PDA

View Full Version : moving an object parallel to another object

byronpetch
08-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi,

I have created a model of a building. From the top the building is rotated by about 13 degrees. I am wondering if there is a way of moving selected windows and doors along the surface of the walls without having to rotate the building minus 13 degrees then moving a window by dragging it in one of the normal view ports then rotating the building back to 13 degrees.

Im looking for a tool that would be called something like "translate parallel to surface" or "move perpendicular to normals"

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks

Matt

CC Rider
08-26-2008, 10:29 AM
I believe "Translate Plus" will do what you want...I believe it will allow you to move an object along a heading that is created by selecting 2 points on either end of a line. When you launch the tool, hit the n key to bring up the numeric pad and check out the options. I think the one you are looking for may be buried in one of the drop down menus...

CC Rider
08-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Yep, just tested it...
Translate plus will work.
For "Operation" choose "Translate"
For "Axis" choose "Segment"

after that, all the available points will be highlighted ready to choose the 2 that make up the preferred axis. After choosing the two points, the movement will be constrained along the defined axis.

Pretty sure both objects need to be on same layer for this to work.

:D

byronpetch
08-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Many thanks for such a quick reply. I did wonder about that one but couldn't get it to work. Can (almost) get it to work now.

Many thanks

Matt

CC Rider
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Good deal!
Its a pretty handy little tool and kinda fun to play around with...lots of options.