PDA

View Full Version : UV-mapping with PLG

adrian
08-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi,

I'm trying out the PLG plugin as I want to UV map a head model but this is what I end up with:

http://www.bakersvideo.com/UVscreenshot.jpg

I keep hearing good things about this plugin but I am totally not understanding how this can help me :cursin:

I know it's free so I shouldn't complain, I guess I'm just totally frustrated about UV mapping in general and how there seem to be limitations with every option available.

The worst thing is I have reached the stage now where I model something but then I just give up and move onto something else because I can't be bothered trying to figure out how to texture it properly - except I love the texture creation process, it's the applying it within LW that is so *!£%^

adamredwoods
08-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I used to be in the same boat. I don't waste much time with UV Unwrapping, it's archaic. I strongly feel this will be a skill of the past once modern 3D tools catch up.
I started to look for 3D painting packages, and I think 3D-Coat has the best options and price.

Now, aside from my pointless preaching--
looks like you need to assign seams very strategically. I would slice it down the middle , vertically, facing the left side.

You could ALMOST use the built-in LW tool to unwrap, then use the relax plugin.

Giacomo99
08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
You don't need to map the entire head as a single UV surface--if it were me, I'd only UV-map the areas that were going to be heavily deformed. If the object's not deforming, you might even be able to get good results with planar maps. It's not always necessary to use UV maps.

Contra adamredwoods, I find that when I do need UVs I almost always need to work on a flat, unwrapped version of the map. For such things as seams and patterns on clothing it seems highly necessary, although I'm not sure how well 3DCoat can handle such tasks.

gerry_g
08-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I didn't think much of it's UV tool looked very labored by comparison with Modo but nice tool in general, as to you UV attempt above, I think unwrapping it in one piece is a no no, those two items one on each side of the head would be better treated as separate items and the head as a third, Just because these things are billed as 'automatic unwrap tools' doesn't mean they are, don't be fooled still takes brains skill and practice.

pixelranger
08-27-2008, 04:15 PM
give the ridged part a different surface, as well as the remainding back of the head and press "make UV".
Now you end up with 4 UV shells. The face, the back of the head and the left and right ridged pieces.
All 4 pieces are nicely unwrapped and there will not be any signifigant polygon area distortion.
And they shoul be fairly recognizable in terms of texture painting.

UV unwrapping rulez!!!1

adrian
08-28-2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks guys... maybe I'm misunderstanding this whole UV mapping thing. I thought that if I created separate UV maps (by separating by surface) I will end up with seams, so I was thinking "what's the point?"

I have just downloaded the latest version of 3D Coat so will give that a go - I also think I need to follow some UV mapping tutorials.

For simple objects (ie objects that are on 1 axis) I find UV mapping a dream because it gives me so much control but for organic stuff it's a nightmare and I get frustrated because it seems like I'm fighting against the software rather than being able to focus on the creation process.

However that could be down to my ignorance of how to do it. Talking of separating objects, I've tried using Atlas mapping as well - don't even get me started on what I think of that! :2guns:

Dodgy
08-28-2008, 03:28 AM
What you have to do is imagine trying to flatten the shape you have as if you were going to cut it out of pieces of cloth. Obviously with a shape like that, it would lead to massive distortion.

Now I would make seams all the way around the ridged parts as suggested. I would then mark seams from the bottom of the ridged parts down the sides of the neck. When you hit Make UV that should end up a lot less distorted than what you have and even if you paint the texture in PS, the seams will barely be noticeable.

adrian
09-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Many, many, many, many thanks for the tips - I figured out how to use PLG.

I split the model into 5 parts, assigning each its' own planar UV map (as a subpatch, I found linear gave some distortion) - then I gave it the "plg" treatment and voila! Total control over my textures! Fantastic :D :D :D :D

clagman
09-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Don't forget you can always use weight maps to blend the UV maps together. Really hides the seams well.