PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#3

Iain
08-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This Week:

Subject - Medieval Weaponry
Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 3rd September 2008

Best of luck!

colkai
08-28-2008, 04:22 AM
Wooo, this one I should be able to do before toddling off on me hols!

cresshead
08-28-2008, 05:36 AM
ohhh...will def do this one!

R.Feeney
08-28-2008, 05:38 AM
45 min of modeling.
I should probably have looked for some reference pics before starting, well I can always claim that its more of a fantasy weapon than the real grim Medieval type :twak:
object, wires and render attached.

Iain
08-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Nice one!

Love the leather handle. Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of this nasty feller.

flakester
08-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Awesome start R. Feeney.

I get to thinking of the word 'nurofen' just from looking at it :thumbsup:

flakester.

R.Feeney
08-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Nice one!

Love the leather handle. Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of this nasty feller.

The strapping is a bit of a cheat really, bits of the handle multi shifted and one bit of a strap wrapped around on top of that to break up the look of the straight lines on the handle. After seeing the end of the last challenge I see what you mean, looks like there might be at least 3 of them.

R.Feeney
08-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Awesome start R. Feeney.

I get to thinking of the word 'nurofen' just from looking at it :thumbsup:

flakester.

Cheers, Some thing like this (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80248) maybe :D

flakester
08-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Cheers, Some thing like this (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80248) maybe :D

Aye, quite like that - indeed! Nice piece.
lmao "The Belushi". ORSM!

flakester.

colkai
08-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Managed to put this together during my lunch break, based on a Celtic spear.

Took about 30 mins of modelling, (yeah, I know, I'm slow :p), textures taken from some old presets I had made, rendered in the bog standard Lw scene for speed, will do a prettier render tonight.

Didn't show the whole spear as you'd not really see the business end then. :)

archijam
08-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Imediately wanted to do something from medieval China, given some of the very odd (http://members.lycos.nl/saolim/kungfusupply/C201-d1.JPG) weapons and staffs they fought with (check pages 41+43 (http://books.google.ch/books?id=SBENHIwJshMC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=rake+weapon+china&source=web&ots=9mFmAOAJll&sig=WTjZWk0OJmyplrmCvxlWM1FbtfI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA41,M1) ... fantastic stuff).

In the end I settled on an old favourite, the muck-rake of Pigsy from the ancient stories of the Monkey-king god. If you haven't read this, I recommend (http://www.amazon.com/Monkey-Novel-China-Wu-Cheng-en/dp/0802130860/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219931083&sr=1-1) it.

Modelling reference was memory, and this collection of videos (http://www.greatsage.net/monkey/video.html).

About 22 mins, with sub-d's.

Rendered with Ennis house HDRI, hence the odd reflections.

Enjoy the vids! ;)

flakester
08-28-2008, 07:53 AM
In the end I settled on an old favourite, the muck-rake of Pigsy from the ancient stories of the Monkey-king god.

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible ........ *~shing!* <--dodgy sound effect!
Man, that show [and the story] rocks! Did you know they did the Olympic idents for the BBC featuring Monkey, Pigsy and Sandy this year? Carried it off quite well too.

@Colkai: Ace fixture detail :thumbsup:

flakester.

colkai
08-28-2008, 08:25 AM
@Colkai: Ace fixture detail :thumbsup:
flakester.

Thanks, I've a host of ref images as I always wanted to do a 'dungeon armoury' type scene. If I get chance this evening, going to see if I can rustle up an axe an shield to go along side this.

Depends how much time the wife will "allow" me to play. :p

Iain
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
The nature of Monkey was irrepressible ........ *~shing!* <--dodgy sound effect!
Man, that show [and the story] rocks! Did you know they did the Olympic idents for the BBC featuring Monkey, Pigsy and Sandy this year? Carried it off quite well too.

I loved Monkey. My mum had to get a match out of my ear once-she didn't understand it was my staff magically shrunk down.

Didn't Jamie Hewlett use LW for Gorillaz? Don't know about the Olympics idents.

meshpig
08-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Got caught in the bevel to smooth shift/ extend type BS, barely made it out of the hour cleaning up the mess... wrong time of day obviously.

m

PS. I'll nail the f***** tomorrow.

Nangleator
08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Heh. That's one seriously overworked vertex between eye and bridge of nose.

flakester
08-28-2008, 09:06 AM
I loved Monkey. My mum had to get a match out of my ear once-she didn't understand it was my staff magically shrunk down.

Didn't Jamie Hewlett use LW for Gorillaz? Don't know about the Olympics idents.

That's just ORSM about having your shrunk staff in your ear - I used to end up hyperventilating by running around and 'calling down my magic cloud' a little to much. Aaaah, those were the days!

I'll be honest.... I don't know if Hewlett was hands-on with the 3D, or whether that was handled by people at Passion under his [art] direction. I'm sure others here could clear that up for me though.

Can't wait to find some time and do some research for this challenge. I'm kind of itching to get something done :D

flakester.

meshpig
08-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Heh. That's one seriously overworked vertex between eye and bridge of nose.

Overworked? BS. I've had a few glasses of wine post prandial.

m:devil:

archijam
08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Wires, with and without sub-ds.

archijam
08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Render without DOF.

That's pigsy's shadow, in case you're wondering ..

TripD
08-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Very nice Archijam. Hey... you know it looks a bit like a farming tool.... didn't the 'Nunchucks' <sp> begin as a tool for rice farming as well?

Kuzey
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Man, I so love this topic. :thumbsup:

I'm in Ankara at the moment and should be home (Izmir) on Sunday, hope to get something done before dead line.

Monkey Magic rocked and I was so in love with the female who played the monk. :D

Kuzey

colkai
08-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Ok,
Did my shield, took about 10 mins or so to lay out the spline, then, because I'm a certified nut job, I used this as a background template to build my shield rather than just lathe it - yup, I know, touched I am. :p

In the end, with the straps on the back that you don't see in the render, it took around 30 - 40 mins total from scratch to build.
Put some textures on it and rendered.

Attached is a ZIP with the shield and spear in.

Iain
08-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Here's a Knight's Dagger. I really enjoyed this one.

40 minutes modelling. LW render.

Nangleator
08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Iain! I don't understand the crimp shapes high up on the blade, but the pommel and guards... Stunning.

colkai
08-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Darn, wish my renders were that nice! :p

CMT
08-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Alright, Iain... You're just showing off now..... :D

Damn fine model and render! Beautiful.

CMT
08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I didn't get hardly any work done today as I was fiddling with the render on this for a few hours.... :D

Here's a decorative axe. About 50 minutes for modeling. About 3 hours for setting up the materials render. Still using 8.5 at work here.... :/

The mats aren't as good as I liked, but hopefully I can do better with 9.5 at home tonight.

Oedo 808
08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Holy carp! That's some great work already. I tried to make a fancy axe but I came unstuck and ended up with nothing. I'll try something else and start again.

Iain
08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Iain! I don't understand the crimp shapes high up on the blade, but the pommel and guards... Stunning.

I think that crimping was the Subpatch Level. I had it at 5 in display for fprime tests but 3 for actual detail.

Here's an fprime version (took longer and has no limit hdr, proper reflection blur or real lens camera niceness but hey ho!)

Thanks!

Iain
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Here's a decorative axe. About 50 minutes for modeling. About 3 hours for setting up the materials render. Still using 8.5 at work here.... :/

Nice axe!
I tried almost the same one today and ended up ditching it as I couldn't get the edges right. Went way over the hour for sod all!

I was inspired by memories of Slaine's brainbiter from 2000AD. More 80's nostalgia!

Iain
08-28-2008, 04:42 PM
oops, wire...........

wursti
08-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Okay, 3rd try on this halberd for me today, but I'm still not happy with it. Posting it anyways, because this seems to be what I am able to do within an hour. So here it is:

Modeling : 58 min.
Surface : 2 hrs
Render : 5 min.

Wow.. really nice renders done already!

Oedo 808
08-28-2008, 05:26 PM
That is very nice wursti, not bad at all for an hours work.

Though I must say if Newtek are going to supply a few things like t-shirts to the winners, they may as well just save money on postage and send everything to Iain now. ;)

You know what this contest really needs for people like me is a 'booby' prize. :tongue:

RollerJesus
08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I've been ultra-inspired/impressed by otacon's work lately and I just don't have the time to try a toy model and do this contest, so I thought I would make a model of a toy-medieval weapon.

This one took me right down to the wire. 59 minutes but the first 30 were in Discovery mode, so the 400 point per layer limit was a real pain. I spent about 2 hours on the texture/rendering.

Oh and your guys stuff is amazing! :thumbsup:

Oedo 808
08-28-2008, 08:28 PM
That's quite a funky little model you've got there RollerJesus, very dinky. It has a great sense of scale, the floor helps but the lighting works so that you wouldn't mistake it for a large model on an over-scaled floor texture that some renders appear to be. Groovy.

I'm sorry to be boring and post unrendered work again, but anything I try just makes it look even worse than plain grey, I'll try and render for the next challenge. Might have stolen a few extra seconds for a final copy/paste with this one, but at least it was all assembled on time even if I didn't have time to connect the pieces.

Not the cleanest model, but much better than my pathetic attempt at an axe at least.

RollerJesus
08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
That's quite a funky little model you've got there RollerJesus, very dinky. It has a great sense of scale, the floor helps but the lighting works so that you wouldn't mistake it for a large model on an over-scaled floor texture that some renders appear to be. Groovy.

Thanks, that's very much what I was trying to accomplish. I've taken to the texturing/rendering more quickly than most modeling concepts. For instance, I can't imagine how you did the detail on the end of the handle of that sword... Rail Extrude?

Patrick

shrox
08-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I've been ultra-inspired/impressed by otacon's work lately and I just don't have the time to try a toy model and do this contest, so I thought I would make a model of a toy-medieval weapon.

This one took me right down to the wire. 59 minutes but the first 30 were in Discovery mode, so the 400 point per layer limit was a real pain. I spent about 2 hours on the texture/rendering.

Oh and your guys stuff is amazing! :thumbsup:

Oh man! I thought I would be clever by making a trubuchet. You beat me to it.

Hopper
08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I was thinking about putting mine to video, but I realized they get big fast. What is the recommended codec to use for an 800x600 .MOV file? I tried MPEG-4 and it was still huge.

Oedo 808
08-28-2008, 09:59 PM
RollerJesus,

Yea I used Rail Extrude. I grabbed a Celtic pattern off the net to use as a reference and traced it using Spline Draw, I guess you'll know how to Rail Extrude, but I thought you might be interested as to how small the original extrude was:
The rest is fairly obvious but I may as well go through it anyway. I just mirrored the spline and merged the two into one, then I subdivided the square poly I wanted to extrude and used the Snap Drag tool to get it to sit perfectly on the spline without having to waste time lining it up manually, then just used Reduce Polygons to restore it to one, copied it to it's own layer and extruded with default settings.
I then flattened the end points onto the X-axis, mirrored the object, copy/paste/rotated, added a little depth with Stretch and that was it. Funnily enough probably the easiest part of that model.

art
08-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Here is my attempt, a mace. Chain attachment did not make it in the time alloted.

TripD
08-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow... some really awesome stuff starting to pop up!

I googled about and found an interesting dagger. I think it was from Damascus, but I can't be sure.

colkai
08-29-2008, 02:36 AM
Ok,
Now I'm depressed, there's some lovely work coming out here and all of a sudden, I feel so 3rd-rate. :( ... ;)

archijam
08-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Ok,
Now I'm depressed, there's some lovely work coming out here and all of a sudden, I feel so 3rd-rate. :( ... ;)

I know you were being sarcastic, but don't be fooled by appearances! :)

Instant cure:
Take shield.
Desaturate colours and change metal to chrome.
Add HDRI background.
Add background radiosity.
Add area light (or funky 9.5/dpont lights).
F9.

Bingo! Saved some money on that shrink...

IMI
08-29-2008, 03:09 AM
I was thinking about putting mine to video, but I realized they get big fast. What is the recommended codec to use for an 800x600 .MOV file? I tried MPEG-4 and it was still huge.

Probably Sorenson 3, or H.264. Both come with QT 7+ Pro.

These models look great. This is a cool thing you're doing, Iain, something this place has been missing. :)

Mitja
08-29-2008, 03:20 AM
Wow, these challenges are getting cooler and cooler!

colkai
08-29-2008, 04:00 AM
I know you were being sarcastic, but don't be fooled by appearances! :)
Not so much actually. :p It's amazing to see the quality of textures and renders, an area I really know I'm pretty bad at.

Instant cure:
Take shield.
Desaturate colours and change metal to chrome.
Add HDRI background.
Add background radiosity.
Add area light (or funky 9.5/dpont lights).
F9.

Bingo! Saved some money on that shrink...

Wow, that did make a difference, even on a "quick" render.

OlaHaldor
08-29-2008, 05:49 AM
DOH! This will really make my head hurt.. I mean - all those great models already in this thread - and figure out a new thing to model, and how to.. :confused:

meshpig
08-29-2008, 06:16 AM
... it's a bit of fun, the swords are awesome but I decided against something linear to test my mettle in battle...

Alas I ****** up, no forethought just grabbed a pic and where TF does an hour go?

Colkai... don't worry about it man.

m

RollerJesus
08-29-2008, 07:02 AM
I wanted to extrude and used the Snap Drag tool to get it to sit perfectly on the spline without having to waste time lining it up manually

Oh man, you have no idea how much time I've wasted trying to get polys lined up to rail extrude properly. Thanks for that, it's very much appreciated!

@Colkai, both the models you posted are rock solid. I pulled them into 3d-Coat to practice some texture painting and they imported perfectly because of the proper geometry, no such luck for my catapult... holes all over the place.

@Shrox, there a lots of differences between a catapult and a trebuchet and I would have rather have modeled a treb but I couldn't have made it in an hour, mostly due to the fact that there is rope/fabric involved in the sling and I haven't a clue on how to do model anything soft, or organic for that matter. (I watched Taron's video everyday for week and I still suck at it) So let's see it!

Oedo 808
08-29-2008, 07:02 AM
art & TripD, the mace and the dagger are very nice, I wouldn't have been able to get that much detail into the mace without cocking it up, and the dagger I just couldn't think where to start. good work there guys.

colkai, I know how you feel, it may be a modelling challenge but you still need a good setup to get the best out of your model, especially with the quality of work in here. Your second render is a good step forward, at least your texturing/rendering is much better than anything I can manage.

Meshpig, attempting that in an hour? It looks like a very tweak intensive model. It's still a very good effort, at least you didn't go for a sword 8~

By the way, is it a helmut from medieval Prussia? :p

Oedo 808
08-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Oh come on man, was that really five minutes!? Well it has been now, I wasn't going to bother double posting, this five minute rule is going to take a lot of getting used to, is it really appropriate for all areas of the forum. It's not just :thumbsdow but also :screwy:

RollerJesus, glad that tip was of some use, I'll bet there's someone out there with a tip for getting a perfect rotation also for those awkward splines. I'm all ears :)

colkai
08-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the support, it's hard for an old git like me to learn you see. ;) (Hey, s'my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :p)

Here's a Halberd (sp?), took me about 20 minutes or there abouts, this time I DID use the curves as a basis for the object, just a couple of spline draws, a couple of joining 'flat' curves then CTRL+D on 'medium', Finished off with some rounder / multishift action.
Made up as I couldn't find all my old ref pics yesterday, thought I'd lost 'em but found them on an old DVD today - phew!.

As normal, object enclosed. :)

colkai
08-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I'll bet there's someone out there with a tip for getting a perfect rotation also for those awkward splines. I'm all ears :)

Me, I dunno, so I just use these.... :)

CMT
08-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Just thought I'd share the reason for picking the medieval weapons theme.... I recently designed a sword for a metalsmith who was going to have this made into an actual battle ready art sword. It was a lot of fun making this sword, so I figured a challenge after this theme would be quite fun as well.

Here's the sword. It's not even remotely eligible for this challenge since it took well over 4 hours, but was the inspiration behind the theme. Base mesh was made in Lightwave and sculpted in ZBrush. Hopefully the guy will have the sword sampled within this next month. It's based in the Conan movies.

RollerJesus
08-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Hey CMT, I'm just getting into the digital sculpting world. I'm starting off with mostly just painting textures and such in 3d-Coat, but you're ZBrush work is top notch. You have any insight for a rookie into workflow, etc.

For example, did you rough out the skull portion of that sword in LW, or just start sculpting in ZBrush?

Me, I dunno, so I just use these....

Thanks!

CMT
08-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Hey RollerJesus, For the sword, everything except the skull was a base mesh modeled in Lightwave. ZBrush was used for detailing those parts. For the skull, I just used the Zsphere tool in Zbrush to make a sphere with 2 simple extruding horns. Then just worked from general form to specific detail. I usually use the move tool exclusively to shape the mass first before going in to do any actual sculpting.

colkai
08-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Very nice!
I do love a good sword and to have it battle ready would be awesome, you lucky blighter!

RollerJesus
08-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks CMT, I think if I can find the equivalent tools in 3d-Coat, I can get a grip on it.

Pamela G. Juust
08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1541/haamerho4.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4395/haamertraattc3.jpg
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5459/haamertraat2pr8.jpg

R.Feeney
08-29-2008, 09:13 AM
A bit of a simple one this time
Caltrops the land mine of their time.

Nangleator
08-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Ouch! Caltrops. Didn't think about those.

Good render.

Nangleator
08-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Very nice texturing, Pamela G. Juust!

wursti
08-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Modeling-time : ~55 min

There are some polygon errors on the metal-plate. Wasn't able to fix those within the 60 min limit. Didn't feel like texturing this one because modeling was kinda hectic. 8~

TripD
08-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh... btw.... I had to show mine even though I went WAY over the 1 hour mark.... sigh. I just didn't want to not show the effort.

TripD
08-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Just thought I'd share the reason for picking the medieval weapons theme.... I recently designed a sword for a metalsmith who was going to have this made into an actual battle ready art sword. It was a lot of fun making this sword, so I figured a challenge after this theme would be quite fun as well.

Here's the sword. It's not even remotely eligible for this challenge since it took well over 4 hours, but was the inspiration behind the theme. Base mesh was made in Lightwave and sculpted in ZBrush. Hopefully the guy will have the sword sampled within this next month. It's based in the Conan movies.

Okay.... I'm taking my ball and going home now! You don't play fair!! :bowdown:

shrox
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
A bit of a simple one this time
Caltrops the land mine of their time.

Very effective against horses.

RollerJesus
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Oh... btw.... I had to show mine even though I went WAY over the 1 hour mark.... sigh. I just didn't want to not show the effort.

Man, that is a sweet model regardless of how long it took. I didn't notice all the detail the first time I looked at it. Really great!

Pamela G Juust: I really like how you broke up the geometry on the face of the hammer, I wouldn't have thought about doing that before I saw your model.

Pamela G. Juust
08-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Pamela G Juust: I really like how you broke up the geometry on the face of the hammer, I wouldn't have thought about doing that before I saw your model.

i have no idea what you're talking about. where's the face of the hammer? the face you punch people with or the face you face your mother with after you drill your flail into the enemy skull with?

RollerJesus
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I guess the face you punch people with...

meshpig
08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Meshpig, attempting that in an hour? It looks like a very tweak intensive model. It's still a very good effort, at least you didn't go for a sword 8~

By the way, is it a helmut from medieval Prussia? :p

Oedo

Thanks. It's definitely northern European... yeah, too much tweaking involved.

m

geothefaust
08-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Great entry Pamela, I must agree, the texture work is top shelf. :)

meshpig
08-30-2008, 02:33 AM
OK, I'm hankering for a sword now. All straight lines and crisscross.

But no, another mini disaster. Though I'd like to muck around with the metal bump in PS for a bit longer, I think I'm weaponed out for the time being.

Next!~

Cheers.

m

Pamela G. Juust
08-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Great entry Pamela, I must agree, the texture work is top shelf. :)

thanks. though it's pretty generic procedurals.

meshpig
08-30-2008, 07:46 AM
But no, another mini disaster.

- Isn't "disaster" a great word if you ignore the burden of it's current usage?

Etymologically, it's derived from the OE "Astor" meaning Star; as in Bad star/ill fated... like the C17 nursery rhyme "twinkle twinkle little... how i wonder what you are" but aren't Stars just massive nuclear furnaces?

Well, there's a word which just hasn't kept up with the times and in the micro universe of the individual it means maybe just a "bad mood".

m

ArtGoblin
08-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Ahhh it's nice to join in on some speed challanges again.. double the fun since I started using LW again :D

So I did a sword, the basic shape and proportions of it come from some image I googled up, but from there on I just modelled after my own head.

I had the basics modeled out in about 35 minutes, and then I just used up the 25 minutes left for tweaking, adding edge weights and such.

I think I used about 2 and a half hour texturing and rendering. I decided this would be a good practice with the new nodes system and procedurals, so all of the textures are plain procedurals except offcourse the Lightwave Logo, wich is image-mapped. All post effects were done within LW, except some grain I added in PS, since I couln'd find out how to do it in LW.

Beuty Shot
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/7184/swordbeuty01webdz3.png

Occlusion Pass
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/1669/swordoccl01webmj5.png

Wires
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/3418/swordwirel01webtt9.png

Ohh, and if anyone wants to, I'm cool about giving this model away for free

PS: Awesome weapons I've seen modelled so far, hope mine manages to keep up with the quality here

:lwicon:

Iain
08-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Great work on this one so far!
Too many to mention individually but great, consistent quality level.

Love your wax seal avatar, Nangleator :) Very medieval!

R.Feeney
08-30-2008, 04:45 PM
About 45 min on this one.
I`m not too happy with the surfacing on this one but I have no more time to spend on it.
As Iain said great work by everyone.

TripD
08-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Many a war was won and lost with this particular weapon, and many a bold knight was layed to rest by the shear wrath that wielded it!

Hopper
08-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Many a war was won and lost with this particular weapon, and many a bold knight was layed to rest by the shear wrath that wielded it!
LOL!! All my imagination can come up with is a midieval wife in midieval curlers!

J|L
08-30-2008, 06:21 PM
hello
this is my try... old polish weapon get me 25-30 minutes for modeling and about 2h for scene setup\texturing + rendering, image was ps'toned up
cheers
:spam:

Nangleator
08-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Love your wax seal avatar, Nangleator :) Very medieval!
You may kiss His Excellency's ring.

Gritting my teeth that I haven't had time for this one. (Lots of work, a birthday and my wedding anniversary this week. Family reunion tomorrow and driving the stepkid to college on Monday. Maybe I'll have a couple hours to spare on Tuesday to play. I've got something no one else has tried.

Nangleator
08-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Nice, J|L!!

Looks like something Jackie Chan would be attacked by in a historical movie. Jackie Chan Joins the Musketeers!

IgnusFast
08-31-2008, 03:03 AM
Okay, here's my entry - second speed challenge ever! :)

This is a short sword (sometimes took the form of a long dagger) called a "Sword Breaker". It was used as an off-hand weapon that could be used both for offense, and if used correctly, also snap the sword of an opponent.

Be kind - I started with an outline and extruded, then tried to switch to sub-D, so the blade suffered a little. 35 minutes modeling, 4 hours (I *KNOW*!) to surface/stage. The wireframe is a LW native render that took about 5 minutes (lowered sub-D level to 1 to better show the polys), the actual render was 3 minutes in FPrime.

I have to admit - I was really scared of this challenge, but it turned out to be quite fun!!!

Here's the Exported scene/model as well. It includes some native Lightwave content (backdrop stones and HDRI) - not sure if that's a no-no or not.

Iain
08-31-2008, 05:13 AM
Cracking model Ignusfast!

Oedo 808
08-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Many more great examples of work coming out, this challenge thing has really taken off. I like things like the caltrops for adding some variety.

Nice edge on that blade IgnusFast.

CMT
08-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Yep, there's some fantastic entrees here! I think my fav so far would be the toy trebuchet just because I would have wanted one to play with. Great for pumpkin launching! :)

That last sword does rock though!

IgnusFast
08-31-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm amazed at the talent that these little challenges are attracting - everything so far has been amazing!

I'm just glad I don't have to judge stuff like this - I have to say, though, that the axe that CMT made is absolutely stunning! Great weapon AND presentation.

Oedo 808
08-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Not only that but he even said he wasn't 100% happy with it! :eek:

I can only wish for the day when I'm not going to be happy with something of that quality.

I've shown a few people my corkscrew, how many do you think saw my render, and how many do you think saw the render RollerJesus did? ;)

IgnusFast
08-31-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't feel too bad if my creations aren't up to snuff; some of these people are pros at this stuff. I'm just doing it for fun, so it's all good! As long as I'm having a good time and no one gets hurt, it's all good. :)

I hope no one felt slighted that I singled out CMTs work! These challenges have produced some remarkable objects and renders, and it's really neat to be part of it. I haven't seen a single one that I thought was crappy.

TripD
08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
I haven't seen a single one that I thought was crappy.

I'm working on a Crapapult as we speak!

IgnusFast
08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
LOL!!! Crap, you caught me just right, and I shot water out my nose. THANKS.

CoryC
08-31-2008, 10:52 PM
Here is my attempt - a siege ballista. I ran out of time otherwise I would have added more detail. I'll probably do a textured version next.

eDuso
09-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Here is my battleaxe, 55 mins of modeling, kinda slow :/

Kuzey
09-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Nice work everyone :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Stunt Pixels
09-01-2008, 05:26 AM
Yes, very nice work all round. Hey, can the next comp be on donuts, or eagles in barrels? I'll enter that one - already tried the Teapot...

cagey5
09-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Keeping it simple.

Modelling time: 15 - 20 mins.
Surfacing: too long, but it's a learning thing.#

Simon
09-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Here's my stab at this (no pun intended) including post DOF and wires. 50 mins modelling and a good few hours playing with textures. It would probably look a bit rubbish from another angle as it's only a planar texture on the blade but I'll post the scene when I get a moment.

Simon
09-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Okay, here's my entry - second speed challenge ever! :)

This is a short sword (sometimes took the form of a long dagger) called a "Sword Breaker". It was used as an off-hand weapon that could be used both for offense, and if used correctly, also snap the sword of an opponent.

Be kind - I started with an outline and extruded, then tried to switch to sub-D, so the blade suffered a little. 35 minutes modeling, 4 hours (I *KNOW*!) to surface/stage. The wireframe is a LW native render that took about 5 minutes (lowered sub-D level to 1 to better show the polys), the actual render was 3 minutes in FPrime.

I have to admit - I was really scared of this challenge, but it turned out to be quite fun!!!

Here's the Exported scene/model as well. It includes some native Lightwave content (backdrop stones and HDRI) - not sure if that's a no-no or not.

That's really good looking metal!!

geothefaust
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Everyone is doing European medieval stuff, so I figured I'd do some Asian stuff. Here is my first one... I hope to get another one in before deadline. I googled some ideas, and came up with a shuriken that I would like to model.

shuriken, 20 minutes.

Nangleator
09-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Yes, it's a cannon. Yes (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Medieval_cannon_in_Avignon.JPG), they had cannons back then.

Some embarrassing mistakes here, notably forgetting to mirror the wheels when I was done, which renders them Esheresque in appearance. I also forgot to do a good hub treatment, and didn't include the wedge thing by which the operator elevated the cannon. Oh, and the tail doesn't sit on the ground.

It took 59 minutes to model. I'd be embarrassed to share the model, but I will if asked.

I didn't spend too much time texturing or lighting.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/CannonBeauty.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/CannonWires.jpg

CoryC
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Here are some textured versions of the Ballista.

geothefaust
09-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Another quickie. These are bo-shuriken, or known more commonly in the west as a throwing dart, or spike.

bo-shuriken: 30 minutes. Sorry, no time to texture tonight. :(

flakester
09-02-2008, 02:30 AM
These challenges have produced some remarkable objects and renders, and it's really neat to be part of it. I haven't seen a single one that I thought was crappy.

:agree: Excellent standard of entries all round.
Just hope I get time to stick an entry in before the deadline....

flakester.

RollerJesus
09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
I was preparing for a move to Chicago all weekend and hadn't had a chance to check in on this one. Goodbye hurricanes!

Yep, there's some fantastic entrees here! I think my fav so far would be the toy trebuchet just because I would have wanted one to play with. Great for pumpkin launching!

Thanks for that CMT!

I've shown a few people my corkscrew, how many do you think saw my render, and how many do you think saw the render RollerJesus did?

Oedo, again that corkscrew is really nice model, just needed a little help in the presentation department.

This thread has some seriously great models/renders, can't wait for next weeks challenge.

wursti
09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
My attempt on a japanese katana.

modeling time ~40 min.
texturing ~ 2 hrs

Kuzey
09-02-2008, 04:13 PM
An Ottoman helmet :D

Boy, this was a strange session....I was fumbling all over the place and redoing things that I shouldn't be. Anyway, about 60 minutes on the clock.

Kuzey

TripD
09-02-2008, 06:20 PM
So.... for next week's contest...... How about using 'fictitious Olympic events' as the theme? :jam:

Hopper
09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
So.... for next week's contest...... How about using 'fictitious Olympic events' as the theme? :jam:
I'm hoping for a cartoon character one soon... All these photoreal renders and the great texturing you guys are doing make me want to hide.. :D

Nangleator
09-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Cartoon characters are a great idea. Way, way out of my comfort zone, and we should all be able to do something like that within an hour. Also, surfacing and rendering can be a very creative exercise!

IgnusFast
09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I TRIPLE-DOG-DARE ya! I've never done anything like that, so it should be CRAZY! Thank the GODs that texturing doesn't count, since that might be the majority of the budget!!

Maybe one of these days we should do one with no textures allowed, only procedurals? (ducking)

RollerJesus
09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
I TRIPLE-DOG-DARE ya! I've never done anything like that, so it should be CRAZY! Thank the GODs that texturing doesn't count, since that might be the majority of the budget!!

Maybe one of these days we should do one with no textures allowed, only procedurals? (ducking)

Well, I think this contest is modeling only, but just one of the informal nature. :thumbsup: Wires is what counts though!

I'd be way out of my element with a characterl, but I"m all in for giving it a shot.

MooseDog
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
late entry. full disclosure here, this took 62 minutes. but i figure at nearly 100% quads, i'll get some slack:D. maybe another hour plus for texturing and lighting.

geothefaust
09-03-2008, 01:25 AM
I love all the entries. Everyone is doing fantastic. :)

Moosedog, I like the design of your axe. Or is it a bardiche of sorts? (Sidenote: Check this out for an anime take on a bardiche! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph-byf8Edgk))

Nigel
09-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Hey there ... thought I'd give this challenge a bash, needed some practice, and I think these challenges are real good for that. Hope to participate in more of them, time permitting.

I found a dagger while googling medieval weapons, this one is called a Diamond Dagger, it had some sort of pattern on the blade, but the photo was too low res to make out what it was,something swirley was all I could make out ... so I did what i could, at 1am :)

Modeling time: 50 minutes
Lighting and texturing: 2 1/2 hours
Rendering: 25 minutes

Thanks
Nigel :)

Iain
09-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Nice dagger, Nigel.

Good to see you join in!

Nangleator
09-03-2008, 06:36 AM
Nigel, if that's procedural wood, it belongs on Preset Central!

Great dagger.

RollerJesus
09-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Nigel, that is a beautiful render! I agree with Nangleator...

Nigel
09-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Sadly its not a procedural, I did start out in that direction, but at 1am, image maps will always win that battle :)

cagey5
09-03-2008, 07:00 AM
..... it had some sort of pattern on the blade, but the photo was too low res to make out what it was,something swirley was all I could make out ...

It was probably made with 'Damascus steel'

http://www.jelldragon.com/ph_viking_sword_sh1010.htm

geothefaust
09-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Nigel, that's a great model, and I must say... The texturing is fantastic. What a great looking render. :thumbsup:

flakester
09-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I won't have time to get an entry in for this week - what with having to work, and eat... and.... stuff.

Though, I must say - the quality and variation of entries has had me hooked in my spare minutes for the last week.

Look forward to seeing who the winner is - and also if I can squirm some time for the next challenge. :thumbsup:

flakester.

geothefaust
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
So where's number 4? :D

Hopper
09-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I won't have time to get an entry in for this week - what with having to work, and eat... and.... stuff.

Though, I must say - the quality and variation of entries has had me hooked in my spare minutes for the last week.

Look forward to seeing who the winner is - and also if I can squirm some time for the next challenge. :thumbsup:

flakester.
:dito: I sure had fun with the first one. The second one was an eye-opening experience to SubD's, but alas... I couldn't get to this weeks. I'm looking forward to the next. This week's has been outstanding - and even more participation than ever. (hint: NewTek - get some more shirts).

Iain
09-04-2008, 03:35 AM
So where's number 4? :D

Well, no sign of voriax so I reckon it's between cartoon character and bridge.

I'll start 4 up later if voriax doesn't appear.

Matt
09-04-2008, 06:50 AM
These challenges should be made official, with a link on the front page, banner et all!

Some great stuff!

IgnusFast
09-04-2008, 06:56 AM
I'm all for the toon characters - building a bridge just doesn't sound very interesting. :)

Iain
09-04-2008, 07:16 AM
OK. No 4. Sorry it's a bit late............

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=744920#post744920

CMT
09-04-2008, 08:52 AM
OK. After looking over all the great entrees, I narrowed it down to my top 3 picks which were Iain's Knight's Dagger, CoryC's Ballista, and Nigel's Diamond Dagger.

CoryC just barely edged out the others by a very slight margin due to the detail that went into the modeling. But unfortunately no wireframe was posted. And to be fair, I had to judge the entrees along with the wireframes so I have to give it to Nigel. The quality of the blade modeling was accurate and absolutely flawless.

So the winner of Speed Modeling Challenge #3 is Nigel with his Diamond Dagger!

If you're around, Nigel, you get to pick the theme for and judge the Speed Modeling Challenge #5. Congrats!

Remember everyone to include wires with your entrees!

Iain
09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Fast work, CMT! That shows me up a bit :)

Well done Nigel! Cracking model.

CoryC
09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
But unfortunately no wireframe was posted. And to be fair, I had to judge the entrees along with the wireframes so I have to give it to Nigel.

At 3AM I noticed I forgot wires and I was passed the deadline so I assumed I was disqualified. The fun is in the doing anyhow.

Just to be proper, here is a wire view.

RollerJesus
09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Well done Nigel! A well deserved win, that dagger really blew me away, both the model and render.

Nigel
09-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys ... its really appreciated. Well done to all the other guys too, its great to see what can be done by others on a tight deadline, looking forward to the next one too. :)

R.Feeney
09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Well done Nigel, nice work

Oedo 808
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Congratulations Nigel, a very nice piece of work. :thumbsup:

Iain
09-05-2008, 02:24 AM
At 3AM I noticed I forgot wires and I was passed the deadline so I assumed I was disqualified. The fun is in the doing anyhow.

Just to be proper, here is a wire view.

That is a great model, Cory. Love the textured version too. :thumbsup:

WhereMyArm
09-05-2008, 05:55 AM
Me, I dunno, so I just use these.... :)

You just rocked my world. This script is awesome, thanks for posting it! :)

mav3rick
09-07-2008, 03:52 AM

very hoTT