PDA

View Full Version : FBX errors

Larry_g1s
08-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm posting this here now sense this pertains particular to 9.5.

I'm having some issues with the fbx import, and not sure I'm doing it correctly. What I'm trying to do is from LW going to load scene, then locating the fbx file after changing 'file type' to allow the fbx file to show. Once I click on the fbx file it opens another window (wide thin window) that says 'fbx importer' and wants me to create the location directory for the .lwo. What's strange is I'm not getting the 'Load from Scene' window as shown below:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61882&d=1218971647

I've attached an image of what the object looks like after everything is complete. This has happened with two different files (not the one BeeVee posted).

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61897&d=1219031093

3DGFXStudios
08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Whats wrong with that? Nice model! ;)

Do you work with the 9.5 release or still a beta? I got sort of the same result in some early beta versions.

Larry_g1s
08-25-2008, 10:36 AM
This is with the 9.5 release, no beta. It also has done this with a aXYZ fbx file.

meshpig
08-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Larry

The link to the "Great Commandment" in Deuteronomy you have in your signature is broken.

-I'm curious because it was the law of David, not the Covenant or the 2nd Law which gave rise to our Lord Jesus Christ?

What do you think?

m:)

Larry_g1s
08-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey Thanks meshpig. But you can PM me next time, so the threads keep on topic.

Back on the subject, why is it that the FBX issue isn't a big problem with others, or no one knows how to solve it?

meshpig
08-26-2008, 03:53 AM
OK, with fbx you can't load it as if a (.lws) scene as there are no items as such to load.

Not every fbx file reads properly once imported but what it looks like you have done there is load everything below the root so use the importer.

meshpig
08-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Larry,

... off topic is OK. Thanks, the link works now.

- I still don't get why someone reading from Deuteronomy today has any bearing on the figure of Christ since he is the "son on man" so to speak?

-Mosaic law according to Jesus, along with the Covenant were abandoned via the resurrection as in "why hast though forsaken me" ... ; Jesus allegedly died for the "sins" of others thus leaving only the one commandment in his wake... to "love one another".

Well, hey, people often do love one another.

WCameron
08-26-2008, 06:42 AM
One thing that might work to atleast fix the model is open the scene editor and select all the bones, then push the r key - IE 'rest' all the bones.

- Will.

meshpig
08-26-2008, 07:48 AM
One thing that might work to atleast fix the model is open the scene editor and select all the bones, then push the r key - IE 'rest' all the bones.

- Will.

No, that won't work. Those nasty looking blue scrambled lines are void, as in where bones should be but aren't.

When imported properly you should see joints..

m

Larry_g1s
08-26-2008, 09:34 AM
OK, with fbx you can't load it as if a (.lws) scene as there are no items as such to load.

Not every fbx file reads properly once imported but what it looks like you have done there is load everything below the root so use the importer.

m:)Where is the FBX importer? All I see is the exporter.

meshpig
08-26-2008, 10:04 AM
The importer is now built into modeler and layout, so you load fbx via

or just open the file in modeler.

2 AM here off to zzzz;s.

m

Larry_g1s
08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
The importer is now built into modeler and layout, so you load fbx via

or just open the file in modeler.

2 AM here off to zzzz;s.

mStrange, the plug-in didn't work. Is it only for 32bit, because I'm running on a 64bit OS (XP).

What's strange, is that if I load the file as an object in Layout, it pulls in the object fine, with no textures, but no visible errors on the model. The downside is there are no bones imported. If I load the same file as a scene in an attempt to get the object with the bones, that's where it get's all goofed and the object isn't even there. Is this something I can contact NT tech support on?

meshpig
08-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Strange, the plug-in didn't work. Is it only for 32bit, because I'm running on a 64bit OS (XP).

What's strange, is that if I load the file as an object in Layout, it pulls in the object fine, with no textures, but no visible errors on the model. The downside is there are no bones imported. If I load the same file as a scene in an attempt to get the object with the bones, that's where it get's all goofed and the object isn't even there. Is this something I can contact NT tech support on?

No, that's usual. The visible errors in the mesh when you load the scene is most likely an orientation problem. Whilst the object loads OK the joints in the scene are orienting along another axis which isn't up.

-What program is it coming from? What are you using them for?

I'm running OSX and mainly use fbx for the (mac) Unity game engine and so I don't really know what to point to for PC or how the PC 9.5 get up works.

In any case the textures have to be UV'd for fbx so when you load it, set your projection mode to UV and you'll most likely find a UV map is already there.

m

Larry_g1s
09-03-2008, 09:38 AM
No, that's usual. The visible errors in the mesh when you load the scene is most likely an orientation problem. Whilst the object loads OK the joints in the scene are orienting along another axis which isn't up.

-What program is it coming from? What are you using them for?

I'm running OSX and mainly use fbx for the (mac) Unity game engine and so I don't really know what to point to for PC or how the PC 9.5 get up works.

In any case the textures have to be UV'd for fbx so when you load it, set your projection mode to UV and you'll most likely find a UV map is already there.

mI've tried a couple of fbx files. The one I show a screen shot for is an export out of Maya. But I've got the same errors from a fbx sample from aXYZ Design (http://www.axyz-design.com/axyz-design-3d-humans-characters-products-demos.php).

meshpig
09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I've tried a couple of fbx files. The one I show a screen shot for is an export out of Maya. But I've got the same errors from a fbx sample from aXYZ Design (http://www.axyz-design.com/axyz-design-3d-humans-characters-products-demos.php).

No screenshot, but I assume you mean it's all over the place like a mad woman's spit?

Try hiding all but the model itself in the scene editor. Some survive the rotation converter and some don't. I suspect older models will be crippled like this one below.

More recent ones will work perfectly.

m

Larry_g1s
09-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Okay...I had a chance to test a bit, and I came across the thread "Changing size of bones in 9.5?" because I thought it might be something with that. I've auto sized the bones in the preference settings (Preferences (d) > display > handles and icons > auto size bones) and came up with some better results (see attached image). FYI, this is not with the Maya export, it's only with the aXYZ-Design sample.

It still didn't load the actual object, all those null looking things are labeled parts of the objects. I'll try and see if I can pull in the object and hook it up with the bones.

EDIT: I just imported the object and it's like the size of a big toe in comparison to the bone set up.

meshpig
09-06-2008, 06:55 AM
...It still didn't load the actual object

The "actual" object in the fbx file format doesn't contain any bone info. Try clearing all bones and you'll see the mesh will revert to form.

The hierarchy looks like this with the mesh at the bottom as the product.

m

09-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Does LW 9.5(PC) import the textures from the FBX/Collada files?
If so then what are the settings/steps needed to do that?

Thanks.