry.

I think allot more is made of these things with generalizations or rules of thumb. There are exceptions to the rules and I've seen different family dynamics at play with other families.