PDA

View Full Version : neat stuff coming....

jin choung
07-30-2003, 11:56 PM
howdy fellows,

although modeler is the most relevant to me at work (i have to export from maya for anim and stuff), the new layout stuff is nonetheless very exciting!

RAGDOLLS - looks like we're gonna be able to do them! the kind of dynamics that is being touted by HAVOK and its many game licensees should be possible in lw now!

if forces (like wind, gravity, etc) can be applied to entire skeletons and that skeleton can react to collsion objects.... wowow.

DYNAMICS IN GENERAL - nice to see that we're gonna have a full range of options when it comes to soft/hardbody stuff now. i've always seen this as a peripheral (non core) issue but it's an excellent addition and big, legitimate bullet point that can be marketed.

SPOOKY IKFK THINGAMABOB - holy cow.... i don't even have an inkling how they do this and how i'm supposed to keyframe the motherf*#$% but it's much more advanced in scope than anything i've worked with so far in maya. hopefully, it won't have a lot of caveats and special case errors and will be applicable on an inuitive and universal basis.

SKELETON SETUP IN LAYOUT - sounds good. hopefully it will have as many robust controls as it looks like it will. heck, i'd give anything never to see and think "what the...." about the bank handles again. for far too long, setting up a skeleton in lw has been a needlessly involved task... looks like we're getting the make over we needed.

VERTEX ANIMATION IN LAYOUT (?) - this is actually an argument for integration since something like this is a special case re-implementation of functions that exist separately in modeler. and unless we integrate in the future, i can imagine a worst case scenario where in order to compete with the featuresets of other apps, we start to wholesale create layout versions of modeler features and viceversa in order to do that. but nonetheless, something like this that will allow for SMART SKINNING will be a welcome blessing to animators everywhere. hopefully, there will be a rather faithful implementation of SET DRIVEN KEYS as well so that any begin-end value can be mapped to any other begin-end range.

good stuff newtek! very exciting.

good move on the dfx+ link up/deal as well. a compositing partnership makes much more sense to me than aura ever did and i argued for as much before.

too bad that i already purchased AE STANDARD and AURA 2 to deal with my comping needs!!! when i was arguing for such a compositing partnership is when i needed this.... if i didn't take the plunge on those apps, i would've already put in my order! argh... but now i'll have to wait.

(lay person's market analysis - another reason it's not an ideal time for selling software is because many of us will be upgrading our computers at home this year.... computing equipment is indeed in constant flux but this year seems to be a breaking point - springdale/canterwood represent really fast, mature and stable technology while the upcoming athlon64s will be a clarion call for early adopters. also, the fact that half life2, halo and doom3 are coming soon will really spur hardware sales. in my case, i'll have to hold off a lil on lw8 as i finance my upgrade into that promised land of greater than 1ghz....)

anyhoo, good stuff.

jin

erikals
07-31-2003, 02:23 AM
Sorry for being not up to date here, but is this "if forces" a new feature in LightWave 8. Please say it is, PLEASE. That'd be supercool !!! :cool:

jin choung
07-31-2003, 02:41 AM
well,

for sure i read that they have WIND.... it would be too obvious for them to have forgotten gravity.

but the thing that it really needs to do ragdolls that i neglected to mention is that the dynamics calculations would have to take into account JOINT ROTATION LIMITS and JOINT STIFFNESS. these attributes would actually, finally be useful for something!

well we shall see. we shall see.

jin

p.s. actually, if they do have this, this is definitely something that they should be putting as a marketing bullet point. 'rag doll physics' gets a lot of hoopla these days.

and for a demo, they should drop a bunch of digital stuntman off of the stern of sinking titanic and kill them with insult and injury by bouncing every single one of them off the gigantic propeller before they perish in the freezing water!

erikals
07-31-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by jin choung
and for a demo, they should drop a bunch of digital stuntman off of the stern of sinking titanic and kill them with insult and injury by bouncing every single one of them off the gigantic propeller before they perish in the freezing water!

:D Yeah, that'd bee cool! Maybe a litle evil, but cool. Too bad LW8 isn't out yet so we could try it :(