PDA

View Full Version : LightWave only for Low res??

Sarford
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi, I've this very simple scene. Only two objects, 74000 polygons.
I have 3Gb memory in my machine and no other programs running.
When I want to render a picture at 3000x3000 pixels I get a out of memory warning.
When I render at 2000x2000 pixels, LightWave crashes at the end (without writing the file ofcourse).
Segment memory limit has been low, it has been high, it all doesn't matter.

Is it normal for LightWave to be able only to render low res?

I do have virtual renderer, but it doesn't render alpha channels of objects with alpha value set to 0 (in the advance tab) and it also DOES render objects which are set to 'unseen by camera' in the render tab.
And it doesn't render image filters, so I can't use the PSD exporter to get seperate passes.

ps: I'm using LW 9.5

G.o.D
08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi, I've this very simple scene. Only two objects, 74000 polygons.
I have 3Gb memory in my machine and no other programs running.
When I want to render a picture at 3000x3000 pixels I get a out of memory warning.
When I render at 2000x2000 pixels, LightWave crashes at the end (without writing the file ofcourse).
Segment memory limit has been low, it has been high, it all doesn't matter.

just tried to render a scene with 250000 polygons, all on screen, 3000x3000 on lightwave 9.5. worked fine. tried on win xp, it just used about 60 meg or so on rendering.

can you give more detail? camera type? are you using large bitmap textures? have you checked how much ram lightwave is really taking, through system tools?

Sarford
08-25-2008, 11:15 PM
hehe, you too rendering late at night (or should I say morning)?

No textures at all in this scene. I use the orthographic camera, maybe thats the problem?
Anyhow, my render is nearly finished, a quick comp, sling it on the FTP and then to bed.
I'll have a look this afternoon.

Thanks

mike_stening
08-26-2008, 02:55 AM
if you want to render high res for print and you are running out of memory then try doing limited region renders, works for me and gets rid of those out of memory messages, just done a 5000x4500 render this way works a treat :thumbsup:

Sensei
08-27-2008, 07:21 AM
I do have virtual renderer, but it doesn't render alpha channels of objects with alpha value set to 0 (in the advance tab) and it also DOES render objects which are set to 'unseen by camera' in the render tab.

Use Unseen By Rays instead.. That's not my fault but LWSDK doesn't allow informing that we want rays from camera..

If you're using VirtualRender together with Kray, absolute make sure that you have saved scene after playing with ANY option anywhere.. Kray analyzes ONLY LWS on disk.. KrayOptions or KrayFrame save LWS by itself to temporary place and there analyze, which is transparent to user, but with VR it can't save it (it's too late for using such hi level function as SaveSceneCopy after getting F9/F10/Render Frame).

And it doesn't render image filters, so I can't use the PSD exporter to get seperate passes.

Neither FPrime, Kray or VirtualRender can use image filters- they're not exposed in the LWSDK.. These additional buffers exist only in internal LW render, none 3rd party use them, it would be just waste of memory.. See FPrime files on disk- they're RGB in floating point format, the same with VirtualRender..

Sarford
08-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Use Unseen By Rays instead.. That's not my fault but LWSDK doesn't allow informing that we want rays from camera..

Hi Sensei, that wasn't meant as a hit on Virtual Renderer. I was trying to get a shadow pass and because the 'unseen by camera' and the image filters didn't work, I was unable to get a highres shadow pass. Deadline was looming so I didn't have too much time to experiment.

Anyhow, I hope NewTek keep working on opening up the SDK, you plug-in guys can do some quite amazing things with it.

And thanks on the information on Kray, I didn't know about the temporary save, good to know! :thumbsup:

SAHiN
10-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Lets face it ! Lightwave has some serious issues with memory management.
I've been using LW since 1994. and it seems to me as the time passed it has become
more of a hobby toy than a professional package. (which hursts me a lot)

Since not everyone is lucky enough to do effects for Star Trek series, I have to make my living with architectural visualisations. You try to create a hotel with a lake and some trees at its back yard...?
Try to throw in 10 proper tree models in LW and watch how it fails to render with 2 gb of ram.

its like a joke. I spent 3 weeks doing the work now I cant get a render out of it.
They have all those layers in modeler. yet try to see 30 layers at the same time and see it crash instantly !

..and I am rendering 720x432 to save memory :) thats like a thumbnail size.
funny enough with 15 trees in scene it wont even render limited region.

I watch max users create and render scenes 10 times more complicated than mine without a blink..and my quality of work is limited to Lightwaves memory issues.

I think its time to downlad some MAX tutorials and switch.

shrox
10-06-2008, 12:35 PM
...I think its time to downlad some MAX tutorials and switch.

At least choose Maya over Max!

manholoz
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Or make procedural trees in houdini:devil:

archijam
10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I think its time to downlad some MAX tutorials and switch.

What the other guy said. MAX will not solve your 10 high poly tree problem (xfrog for example) - I ended up doing an 'impossible' job with LW and HD instance that the previous guy couldn't handle in MAX .. xfrog trees are beautiful but deadly ;)

SAHiN
10-06-2008, 04:05 PM
I am not using xfrog trees. And I dont want Maya either.
For years I've been using lightwave. I just wanna be able to render what I create in lightwave without having to buy or keep learning new plug ins.

I recently paid $300 to LW CAD v3 only to find out if I create shingles for a REAL project
I cant even get them moving let alone render them.

All those sales videos they make really make it look all so easy huh?
Now I have to buy HD INSTANCE too..? Whats next ?

When Igot this project, I contracted full ground floor of the hotel to a guy in france who uses max.
The part I contracted is about 80% of the job. He modelled, lit, and got test renders
of it all in 4 days...he uses max..and here I am trying to get lightwave's *** off the floor for almost 2 weeks.
Man I love lightwave..and it really hurts to change a program I love so much.
Till now I always regarded Lightwave as my bible.. "In LW we trust" is what is written on the wall behind me ! Cmon guys no matter what LW should be able to render 10 god damned trees in a scene. there is no execuse for that..

BTW Fprime does render it :) but since LW render engine doesnt shae some of the info with Fprime, other things wont render with fprime.

Talk about rock and a hard place.

lardbros
10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
What the other guy said. MAX will not solve your 10 high poly tree problem (xfrog for example) - I ended up doing an 'impossible' job with LW and HD instance that the previous guy couldn't handle in MAX .. xfrog trees are beautiful but deadly ;)

I completely agree... max won't solve your problem. Mental Ray crashes on my system at work which is a BOXX dual-quad-core with 16gb of ram. A scene i had, wasn't too heavy in the polys, but crashes if i render it above 2500 pixels wide. If only i had LW to fall back on at work!

Exception
10-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Just cut your scene with limited region into vertical slots (horizontal won't help).

75k polys and 3000x3000 crashing means something els eis wrong. Maybe your memory is broken? Windows will work fine, but Lw will fail.. Try running memtest86.