PDA

View Full Version : msi wind and lightwave 9.5 [advent4211]

cresshead
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
msi wind and lightwave>>

hi
i bought the advent re-badged msi wind laptop today called the advent 4211

SPECIFICATIONS:
1.6GHz Intel Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard disk, Intel 945GME Express graphics, 1,024 x 600 10in TFT, VGA, Realtek HD Audio, 3 x USB, 802.11bg WLAN, 10/100 Ethernet, 1.3MP webcam, 4-in-1 card reader, Windows XP Home, 1yr RTB, 1.15kg, 260 x 180 x 37mm (WDH)

now we've seen that in the past intel onboard chipsets have caused issues in modeler with selecting points or polys not updating in the viewport of lightwave 9.+

anyhow i've installed the final release version of lightwave 9.5 and can say that the onboard chipset on this pc is just fine...it displays and selects polys

now it's not a STUNNER for 3d...i had a model of 60,000 polys and that's quite workable in modeler and loaded up a space scene with 900,000 polys and that rendered okay

my only issue so far running lightwave 9.5 is that the surfaces panel is taller than the height of the screen res which is 1000x600 on the actual laptop screen...still i think if i autohide the taskbar i may see the bottom of it!

got the pc for watching training vids on the bus to nottingham so should be fine for that!

it's windows xp btw with 1gig ram.

review>>
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/215688/advent-4211.html

http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/laptops/advent4211540.jpg

:thumbsup::lwicon::)

Speedmonk42
08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Should run photoshop ok then.

Hmmmmm.

JonW
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM
............. Photoshop 8 bit images.!

Put something together with a Q6600 or Q9400 and 4 gig or ram & you will be half way to a V8. You can build these for next to nothing these days.

3DGFXStudios
08-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Dude why did you buy that thing? That's asking for problems. It has almost the same resolution as my telly!

cresshead
08-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Dude why did you buy that thing? That's asking for problems. It has almost the same resolution as my telly!

cos i wanted a small, light full on pc that runs windows xp, also runs coo [temperature not looks!] and doesn't cost an arm or a leg.

i already have 3 other laptops>
h.p. tablet pc dualcore amd [vista]
acer dual core intel [vista]
acer single core amd [xp]
i was using the h.p for my postable but it's so nice and perfect for zbrush i thought would be a shame to drag it around all the time when a cheaper/lighter
laptop would do for watching training vids, sufing the net round my friends houses when i visit, small amount of lw tweeks, toonboom, 3dsmax etc.

also take it along to the 3d user group we have on occasion.

back home i have a few workstations inc a quadcore 8gigram viata 64bit monster for large scenes.

3DGFXStudios
08-26-2008, 10:09 AM
aah quad cores, thats what I like! :)
Sounds like you have a separate computer for every occasion. I'm jealous! ;)

cresshead
08-26-2008, 10:18 AM
i actually went down town to buy some cat food and came back with yet another laptop!.was an impulse buy..once i found it was actually a rebadged msi wind.
...PLUS catfood!

yeah i seem to be collecting laptops this year!...this is the 3rd new laptop in the last 12months!...opps!

3DGFXStudios
08-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Hoo! get a grip , you're loosing it!!! LOL Those laptops they have you in their power...

cresshead
08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Hoo! get a grip , you're loosing it!!! LOL Those laptops they have you in their power...

can't wait for the 'op' to replace my arms with 8 tentacles...then i'll get some work done on ALL of them!

3DGFXStudios
08-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Hahahaha LOL :)

starbase1
08-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Did PC world stick their usual crapware and adverts all over it? I had the misfortune to get a normal laptop from them, it was almost like finding a preinstalled malware selection! Never again!

And the moron salesman in the shop kept trying to sell me anti virus software, even after I told him I was going to install Linux on it...

On the other hand, my lovely little eee 1000h, ah, now that had Open Office and skype installed out of the box, ready to use the built in webcam and averything! I actually find it useable for graphics work - I wouldn't try a heavy duty render, but I can set up stuff for later rendering easily.

And having upgraded to 2 Gb memory it can even run virtual machines at decent speed!

The only pain is things like games demanding the original CD is connected.

Nick

cresshead
08-31-2008, 06:17 AM
bought it from currys...no el crap-o-ware on it at all...except microsoft works 2008

80gig hd....plenty of room

has a webcam, good keyboard, 3 usb connectors, battery, function key to step the cpu down to save power if needed, intel atom chip is pretty wizzy..need to make a render test!..blue tooth, wifi...normal trackpad..a VERY nice matte screen..good headphone/sound and utter poo internal speaker [something had to be poo!]

scores well in my book.

runs really nice...installed lightwave 9.5 on it and toonboom 4.5 plus maya 8.5ple just to putit to the test!

lightwave's fine!...