PDA

View Full Version : SoftFX: cant alloc memory

SaturnX
08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
SoftFX: cant alloc memory

SaturnX
08-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Ok, Ive been getting this error message alot lately with Softfx...

SoftFX: cant alloc memory

... it then goes on to say:

PFX for LW9 no dynamics

Is this an error on my part, or is something wrong with softfx in layout?
Ive tried this in both LW9.3.1 and LW95 (32bit), and im getting the same results.
It's frustrating becasue for all the things softfx is capable of, its quirkyness gets the better of it, and you end up pulling your hair out.

Any suggestions? :)

Ive tried to load the same scene im working on in LW95 64bit... and i get the same error message, but then it calculates anyway.

Just on a side note, is it possible to calculate dynamics using custom frame number settings, instead of always calulating from 0, or wherever the timeline starts.

Oh... and sorry for the first post, that was a happy accident :P

Dodgy
08-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Can't say I've had this problem. The softFX error may lead to the other error, if only the softfx is in the scene. This is because when it throws up the error, LW thinks there are no dynamics to calculate.

As to the SoftFX problem, how many points are you running soft FX on? Do you have the Subd set to before displacement or after? Before means softFX will get applied after subdivision, which could end up with too many points for the memory you have? If that's the case you might want to try setting it to after.

SaturnX
08-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Can't say I've had this problem. The softFX error may lead to the other error, if only the softfx is in the scene. This is because when it throws up the error, LW thinks there are no dynamics to calculate.

As to the SoftFX problem, how many points are you running soft FX on? Do you have the Subd set to before displacement or after? Before means softFX will get applied after subdivision, which could end up with too many points for the memory you have? If that's the case you might want to try setting it to after.

Hi Dodgey
As to how many points im running SoftFX on, the character mesh is around 41428 points on display SubD 2 (after bones), and it has a zbrush UV displacement applied. (hence the after bones option)

The displacement is essential, becasue it emphasizes all the rolls of fat, belly and breast areas on this character etc... and these are the parts im working on, or trying to via SoftFX.

Ive had some really cool results when SoftFX works though.
My impression is SoftFX doesnt like complicated characters, rigged and displaced. And even though i have locked off areas in the geometry i want to follow through, via SoftFX using operator maps... Softfx sort of ignores that to a degree still treating the mesh as a whole, you can see it happen when the mesh is applied to a rig and bones, the mesh then gets out of alignment with the rest of the skeleton and can become slightly delayed timing wise, despite the operator maps applied. And this seems to multiply depending how many layers of SoftFX you add.

I have to add btw, that the same scene works much better in LW95 64bit, and in a machine that has 6gigs. the SoftFX: cant alloc memory error message comes up alot less frequent.
When Softfx works like it should do, it really does a great job.

Dodgy
08-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I figured that might be the case. What you might want to do is use a lower rez mesh for animating and simulating on, and then use softFX on that. Parent your high rez mesh to it, and apply the deformation plugin Metalink or metalink morph to the high rez. This should speed up calculation times, as well as reduce memory used. You probably don't need that level of detail for wobbling fat.

Dodgy
08-28-2008, 05:52 PM
As for it seeming to lag, does it do this once you've completed the calculation? Because of the way LW works, during the calculation, the dynamics object lags one frame behind, but when finished, an normal playback, it should be in sync.