PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX fun

Nangleator
08-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I've finally had some time to play with hair and fur over the weekend, and it seems like a winner.

Not that hard to get a good look.

Not that hard to create guides and style them.

Not hard at all to get dynamics working.

Of course, I was goofing off and not trying to create something specific. Is it as good a tool as it looks? How come I haven't seen tons of great hair pictures in the gallery?

mav3rick
08-25-2008, 04:29 PM
how come you didnt post any picture at all ?

Nangleator
08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
D'oh! Give me a couple days. I'm busy with laundry and the kitchen 1-hour modeling contest.

mav3rick
08-26-2008, 04:10 AM
lol
:) ok if it is laundry than i understand you . i live alone too :)

Tom2007
08-27-2008, 01:22 AM
When you use the FiberFX (pixel filter) in layout is it meant to be used with Viper? I tried enabling Viper (with FiberFX added to my object) and every time I did the initial F9 render Layout crashed?

Nangleator
08-27-2008, 04:51 AM
Viper has worked for me, but it is SLOW. Seems to lock up the computer. I had to disable it immediately.

colkai
08-27-2008, 05:13 AM
I'm busy with laundry and the kitchen 1-hour modeling contest.

Not two statements you'd expect to hear together. ;)

Nangleator
08-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Not the weirdest things I've done while using LightWave.

Animating a central venous catheter placement while chatting with my wife's family during a Christmas get-together. That was weird. At least it wasn't a female gynecologic surgery patient. I've done that sort of work before.

I'll do a hairdo for a Poser head tonight.

Nangleator
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Working on a head. A few days ago I got dynamics working with a ball of hair and guides from Modeler. I can grow guides in Layout, but are those subject to dynamics? I think not.
So I have to grow guides in Modeler and bring them in to Layout and...

I begin to see a problem.

ice_blade_za
08-28-2008, 02:12 AM
I've got a question. Honestly, if FiberFX in beta? I have never seen lightwave crash out so much in my life. Got a rolling hills scene, very simple idea now I need grass. Pump up the setting to cover the whole ground and guaranteed crash. Done on to totally diffrent systems (one core 2 with 8800GTS and one dual Xeon with Quadro)

Has any one else been playing the crashing game like I have ? Tips to avoid these crashes any one ?

Nangleator
08-28-2008, 05:11 AM
I know I played with it, with the few different ways of growing hair and fur, and got a number of good renders out of it, and put guides on in Modeler and applied dynamics to them, then rendered that. I didn't crash once. I know that happened.

Right?

I could not replicate that experience last night. Continual crashes. They usually happen when first applying the plugin, or when rendering. I don't think I've had it crash when adjusting a parameter.

It's bad. But I can see the potential. When they come out with the update that squashes those bugs, we'll have an amazing tool.

jasonwestmas
08-28-2008, 07:23 AM
To those having crashes with FFX: Have you installed the 9.5 beta before? If so then I would double check your config files, deleting those usually fixes my issues. I really don't know why so many are having problems with FFX crashing.

ice_blade_za
08-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I have to agree, I see a load of potential for a bug free version. Merhaps' I'm being a bit harsh, deadlines and all.

Newtek team, this is really heading in the right direction. Thanks.

Nangleator
08-28-2008, 07:31 AM
I did have an early version of the public beta installed. It's gone, and the configs should be, too. I'll check to see if there wasn't some cross contamination between the beta, 9.3 and my new install.

Between my two seats of LW, I've had to redo my keyboard shortcuts and menu layouts about 10 times recently. Looks like I'll be doing it again, just to be sure.

My work seat of LW won't run Layout 9.5. Modeler works great, and 9.3.1 works great. So I had to delete configs and retry several times. Now I've got custom configs for each version.