PDA

View Full Version : Copying keys?

Sarford
08-27-2008, 06:01 AM
I have this animation of a dart being thrown into a dart board (along the Z-axis). It has a nice curve and looks good. But now I wanted some rotation along the length of the dart (which is the Y-axis, the dart was rotated -90 on the X-axis). Strangly enough it then rotates all over the place, even though the coord system is in Local!

Then I thought, maybe I should parent the dart to a null, have the null make the arc and have the dart just rotate along its Y-axis. I already have the nice arc I wanted so I thought I just copy the keys from the dart to the null and presto. But I can't seem to do it, how do you copy keys from one object to another?

cagey5
08-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Open dope track, Hilight all keys, right click, copy.
Change object, dope track, right click paste

Or whatever the equivalent is on Mac.. :)

SplineGod
08-27-2008, 06:52 AM
this happens because rotations are still based on parent mode. If you rortate in local or world mode youll still notice that when you rotate one channel that several channels are actually being updated.
While your keys appear to be ok the inbetweens can get messed up.
What you might try is applying quaternian booster to your object while in local or world mode.

Sarford
08-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks Cagey5, that was it!

Thanks for the reply Larry, where can I find this booster? And does this booster respect the coord sytem settings?

SplineGod
08-27-2008, 09:57 AM
quaternian booster applies quaternian based rotations to an item as opposed to eular coords. Its bulit into LW. Select your item, hit m and apply it from the motion options list. :)

Sarford
08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey, I'll take a look at that! Can we, by any chance, also use it in skinning?