PDA

View Full Version : 3d letters using backdrop..subpatch/bevel issues! Newbie help

Algae998
08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Its been far too long since I used LW...and because of that I cant remember squat! haha. Big shoutout to Threel, he helped me out on something similar to this a looong time ago but I cant seem to get the subpatched faces to match my backdrop image. (I dont know how to manipulate it)

Heres my run through..
-I made a logo in photoshop, just black and white
-I set that image as the backdrop in my Front screen in Modeler
-I did a very basic point outline and converted that to a polygon
-I beveled the letter with the numeric option and deleted the inside poly
-After that I selected 4 points at a time (in the right order) and made quads throughout the letter
-I subpatched my letter and I need to get it to line up with my backdrop letter...

If I try to use the knife tool (Shift-K in LW 9.0) it destroys the subpatch flow (see attached image).
Ive tried using the Drag tool to move parts around, but, as you probably know it only moves individual points...so how do I do this without messing up the uniform and consistent edge bevel all the way around the letter?

Is there another way to do this? This is probably an easy task, but please forgive my Newbie questions :D

THREEL
08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Its been far too long since I used LW...and because of that I cant remember squat! haha. Big shoutout to Threel, he helped me out on something similar to this a looong time ago but I cant seem to get the subpatched faces to match my backdrop image. (I dont know how to manipulate it)

Hey Aaron! Whutz up!? Thanks for the mention. I'm glad I was able to help. Can we see more of what you're looking at creating? Personally, I would like to know how sharp you want to make your corners and that type of thing.

Also, I've learned more since then, like you don't have to delete that inner polygon. All you have to do is have it hi-lighted in polygon mode, then switch to point mode, pick 2 points where you want to split it, and utilize the Split Polygon command. You can do that to make all of your polys related to that one inner polygon.

Show us more of the lettering, and we'll help you figure out how to fix it.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

Tom2007
08-26-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure using subpatch objects is the best way to bo with text? Also, with any subpatch object it can be tricky to use the knife tool. If you cut the "wrong" way you can create non-3/4 sided polys that will not subpatch anymore.

When I've done text I've had success using two methods.

1 - Creating the text in an app like Illustrator, and using LW's EPS importer, which allows you so set the detail level. This will give you very nice looking polygons that look exactly like your text ready to bevel.

2. When given artwork - as you did I would put the image in the backdrop. Then I would use the Point tool to add points along the outline of each letter. Then I would select the points of each letter and create a close curve.

At this point I would usually need to use the Add point tool to add more points in areas that required more points to better match the letter. And I would use the drag tool to adjust the letter shape as well.

Use as few points as needed, which will make it easier to bevel. When complete, the Freeze command will turn your closed curves into polygons. (Though,its a good idea to save a separate copy of your curves in case you need to go back to them for some adjustment)

Algae998
08-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Thank you, AL and Tom2007, for your interest in this project of mine. I apologize for not being quicker to respond, I havent been around my computer in a couple of days.

Ive uploaded a screen shot of how far I got when I wasnt sure of what to do next. The top left window is set to front with my backdrop image that I did in photoshop (.psd). Idealy, and if all goes well, this will be my new logo and kind of like an introduction 3d turntable/logo for any videos I make.

I do know my way a bit around Illustrator that I could import my .psd or .jpg file and recreate it as a vertored image. Ive never used the EPS importer before. Will I easily be able to modify the text once it has been converted to 3d? My plan is to have some overlapping and depth to the letters rather than a flat smooth 3d logo.

Im still fumbling my way around this program...if you select two points, is the close curve and tool that you apply to two or more points?

Hopper
08-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Algae,

One thing I noticed about your shapes, is that you need to gain control over your edges. Your corners are unchecked, thus creating curves that will be determined by the distance between the points and the next point in your model. In order to gain control over the sharpness of your corners, I suggest you study Surrealist's tutorial. Specifically, the following link:

http://www.lightwiki.com/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling_Part_Two#Poly_Fl ow_Examples

Without even reading any of the tut, you can see the patterns used to define your edges and corners. If you're going to use subpatches for your model, this will be the way you want to do it.

Hope this helps... and if it does, you can thank Surrealist.

Tom2007
09-05-2008, 11:17 PM
I do know my way a bit around Illustrator that I could import my .psd or .jpg file and recreate it as a vertored image. Ive never used the EPS importer before. Will I easily be able to modify the text once it has been converted to 3d? My plan is to have some overlapping and depth to the letters rather than a flat smooth 3d logo.

Im still fumbling my way around this program...if you select two points, is the close curve and tool that you apply to two or more points?

If you use the EPS importer to import your Illustrator file you will end up with flat 2D polygons. At that point you can Extrude those polygons to give them depth. After you can select the front/face of those letters and use the bevel tool on them.

I would first do a test with some Illustrator file and import it into Lightwave.

Also if you have overlapping letters in your original artwork, you may want to split those letters up, and import them separately, and work with them initially in different layers.

If you tracing images in Modeler, this is one way to do it --- Increase the resulution of the image in the background to help accurately trace. Zoom in on egdges of letters. Then use point tool to place points along edges Do one letter at a time. When done, select all the point in order, and make a close curve. If curve does not exactly match your letter you can select curve and use Add Points tool to add more control point to your curve. For example you may need several points to create a corner of your letter.

Surrealist.
09-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the mention hopper. You beat me to it. LOL!

I can share a few tips also directed at your problem of getting the curves to match the background image.

First of course a look through my tutorial will help. But one thing I can point out off hand is you can use the drag net tool with the right setting (right click drag to adjust blue circle) to drag more than one point at a time and not disturb the bevel line too much. I use this all the time for exactly that.

Then try using cc subpatches to test out your curves as you go before you fill everything in with quads. Then convert back to normal subD.

So remember it is simple.

Cross hatch for those sharp edges.

http://www.lightwiki.com/images/0/0a/CrossHatch.gif

http://www.lightwiki.com/images/5/59/CrossHatch3D.gif

Edgeloops for the curves.

http://www.lightwiki.com/images/d/d0/EdgeLoop2.gif

http://www.lightwiki.com/images/d/de/EdgeLoop3D.gif

Inside corners take an edge loop with closely placed edges for a sharp crease.

http://www.lightwiki.com/images/5/52/LetterA6.gif