PDA

View Full Version : Weight maps and Procedural textures

Otterman
08-25-2008, 07:37 AM
I want to emulate an orange peel effect in paint. Im using the Crust Procedural as a bump texture however, instead of a blanket texture covering the whole surface i want it to be present in just the nooks and crannys only. Here lies my problem...

....I want to create a weight map-painting in these areas. Im experiencing problems with using both airbrush and vertex paint....the 1st is v v v slow and the 2nd doesnt seem to work at all. Looking through the forums-im not the only one!

Any suggestions on how i get around this pickle?
Oh-and what do i do with this weight map once ive created it.....IE, how do i 'knock out' the Procedural texture in the unwanted areas?

Hope i make sense.....any pointers are very much appreciated....Oh im using a Mac-lw 9.3

Giacomo99
08-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Vertex Paint has been busted on the Mac for as long as I can remember (since v6.) The Airbrush tool is so unresponsive as to be basically useless.

My solution has been to pick clusters of points and set the value numerically under "Set Map Value." Yep, it's a real stupid solution, all right, and it's also the only reliable way I've found to do it.

If NewTek doesn't improve the implementation of weight maps, sooner or later a lot of users (including myself) are going to be moving to other software. The current state of weight maps in LW really is a cinderblock in the middle of the roadway.

SplineGod
08-25-2008, 08:41 AM
You might also try using an occlusion shader to create an image map of those nooks and crannys that you can later reuse as an alpha.

Otterman
08-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Weaaah! Weaaah!*

*me crying!

Darn it-thats a real shame, i though this would of been straight forward but heck...were talking newteck logic here

thanks guys! Il investigate your suggestions... ta!

SplineGod
08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
To be honest Id still do it the way I described just because of how much of a pain it would be to try and paint weights into all those tight areas. :)

Otterman
08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
O heck Larry-thats new territory for me-rendering out 2d texture maps from 3 dimensional geometry.

Am i correct in saying i need to hit the books on 'surface baking'? Please correct me if im wrong...would just appreciate a push in the right direction

SplineGod
08-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Use the baking camera. There are several 3rd party occlusion shaders you might be able to use to generate an alpha directly. :)

Otterman
08-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Ta Larry! Nice to jump into the unknown with at least a rubber inflatable ring around my waist to keep me a float hehe

OOZZEE
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
i think there is a video from proton that might be similar to what you need to do... in his 24 hrs of LW folder.

I think he does it with rust or something like that... cant recall exactly.

MooseDog
08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Here's the main interface link

24 Hours of Proton (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html)

and one of the vids on this subject

Weight Maps and Procedurals (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/1weight.mov)

:thumbsup:

Otterman
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Oo goody-fanx guys!