PDA

View Full Version : lightwave 9.5 and ati 4870

stefan
08-28-2008, 01:32 AM
hi i wanna buy this new gfx card. now my question does any use it?
run lw smooth with this card?

thx for answer

IMI
08-28-2008, 02:13 AM
I've been wondering the same thing, but it seems most people use Nvidia GPU's for LW. At least, I don't notice many people talking about ATI GPU's regarding LW or other 3D apps.
I have seen alot of threads in the past of people complaining about ATI drivers and 3D apps though.
I think the 4870 (as well as all ATI cards) is designed mostly for gaming, where the Nvidia GPU is more well-rounded, but I could be wrong. It depends on how good the drivers are, really, and ATI has been typically slow with releasing good drivers, from what I've read.

Mitja
08-28-2008, 02:24 AM
All complain about ATI, and I wonder why...
I have two ATI cards, and both work well, or better, no problems at all.

IMI
08-28-2008, 03:07 AM
All complain about ATI, and I wonder why...
I have two ATI cards, and both work well, or better, no problems at all.

I wasn't complaining about ATI, just commenting on what I've seen and read. :)

Yeah, lots of 3D app people have complained about ATI drivers, and I've seen nowhere near that amount regarding nvidia GPU's and drivers - except for the 64 bit versions at first, but that's been ironed out pretty well by now.

I've seen loads of highly positive ATI reviews regarding ATI and gaming, just not too many regarding ATI and OGL and DX for 3D apps. Always it's the drivers being blamed, rarely the actual hardware, and I've found some claiming hacked or custom drivers have done better.
Leads me to believe ATI isn't as concerned with the 3D app market and prefers to concentrate on the gaming market.

Mitja
08-28-2008, 03:37 AM
I wasn't complaining about ATI, just commenting on what I've seen and read. :)

I didn't mean you were complaining, it was an impersonal "...all..." :thumbsup:
I guess that people complain about something when something goes wrong:
let's say 100.000 people have ati cards, and 10 are "buggy", you'll see 10 negative comments and 0 positive.

Andrew March
08-28-2008, 06:02 AM
I've had three ATI cards in the past, all of which had varying OpenGL issues and one which literally cooked itself onto the MOBO, I've also had three Nvidia cards none of which have had any issues at all.

dpotuznik
08-28-2008, 05:52 PM
hi, (sorry for my english)

i have 2 Ati
- Fire GL 3600
- FX 1800

and i have the same problem on my 2 computer , the ati driver is very very unstable .. on lightwave 9.5 on a hudge scene 3000 0000 poly i'ts crash "exception on a atioglx2.dll" 3 - 5 time every hour .. grrrrrrrrr :(

i buy yesterday a NVIDIA Quadro F4600 :) wait and see.. nvidia seem better for lightwave.

oobievision
08-29-2008, 01:22 AM
I have the HD 4850 wich is a small step down from the card your looking at. So far everything is extremely Impressive as too using it with lightwave. I highly recomend it for as AMD system.

oobievision
08-29-2008, 01:39 AM
hi, (sorry for my english)

i have 2 Ati
- Fire GL 3600
- FX 1800

and i have the same problem on my 2 computer , the ati driver is very very unstable .. on lightwave 9.5 on a hudge scene 3000 0000 poly i'ts crash "exception on a atioglx2.dll" 3 - 5 time every hour .. grrrrrrrrr :(

i buy yesterday a NVIDIA Quadro F4600 :) wait and see.. nvidia seem better for lightwave.

ahhh I wouldnt run either of those cards in any of my boxes, I used to run lightwave on an ATI 1650 pro 512mb with HIS IceQ cooling.

the thing about ATI cards is that they run hot! and many dont seem to understand that these cards require huge amounts of cooling. especially if you run the newer cards with its built in overclock program. the HD 4850 is a great card and IS Native HD. as far as Nvidia I havent seen an HD card from them yet. yeah they may come with DVI to HDMI converters but still its not HD.

If your looking for HD go with ATI if you just want something that can run Lightwave no prob u can choose either the 8800 GTX (overclocked version, has higher framerates than the ATI 4850 not sure about the 4870)
or an ATI HD 4850,4870 or the new 4870 dual GPU ( takes up 2 PCI slots, much like the EVGA 9800 wich is the only card ive seen with HDMI on the card instead of DVI, there could be others out there im not sure).

So really when it comes down too it. what do you prefer. With any video card make sure your monitor can handle the refresh rate and the desired screen resolution.

Joker II
08-29-2008, 03:32 AM
ATI 4870 in combination with 9.5 and Vista are working smoothly here :thumbsup:

mis
08-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Hey Andrew

"one which literally cooked itself onto the MOBO"

That sounds wicked , what happened

mis

novawave
08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
hai Mr.Stefan..

currently am using 4870 from HIS, no problem at all on lightwave(yesterday i made some city animation, i manage to get about 1.579.944 polys on lay out without crashing with bone and some endomorph ,.but it animate slow yeah..)
am running on XP 32 Q66000 4Gigs RAM btw,..

as in my opinion,..both of Nvidia and ATi have a good products this time,. on very nice price range too,..
but it true that ATi card that i own is hot, but then again, on second badge production like this time,..the partner always modify the reference cards to get better just like XFX GEforce XXX edition or Sapphire Radeon Toxic edition...
.so if you want to buy cool ATi 4800 series be patient a bit, but if you dont,.. why should wait,..a superbly cool and reliable GF 9800+ waiting for you on less than 200$ (http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-9800-GTX+-card-571.html)

.. as if you're on professional class,..why not come to Quadro series or FireGl , they made for professional graphics and obviously better for pro application than a customer type graphic cards series..

manholoz
08-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm using an HD4850, with an nVidia-based motherboard, and have no problems at all with it in Lightwave.

Hopper
08-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I love my nVidia systems, mobo, video, etc... but I have to mention it... all the newer 9800's and even the GTX series are EXTREMELY hot. Right now at idle, my card runs 68c at an 80% fan speed. If I jack up ALL the fans in my box and crank the card's fan to 100% I can get it down to 59-60, but who wants to listen to that racket. With 8 fans in the system - sounds like a freaking jet airplane.. no thanks.

I would have upgraded to the GTX 280HC, but I'm hearing horrible things about it.

doimus
08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Also on ATI here, just upgraded to HD4850 a week ago, mainly to play Assassin's Creed:D. I just felt the urge to play some games again, and Ati just had better value for money. First ATI card since... erm, 1999 and Rage Pro.

I gambled on the driver issues, but no problems yet... running on Vista 64bit.

But this card does run HOT! A bit unhealthy hot, it seems to me...

IMI
08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey you guys do know you can get 3rd party hsf's for your video cards, right?
I bought This One Here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186026) from NewEgg for my 8800 GTS, and it brought the temps down quite a bit.

Manufacturers make all different kinds, for all different brands, and the ATI 4000+ series has some too.

I'm not trying to be a smart*** here either. Call me behind the times, but I honestly didn't know they made such things until recently, and only found out by accident while browsing around.

rombust2
09-02-2008, 03:38 AM
The current ATI drivers (catalyst 8.8) still has problems with OpenGL.

It seems ATI are concentrating on DirectX more than OpenGL.

Using ATI framebuffer objects (FBO's) are giving myself problems (for example, the Y orientation is reversed)

Hopefully ATI will soon fix the drivers.

ANS
09-02-2008, 05:26 AM
hi i wanna buy this new gfx card. now my question does any use it?
run lw smooth with this card?

thx for answer

I use Radeon 4870 - and don't have any problems with Lightwave ( Under XP 32 bit and Vista Ultimate 64 bit ).
Other apps also work fine- especially games :)

STEEL TOE MEDIA
09-09-2008, 02:48 AM
am running on XP 32 Q66000 4Gigs RAM btw,....

just out of curiosity, why are you running 4 gigs of ram? xp 32 only recognizes 2 gigs, and vista 32 3 gigs......if you have a way around this i would sure like to here it......

STEEL TOE MEDIA
09-09-2008, 02:54 AM
The current ATI drivers (catalyst 8.8) still has problems with OpenGL.

It seems ATI are concentrating on DirectX more than OpenGL.

that's because opengl is dying. directx is the new ****. as an independent game dev, i find the same issue with engines....those that are opengl based are limited.....the dirextx ones allow for much more of.....well, everything. i love lw, but open gl in anyform is old hat and needs to be left behind in any future versions.........

doimus
09-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Actually XP recognizes just over 3 gigs, and Vista 32bit can use 4 gigabytes. And the only way to make XP use those 3 and some GB is to stick 4GB in. Simple math.
But, 32bits suck anyway you look at it.:D Just last night I had a 8192x8192px renderfest in LW while simultaneously working on huge multilayered PSD file in Photoshop. In 64bit OS ofcourse - RAM usage extravaganza!

doimus
09-09-2008, 03:05 AM
that's because opengl is dying. directx is the new ****.

That may be true for Windows and Xbox360 games and to some extent 3d modelling software under Windows. Everywhere else you got NOTHING BUT OpenGL. That includes Linux, MacOSX, PS3, Wii, handhelds, mobile phones, refridgerators, etc.

STEEL TOE MEDIA
09-09-2008, 03:15 AM
vista 32 bit does not use more than 3 gig. i have 4 gigs of ddr2 in mine right now, and as you can see by the picture below it don't see it. although my meter says it is using 3069 mb....still not 4. and xp never uses more than 2, and never has......where are you getting your info from?

STEEL TOE MEDIA
09-09-2008, 03:16 AM
and you play a lot of games on those other apps do you?
didn't think so.......

STEEL TOE MEDIA
09-09-2008, 03:18 AM
and i agree about 32 sucking by the way.......64 bit is the the way to go......just like directx or xna......let go of the past man......

doimus
09-09-2008, 03:33 AM
vista 32 bit does not use more than 3 gig. i have 4 gigs of ddr2 in mine right now, and as you can see by the picture below it don't see it. although my meter says it is using 3069 mb....still not 4. and xp never uses more than 2, and never has......where are you getting your info from?

From the darkest halls of Mordor (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa366778.aspx)!
And there's an explanation here (http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-maximum-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/) too.

and you play a lot of games on those other apps do you?
didn't think so.......

Where? On PS3, Wii, PSP or Nintendo DS? They all use OpenGL of one sort or another.

STEEL TOE MEDIA
09-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Exactly, it depends on your hardware, and most mobos don't support PAE.

For now...but that doesn't mean it aint dying (actually it's dead already, but those who love it refuse to pull the plug and let it go off to the great mainframe in the sky).
Games like crysis are the bells tolling for opengl. And before you go off on some rant about low crysis sales, that is irrelevent.
Just because a game is ahead of it's time doesn't mean it's technology won't come and come soon. The problem was dx 10 was not up to snuff when they released and the blame falls on the shoulders of the makers of said game.
Not to mention there are better coming around the pike, led by innovative and creative individuals who believe stagnant technology is the bane of creativity.....(I happen to subscribe to this opinion. if you aren't looking forward, why bother looking at all?)

wii, psp, and nintendo ds are gadgets not gaming machines (and trendy useless junk at that).
It's like comparing cellphone cameras to hd digital videocameras.
PS3?
Are those things even relevent anymore? I don't know anyone who has one. Everybody I know has an xbox 360.
But then again, I live in 2010-12, not 2005-7....

STEEL TOE MEDIA
09-09-2008, 04:43 AM
and really, who gives a flying frack about linux? or osx for that matter...nobody is making games for those platforms, noone ever will, because in the first one, there is no consumer use, and mac is, well, not as good as everyone makes it out to be, it costs to much for what it does, etc, ad nauseum.......and since we are talking about the uses for such things as directx and opengl, those are really big points.....

novawave
09-09-2008, 06:23 AM
just out of curiosity, why are you running 4 gigs of ram? xp 32 only recognizes 2 gigs, and vista 32 3 gigs......if you have a way around this i would sure like to here it......

well. obviously my last 2 Gigs ram are waste for my currently 32 bit XP,
but then again, I invest banks for more rams at this time, for my later upgrade in 64 bit OS in the future.

the problem is ,..i still dont have any interest to upgrade to "newer" OS at this moment (lol dont ask me why) perhaps if WIndows 7 came up,. since for me, My PC just reliable enough to doing almost all of my computing task including Lightwave and Crysis,
but yes, my 32 bit XP only able to reach 2 million+ polys at time before run out of memory depend on scene complexity.,,and i just happy enough with my hacked DX9 display on my CRysis lol

oh and btw talking about crysis, having more than 2 gigs of ram and Quad proc really help my PC to smoothing the framerates lol..

manholoz
09-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Not to fan the flames, but 3d is more than just games, where OpenGL makes more sense than DirectX does.
Anyway, this is supposed to be a thread about the HD4870 card...