PDA

View Full Version : Modeler changes V8?

Fausto
07-30-2003, 11:18 PM
I've seen a number of the videos that have been circulating around illustrating the updates and changes to LW v8 but none of them related to the modeler changes. Is there a site/sites that have some additional information on this specifically.

Side note here*

I don't think Newtek do an adequate job of marketing their great products. I don't understand why they're not making a bigger deal, a larger splash with this information on the Newtek site. As far as I've been able to find, there's a couple of press releases that's it. Why aren't they giving better expamples, visuals and more focused marketing thrust to this event (the launch of V8)

just an opinion.

stone
07-31-2003, 02:28 AM
because lightwave8 wont launch for another 6 months. this is just a preview of some of the features that will come. the application will develop for another 5 months before its released.

no need to make the 'splash' just yet.

/stone

erikals
07-31-2003, 02:29 AM
I agree, but maybe we're just too impatient :)
I doubt that they did many changes to the modeler as I haven't read about one single Modeler feature. That's sad :(

Is it really 5 months before its released :confused: :confused:

stone
07-31-2003, 02:38 AM
this is ofcourse just me guessing, but i think the reason for lack of modeler features, are due to the lack of time. they have a bunch of stuff they want to implement and improve on, but as of yet they dont know if they can manage in the short time till its to be released.

either way, it have already been promissed that 8.x point upgrades will make significiant improvements to many of those features that wont make it into 8.0 at release time.

/stone

Fausto
07-31-2003, 08:06 AM
Well that just makes too much sense. I wasn't aware that V8 wasn't going to be released for another 5 months.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

F-

Bionic Antboy
07-31-2003, 08:26 AM
Actually, according to Newtek, it should be sooner than 5-6 months. I believe they were saying Q4 2003, which means anywhere between Oct 1st and Dec 31st. That makes it anywhere between 2-5 months (as of August 1st). Let's hope on 2 :)

Considering the advances demoed at SIGGRAPH, and the lack of crashes while showing off those features ;) I think they've made HUGE advancements to Layout, and I'd take that as an upgrade no problem, with Modeler untouched. I've never had any big issues with Modeler. I don't need to be able to Sub-D 7 or 8 point polys, because polygonal renderers turn everything into tris anyways. Better to build better geometry from scratch. :)

In other words, I'll take what they have now, and let them release point upgrades when they're ready :D

C-mon
07-31-2003, 08:30 AM
Stranahan said:

I said, days before the SIGGRAPH opened, that we wouldn't be able to annouce much of anything at SIGGRAPH and I explained why.
You'll be seeing Modeler announcements from NewTek in the coming weeks as we get closer to shipping. You'll also see other annoucements related to LightWave[8].

SIGGRAPH is an unveiling, not the end of annoucements.

So I hope that there will be some major changes for modeler too.

anieves
07-31-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Bionic Antboy
Actually, according to Newtek, it should be sooner than 5-6 months. I believe they were saying Q4 2003, which means anywhere between Oct 1st and Dec 31st. That makes it anywhere between 2-5 months (as of August 1st). Let's hope on 2 :)
--snip--

I saw a stream yesterday with an overlay graphic that said Q1 2004...

DeadMan
07-31-2003, 12:18 PM
:)

colkai
08-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by DeadMan

Clearly, fixing the weakest areas first is smart, but neglecting important areas, that also need work, would be suicide. Most people who use LightWave (most professionally) don't even use the ca tools, nor care about the improvements much.

Deadman - give it a godd*mn rest! :mad:

You've made this statement before, Lee has already point blank said it is simply not true.
Professional users not using CA tools or care about the improvments? Where do you think Newtek got the request from???

Ya I know you're just a troll - looking for thrills by incitement. I can see CIM-2 going the way of CIM.
:rolleyes:

ghopper
08-01-2003, 01:47 PM
YEAH - CIM is back :D

Personally, I would rather see NT not rushing out LW8, so Q1 2004 would be fine.

cagey5
08-01-2003, 01:50 PM
I suspect we'll see it a whole lot sooner than that.

papou
08-01-2003, 03:53 PM
I have no problem with Cim.
Can you please stop say 'Cim this Cim that...' coz it's more boring than Cim comments.
Lot of time ,Im totally agree with Cim.
I'm a old Lw user too. Very happy to work with. I don't want to switch to another soft, coz i like the way to work with Lw.
It's feeling thing.
I don't like Max, I like XSI but it's too expensive, and probably move to Maya one day if nothing change.

Newtek needs to make real improvement to it's renderer and modeler. MOdo looks so great. They are listen Lw users. They did improvement. They don't speak about lost time in dispute. They show real improvement.

Around me, a lot of my lw friend are moving...Newtek is peanut in Europe, All the works is Maya/Max/Xsi. only 1 school do LW.
Looks better in USA.

In my company, we are LW only now. I hope it's not the wrong choice....

I hope Nt is going to make a good app.

I'm a tired Lw user. Im tired to find turnaround to do something.
I still use Lw. I still angry with it. I still hope about 8.1 etc..
but i'm alone now.

So im with Cim and i'm happy to see him here.

hrgiger
08-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by papou
I have no problem with Cim.
Can you please stop say 'Cim this Cim that...' coz it's more boring than Cim comments.
Lot of time ,Im totally agree with Cim.

Yes Colkai, lay off of that total jerk CIM. Just because he's a simple-minded troll, doesn't mean you should make him out to be the jackass he is! He probably couldn't help the fact that he had the personality of hairy mole. So play nice.

EyesClosed
08-01-2003, 09:03 PM
It seems like the simple-minded trolls are you, hrgiger, and people like Policarpo, who do nothing more than attack others, hijack threads, and other trollish things.

I don't understand why so many people can't stop talking about CIM. Perhaps some of you need to get a life. :D

TyVole
08-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by EyesClosed
It seems like the simple-minded trolls are you, hrgiger, and people like Policarpo, who do nothing more than attack others, hijack threads, and other trollish things.

I don't understand why so many people can't stop talking about CIM. Perhaps some of you need to get a life. :D

I totally agree, and hopefully I'm not the only one. Those guys are nothing but small-minded, humorless bullies.

hrgiger
08-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Hmm, look everyone, CIM has yet another name...

TyVole
08-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Hmm, look everyone, CIM has yet another name...

Yes -- Hrigger.

hrgiger
08-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Ok, that doesn't make any sense...

meatycheesyboy
08-01-2003, 10:20 PM
hrgiger, I think what TyVole was saying was, yes, we have a new CIM and his name is hrgiger, implying that you are acting just like he did.

Just trying to clarify, not trying to argue or start anything, and definately not stating my own opinion one way or another.

riki
08-01-2003, 11:40 PM
There's been so much activity around here lately I just can't keep up :) Plus I've been showing some friends around Sydney. Can some one give me the expigated version.

ie What's new with LW? Has the special deal ended?? Who's sleeping with who that sort of thing :)

Also I think in future if they want to ban people they should put a block on the IP address (if that's possible) make it harder for banned individuals to make a come back under a different name.

mav3rick
08-02-2003, 06:37 AM
CIM IS DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!! roXooOR

Amadeus0
08-02-2003, 05:31 PM
What I want to know about LW8's Modeler is if it will be much faster. Deuce said that Layout was MUCH faster in previewing work, and I'm wondering if Modeler will see the same type of speed improvement.

Original1
08-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by papou

Around me, a lot of my lw friend are moving...Newtek is peanut in Europe, All the works is Maya/Max/Xsi. only 1 school do LW.
Looks better in USA.

In my company, we are LW only now. I hope it's not the wrong choice....

I hope Nt is going to make a good app.

I'm a tired Lw user. Im tired to find turnaround to do something.
I still use Lw. I still angry with it. I still hope about 8.1 etc..
but i'm alone now.

Lightwave has about 6,000 seats in Europe, but it is true that we often feel like the neglected part of the family, There is a strong tradition in the UK of Lightwave use, but very few of the colleges here teach it or use it on their animation courses here.

However you only have to look at the quality of the work done by Area 51 and people like Darkside Animation, DAG and others in the UK, there is plenty of good work done in Lightwave.

I have to say that the marketing here sucks, since the demise of AMGFX, (for whom Lightwave Sales was only one strand of their business, but we always had good support, from knowledgable individuals who were using it for post on a day to day basis) there is nobody or no one company dedicated to Lightwave promotion they all sell MAX and Maya alongside it. (Even heard the Benjamin Smith, who does Lightwave Q+A in 3D World was rumoured making a switch to Maya)

Many of the tutorials I see in Magazines here feature poor models, illustrations, or artwork which does not show lightwave at its best.

Working with other artists, I just find that most of them are ignorant as to what Lightwave can do and how fast the workflow is in the hands of an exprienced user.

There really needs to happen here is a shift in education on the capabilities of Lightwave, that needs a cordinated approach across the Media here, the documentation and tutorials have to improve instead of a situation where a Newtek Staff member was making money from DVD's made for a third party instead of focusing on good documentation and tutorials to be included with the product.

Newtek Europe is a very small team, and is therefore spread very thin on the ground here.

Hopefully Newtek will improve version 8.0 to really kick the workflow into gear, taking a jump on the competition. I may be critical from time to time but I love lightwave as a product and really want to see it be the best.

Hey Newtek Guys if you are listening I'll take on the job of European Lightwave and VT3 evangelist.:D